Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Are windows really that bad?

+3
dp1
Davey Cracker
milspec6
7 posters

Go down

Are windows really that bad? Empty Are windows really that bad?

Post by milspec6 Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:56 pm

I was driving around today and noticed that there are some amazing deals to be had on passenger vans, so I have to ask the question. Is a carpet cleaning van really that bad if it has windows? Sure, we all know that SS drives them, but that is what they built into their image. I'm talking about the rank and file cleaners out there. Does a passenger van make you look less professional as a cleaner? Can they be wrapped (glass and all)?

Are there any real negatives here to a passenger van? They have amazingly low miles and pristine interiors for used van. They don't have all the dings and scrapes from the monkeys that worked out of the back like a cargo van. Many even have aux heaters in the rear...who couldn't use that in the winter?

So what do you think? Can they work for a rig without damaging your image or hurt business due to expectations of the customers? Can they be insulated for the winter without looking like a hack?

milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Are windows really that bad? Empty Re: Are windows really that bad?

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:33 pm

milspec6 wrote:  Many even have aux heaters in the rear...who couldn't use that in the winter?

I can't lol! 

A window van certainly wouldn't be my preference, but hey if the price was right I'd make it work. dancing 
And by that I mean, I would totally black out the windows so you couldn't see in, and also so those areas could be used for storage just like you can do with a cargo van.

I think a wrap would be a great option, I've seen wrapped glass many times. Witch I think looks much better than just blacked out tinted windows. Then I would use something like thin plywood to cover them from the inside, to keep them from being accidentally broken, and to recoup the loss in storage space you loose with a window van.

I know from experience a usable window in the sliding door is great to have when backing out of a driveways. So that is one I would not block from being able to see out of at least, like I would the rest of the side windows. One problem (I believe) with a lot of passenger (window) vans is they have double swing out side doors, which as I said 'I believe' are a PITA and an inconvenient.

Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Yes, they are that bad ! I'm not bias but think about these disadvantages :
1. Theft, they can easily break them and if they're tinted, the thief wouldn't know if there are bars or plywood inside, and glass aren't cheap Razz
2. Accidental glass break from flying tools or snapped bungy cord or anything inside, if you're like me, I bungy corded a couple things and they snap once in a great while.
3. They usually have lighter suspensions than cargo vans, this may not be a big deal for some smaller TM but for bigger TM it is a problem.
4. Like Dave said, they usually have barn doors which I have no problem with but I know some do.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Good points (especially #3, I'm guilty), but suspensions can be beefed up and a thief can still bust out your driver's door window on a cargo van. Unless you have a caged divider, I don't think the extra windows pose a huge security risk over a cargo van. After-all, if the van carries a carpet cleaning logo on the side, the thief has a pretty good idea what is inside, windows or not.

Admittedly, I would not have considered a passenger van, but when you can get them for cheap, it leaves a lot more buying power for the equipment inside and it's the equipment inside that makes the money. Well, unless the image hurts business....that is where I struggle.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Yea, like you said Robert, windows or not if you have your name on the van it's no secret what's inside. And is the main reason I 'roll stealth', without advertizement on my van anymore. And also, I never had much luck with advertizing on the van getting jobs, although I do think it looks nice. Smile 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by REALCLEAN Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 pm

It's quite amazing what a quality wrap will do to any vehicle imo. The local Oxiclean guy drives a little Chevy HHR completely wrapped. It's a very nice looking work "van."
REALCLEAN
REALCLEAN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Davey Cracker wrote:Yea, like you said Robert, windows or not if you have your name on the van it's no secret what's inside.  And is the main reason I 'roll stealth', without advertizement on my van anymore. And also, I never had much luck with advertizing on the van getting jobs, although I do think it looks nice. Smile 
I ran that way for a year for the same reasons you note. I ended up switching only because it cut down on the neighborhood watchers calling when I cleaned in the evenings for nightshift workers. I have never had a customer tell me that they noticed my logo on the van and decided to call for a cleaning, I don't know how much it really helps either.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:59 pm

milspec6 wrote:Good points (especially #3, I'm guilty), but suspensions can be beefed up and a thief can still bust out your driver's door window on a cargo van.  Unless you have a caged divider, I don't think the extra windows pose a huge security risk over a cargo van.  After-all, if the van carries a carpet cleaning logo on the side, the thief has a pretty good idea what is inside, windows or not.

Admittedly, I would not have considered a passenger van, but when you can get them for cheap, it leaves a lot more buying power for the equipment inside and it's the equipment inside that makes the money.  Well, unless the image hurts business....that is where I struggle.
That's a good point, except with mine I put a full size board in between my seat and my TM, my TM height is almost to the ceiling, so there's no way they can go to the back, well unless if they break in the back glass and disable my alarm system Razz
And yes I would go with that if it's substantially cheaper with substantially lower mileage.
I also went stealth mode for theft reason, I've had wrap before and it didn't help at all with getting new custys.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:17 pm

REALCLEAN wrote:It's quite amazing what a quality wrap will do to any vehicle imo.  The local Oxiclean guy drives a little Chevy HHR completely wrapped.  It's a very nice looking work "van."
The problem I've seen is "very nice looking", it doesn't translate into calls or jobs.........But rather a billboard for hey look at me "I have 50k in equipment in this van'.
And here in this wonderful state of CA where everyone is so sue happy, you're a rolling lawsuit magnet with that "very nice looking" wrap. laughing
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CleanImage Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:22 am

I have seen verizon in my area driving passenger minivans with the windows covered in white vinyl. It looks great to me.

I think even putting white perforated vinyl over the windows (So you can still see out) would make it look more industrial.

I'd say go for it. I drive a 2002 Astro with windows and love it. It's a lot more comfy than the Astro Cargo I had before it too.
CleanImage
CleanImage
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor

http://www.cleanimagecarpetcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:41 am

I currently have one passenger van and have had another in the past. Two of my vans are incognito and two have logos. When/if the economy gets real good again I would like to make all my vans look pretty, but for now I just tell my customers to tell their friends to call the guy with the ugly vans. They laugh and referrals are strong... However, I usually get 4-6 jobs per year each from the vans with logos.
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.CarpetDaddys.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:11 am

Some of this passenger vans with wraps you can't even tell they have windows
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down