Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Anyone have the blower end of a coupler just start free-spinning on the blower shaft?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone have the blower end of a coupler just start free-spinning on the blower shaft? Empty Anyone have the blower end of a coupler just start free-spinning on the blower shaft?

Post by Eric Valentine Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:07 pm

My coupler to the blower is free spinning on the shaft now. The socket screws were still very tight, but didn't seem to be long enough to be hitting the shaft. Under the screws/bolts, it appears there is a set screw due to the difference in the depth of the threaded hole, and the thickness of the coupler.

The set screws look like they are stripped out (no place for an allen wrench to go to remove them). I tried to hammer an old flathead screwdriver into the screws a bit and back them out, but I just get shavings. I have a feeling the set screws had other screws put in behind to keep them in.

The annoying part is that the blower shaft is not keyed, so the 2 little set screws look to be the ONLY thing that held the blower shaft, hooked to an 18HP engine. This TM has suffered from poor design for a long time (Century 400 avenger 210), and doesn't have 1000 hours yet, but it seems that it was designed to fail all the time. I have to remove the blower to change a belt, as the blower and engine shafts are almost touching.

With no place closer than 150 miles to get service, what do you all recommend? I have several jobs wanting stuff done NOW, and no machine to do it!
Eric Valentine
Eric Valentine

http://www.valentinescarpetcare.com/blog/

Back to top Go down

Anyone have the blower end of a coupler just start free-spinning on the blower shaft? Empty Re: Anyone have the blower end of a coupler just start free-spinning on the blower shaft?

Post by Pro Touch Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:40 pm

I've had great success with left handed drill bits to remove stripped or broken bolts. If you cant find them, Easy Outs are another option to remove damaged bolts or screws. Just be very careful to line up properly to not cause additional damage. If the threads are stripped already then you can drill and re-tap to the next size. Hope this helps.
Pro Touch
Pro Touch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Anyone have the blower end of a coupler just start free-spinning on the blower shaft? Empty Re: Anyone have the blower end of a coupler just start free-spinning on the blower shaft?

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Eric, I just sent you a PM with my number.

It's too bad I didn't catch you earlier, but I tried..............When you started a thread earlier today about this/replacing the belt. Because I responded telling you about the Link V-Belt so you didn't have to mess with coupler to replace. But when I sent my reply you had already deleted the thread I guess. That's when I sent you the 1st PM.

But now you have the frozen coupler problem, pale  which like I said in PM I just went threw, so I still may be able to help you.

Just give me a call!
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:10 pm

BTW what size coupler do you have/need? Maybe a #7? Love-Joy or maybe a Martin?

Couplers have numbered sizing. The bigger number the bigger coupler. My machine uses a 7, and then the other size is the shaft/hole diameter. No sure but they might come in keyed and non keyed also.
So I can point you in the right direction to get one ASAP, and prob also help you get the old frozen on off.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Eric
I replied earlier but it didn't post. If the coupler is spinning then you have a problem.
One pull the blower. f you have a machine shop close see if they can get the pulley off drill and tap to a larger tap. Now here is the bad news if the blower shaft is damaged then the new screws may not hold. Now a service shop will tell you that the blower will have to be replaced. Now here's the problem if you have belt pulley behind the coupler and the belt will not go between the blower and crank shaft then you have to find out if there room to cut the blower shaft just enough for belt to clear the shafts. Now if this can be done then the coupler half on the blower shaft possibly can be wielded in place and the engine side be moved to change the rubber coupler. I have seen this done on a Boxxer 421 but this coupler has a sleeve that slides back to replace the rubber part. Do not let the machine shop drill through blower shaft  I have a customer that knows why it weakens the shaft. make sure the blower turns freely.  Without seeing it I don't know what else to tell you sorry hope this helps. 
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Wow this is what the cleaners lounge is all about. Thanks for helping out guys
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone have the blower end of a coupler just start free-spinning on the blower shaft? Empty I think it is fixed!

Post by Eric Valentine Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:52 pm

I drilled out the holes to 17/64 with a cobalt drill bit (made to drill through hardened steel) and tapped it with 5/8" 18 threads. The new holes were drilled deep enough to go about 1/16" into the shaft, leaving a little bowl depression for the new BOLTS (not set screws) to sit in the little depression. I found where the factory had a shallow hole in the shaft, and that was used for one bolt. 1.5" stainless socket head bolts were used to go into the 1" threads in the coupler plate.

That coupler isn't going anywhere now! Better to have 1" of threads holding than the 3/16 that the set screws had.

Total cost: about 37 dollars with tax (I broke one tap off in the hole. I abandoned that hole and just drilled a new one Wink )

2 taps @ 4.99 each
thread tap handle @ 9.99
cobalt drill @ 11.99
2 1.5" stainless bolts @ 1.70 each

Breaking off a thread tap....annoying

Learning how to drill and tap while doing it with my father's help.......PRICELESS
Eric Valentine
Eric Valentine

http://www.valentinescarpetcare.com/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Glad to hear you got it fixed, Eric! :albino: 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Yeah way to stick with it you're back in business.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down