Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

What was the first vehicle you ever purchased?

+7
Davey Cracker
Pete@TCC
milspec6
Freemind1
TimM
dp1
Mo
11 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What was the first vehicle you ever purchased? - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the first vehicle you ever purchased?

Post by ACE Services Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:42 pm

Still driving a stick shift my 97 F150 is a 5 speed with 335000 when the odometer stopped working. But it's better than my wife's POS chevy Trailblazer she got Aug. 20 drove it 3000 miles and the trans. died 2002 with 133000 $1800 to repair more than it's worth. Never has my name been on a chevy title. LOL
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

What was the first vehicle you ever purchased? - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the first vehicle you ever purchased?

Post by Mo Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

This thread is doing exactly what I wanted to do Rob. To take back to the good old days when cars were stylist, built well and fun to drive
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro Touch Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:45 pm

1972 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser.
Pro Touch
Pro Touch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:58 pm

I could use on of those for this winter
What was the first vehicle you ever purchased? - Page 2 2Q==
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 pm

ACE Services wrote:My first car was a 71 Comet GT. Three speed in the floor. Would run 96 in the quarter stock. Paid $125.00 those were the days most kids today wouldn't know how to start it let alone shift the gears.

Like this one?
What was the first vehicle you ever purchased? - Page 2 9k=
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Wish mine had looked that good. But same body but dark green.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Pro Touch wrote:1972 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser.

Now that was a great truck.

I had a '69 for about a year in college. It had a Chevy straight 6 swap (shared the same lower block as the Toyota) and was missing most of the floor. I would have kept it except that there are only about 2 places that supply parts for them and they are both very expensive.

I ended up selling it to a guy in South Dakota who gave me $1600 for it and it needed everything! Heck, half the body was missing and I had to use a sledge hammer to broke the rusted drums loose.

If you ever find a cheap one...grab it, they are better than a muscle car in value when restored.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:55 pm

ACE Services wrote:Wish mine had looked that good. But same body but dark green.

Just like I wished my Squareback looked like that picture.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:58 pm

milspec6 wrote:

I had a '69 for about a year in college.  It had a Chevy straight 6 swap (shared the same lower block as the Toyota) and was missing most of the floor.  I would have kept it except that there are only about 2 places that supply parts for them and they are both very expensive.

I ended up selling it to a guy in South Dakota who gave me $1600 for it and it needed everything!  Heck, half the body was missing and I had to use a sledge hammer to broke the rusted drums loose.

If you ever find a cheap one...grab it, they are better than a muscle car in value when restored.
No floor? Did you stop the car Fred Flintstone style? Did the chicks dig it? Very Happy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Mo wrote:
milspec6 wrote:

I had a '69 for about a year in college.  It had a Chevy straight 6 swap (shared the same lower block as the Toyota) and was missing most of the floor.  I would have kept it except that there are only about 2 places that supply parts for them and they are both very expensive.

I ended up selling it to a guy in South Dakota who gave me $1600 for it and it needed everything!  Heck, half the body was missing and I had to use a sledge hammer to broke the rusted drums loose.

No floor? Did you stop the car Fred Flintstone style? Did the chicks dig it? Very Happy

Pretty close actually! I sat on a trash can to drive it home....ended up slapping some steel mesh between the frame rails to keep from falling through the floor.

As for braking.....I still had 2 drums that worked and it was geared so low that it didn't get over 40 around town anyway.

By the way, it was a dark green as well.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Just picturing you sitting on a trash can driving that car cracks me up Rob. Did you at least have a seat for you date?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Mo wrote:Just picturing you sitting on a trash can driving that car cracks me up Rob. Did you at least have a seat for you date?

Yes....same trash can.

