Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Changing your own oil?

5 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

Changing your own oil? Empty Changing your own oil?

Post by milspec6 Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:36 pm

Having spent most of my years working in the family's auto repair shop, I have always done most of my own repairs and always my own oil changes. Well, actually, I can't say that I always do my own oil changes as there have been times where I just had the mechanic do it when there was something being repired anyway.

With the harsh weather about to hit, I had the oil changed at a tire store while I was getting new tires mounted. One of the by-products of combustion is water and it will get into your oil, so by the time you approach the change interval, you may have quite a bit of moisture in there. Add the sub-zero temps and you will understand why that moisture is not a good thing.

Today, now that the bitter cold has passed, I decided to service the van to see if all is well. New tires air pressure...check. Undercarriage inspection....check. Lights....check. Fluid levels...check....wait a minute....wtf! My oil level was very low. I looked for leaks, none found. Checked tailpipe for signs of burning, nothing there. Maybe they used the wrong viscosity of oil? Something isn't right.

So, I decided to do another oil change to make sure of what oil is being used. Dropped the filter and drained the oil.....about 2.5 quarts!!! I had only driven this van about 120 miles since the servicing and there are no signs of leakage or burning. Conclusion, tire monkeys shorted me a lot of oil.

Finished oil change and fired it up....no smoke...no noise. Pulled plugs to inspect for oil control...dry. DON"T TRUST MONKEYS. Do your own or use a trusted mechanic for your oil changes. This one could have ended up costing me a motor before spring.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Changing your own oil? Empty Re: Changing your own oil?

Post by Mo Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 pm

I wonder how many engine the monkies have blown?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:43 pm

Robert,

One of two things.........

Either they didn't put enough oil in, duh right?! lol

OR, maybe your van did what mine did, all of a sudden started burning a lot of oil. At about 80k miles my van started burning a ton of oil...thought it was weird to start all of a sudden, with no obvious signs of lack of performance either. It literally started burning about a Qt. for every 1k miles.........something to keep your eye on.  cyclops 

But yea I don't trust most mechanics, esp. the oil change, Jiffy Lube type places.
And like you I've always done my own maint......due to lack of trust and because I'm capable.  Smile 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by REALCLEAN Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:05 pm

I've always run synthetic plus Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. It paid off big time about a month ago. My drain plug "fell" out, I spewed oil, oil light came on, I drove another 1/2 mile, no damage.

Apparently, someone is going around unscrewing drain plugs just enough that they'll rattle out while you drive. Some folks just need a life.
REALCLEAN
REALCLEAN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 pm

REALCLEAN wrote:I've always run synthetic plus Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.  It paid off big time about a month ago.  My drain plug "fell" out, I spewed oil, oil light came on, I drove another 1/2 mile, no damage.

Apparently, someone is going around unscrewing drain plugs just enough that they'll rattle out while you drive.  Some folks just need a life.

I'd be looking for your enemy!!.....because there's really nothing in it for the average person to lay under a car in the middle of the night loosing drain plugs.  laughing 

Or looking at who changed the oil last?........that more likely is the cause, and didn't get the plug tight!! Glad you didn't blow the ENGINE!!  cheers 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 pm

Man that really suck Knoxville glad you caught that in time.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:57 am

REALCLEAN wrote:I've always run synthetic plus Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.  It paid off big time about a month ago.  My drain plug "fell" out, I spewed oil, oil light came on, I drove another 1/2 mile, no damage.

Apparently, someone is going around unscrewing drain plugs just enough that they'll rattle out while you drive.  Some folks just need a life.

I used to see that a lot when the oil change centers started using air tools to install the drain plugs. Sure, it would save a few seconds to do so, but it also tended to strip the threads. We have had customers come in with drain plugs so badly stripped that they only had one thread left holding them on.

I would be more suspect of the guy who changed your oil than a goofball going around loosening plugs. Darn good thing you caught it in time, there are a lot of Lucas success stories out there....it saved an old Jeep of mine once.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:59 am

Davey Cracker wrote:Robert,

One of two things.........

Either they didn't put enough oil in, duh right?! lol

OR, maybe your van did what mine did, all of a sudden started burning a lot of oil. At about 80k miles my van started burning a ton of oil...thought it was weird to start all of a sudden, with no obvious signs of lack of performance either. It literally started burning about a Qt. for every 1k miles.........something to keep your eye on.  cyclops 

But yea I don't trust most mechanics, esp. the oil change, Jiffy Lube type places.
And like you I've always done my own maint......due to lack of trust and because I'm capable.  Smile 

I haven't ruled it out Davey, it is up around 65k now, but with a lot of idling time. That is why I pulled plugs, but it still could be burning it off in a fine mist. I will be watching closely, be sure of that.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by REALCLEAN Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:12 am

I change my own oil. Always have. I'm pretty OCD about every machine I own. I even take apart my vacuums and clean them each month. No way I'm not putting a plug on tight.

It's happened to several people here in town this past year, and its all vans and trucks, easy to get under. Engines have locked up on a some who didn't know to stop and kill the engine.

Lucas oil saved me. Stuff is worth every penny.
REALCLEAN
REALCLEAN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:42 am

REALCLEAN wrote:I change my own oil.  Always have.  I'm pretty OCD about every machine I own.  I even take apart my vacuums and clean them each month.  No way I'm not putting a plug on tight.

It's happened to several people here in town this past year, and its all vans and trucks, easy to get under.  Engines have locked up on a some who didn't know to stop and kill the engine.

Lucas oil saved me.  Stuff is worth every penny.

I would be looking to give someone a 2 inch necktie then! We used to have a kid that went around and locked people's hubs on their trucks at night causing a lot of failed bearings. He finally got caught by a neighbor's pit bull......may the same thing happen to your kid.

I just hope that it isn't a rival looking to shut you down, they do exist out there.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:58 am

REALCLEAN wrote:I change my own oil.  Always have.  I'm pretty OCD about every machine I own.  I even take apart my vacuums and clean them each month.  No way I'm not putting a plug on tight.

It's happened to several people here in town this past year, and its all vans and trucks, easy to get under.  Engines have locked up on a some who didn't know to stop and kill the engine.

Lucas oil saved me.  Stuff is worth every penny.

Is there a remote possibility that it is one of the guys who works/owns a shop? Maybe trying to drum up business by blowing people's motors?

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by REALCLEAN Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:06 am

No idea. It's mostly been in west part of Knoxville where I live. Police think its just teen vandals.
REALCLEAN
REALCLEAN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Might I suggest replacing your drain plug with something that requires a special socket? I know that Subaru always had some funky shaped drain plugs to prevent tampering.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down