Best part of primitive Jeeps and Fj40s were they made great date vehicles. Open tops, fun and very bouncey over bumbs.....I especially liked the boucey part. Rolling Eyes
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Same trash can laughing
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SCCC Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:32 am

Vw bug, all of my friends had them, back in the day it was a great first car. Cheap and slow, so we found a way to still piss off our local cops by lowering the snot out of them and opting for a nice fat stinger out the back.
Oh man so many fix it tickets back then
SCCC
SCCC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:38 pm

SCCC wrote:Vw bug, all of my friends had them, back in the day it was a great first car. Cheap and slow, so we found a way to still piss off our local cops by lowering the snot out of them and opting for a nice fat stinger out the back.
Oh man so many fix it tickets back then

Man, we seem to all have had the same cars.

I owned 3 of them my senior year in HS. A '66 that we used to race, a '70 that was a convertible, and my favorite was the '69 factory baja with stinger pipe.

In fact, we mounted a tractor flap on top of that stinger to keep the rain from rusting it out. It bounced on the pipe at idle with metallic "dings"...loved it. We would slso drop golf balls down the pipe and shoot them over the school's gym like a mortar. Rolling Eyes

Best bugs were the regular beetles...skip the super beetles that came along around '72 as they had bad front suspension. Oh, and the early fuel injection system was garbage.

I always wanted to buy one from Mexico since they were still producing them up until the mid-90's, but the whole licinsing issue was just too much of a pain.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by SCCC Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Yep 1969 bug, I hope to someday build one, I loved my car, we built a 1835 cc 130 cam dual carbs it was awesome, it lasted about 3 months, when we put it together we didn't realize we need to shim the cylinders, so I was running hella high compression, we were racing up the Yucca Valley grade and blew the side of the block to the moon.
But before that I could climb that grade as fast as I wanted
SCCC
SCCC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:49 pm

SCCC wrote:Yep 1969 bug, I hope to someday build one, I loved my car, we built a 1835 cc 130 cam dual carbs it was awesome, it lasted about 3 months, when we put it together we didn't realize we need to shim the cylinders, so I was running hella high compression, we were racing up the Yucca Valley grade and blew the side of the block to the moon.
But before that I could climb that grade as fast as I wanted

Awesome!
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Good times. Blowing golf balls out the stack pipe Very Happy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SCCC Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:42 am

That is funny, we would put all kinds of crap in the stingers of each others cars as a joke you never knew what would come shooting out of there after a night of youthful partying !!!
Me and my buddy were sitting at a stop light all cool in all, in his 69 bug had the house stereo speaker blasting we looked at each other and realized the freaking car was filling with smoke... his dumb butt and his 15" house speaker weighed down the back seat and arched on the battery and almost caught on fire...it looked like the chong bros with all the smoke pouring out of the car... oh what a bunch of dip shoots we were
We had some good times in our bugs
SCCC
SCCC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:11 am

SCCC wrote:That is funny, we would put all kinds of crap in the stingers of each others cars as a joke you never knew what would come shooting out of there after a night of youthful partying !!!
Me and my buddy were sitting at a stop light all cool in all, in his 69 bug had the house stereo speaker blasting we looked at each other and realized the freaking car was filling with smoke... his dumb butt and his  15" house speaker weighed down the back seat and arched on the battery and almost caught on fire...it looked like the chong bros with all the smoke pouring out of the car... oh what a bunch of dip shoots we were
We had some good times in our bugs

That is a classic bug story! Very Happy I liked how there was an extra battery compartment with drain holes....fit a 6-pack with ice pretty well.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:36 am

That is funny SC and yes to the house speaker in the back. That reminds me of the time my friends and I were in my Squareback in the hood waiting for a friend. All of a sudden we see two guys carrying stuff from a house crossing the street right in front of us. They were burglarizing the house.

The guy in my front seat thought it would be a good idea to scare the guys off so they could stop ripping that house off. I said, "" Don't do that. Are you crazy? He get out of the car walked to the guys, puffs out his chest and yelled," Hey what the hell are you guys doing!"

The dude carrying the speaker put the speaker down and pulls a big ass gun from his pants points it right at him and says, " What did you say mother efer?" My friend un puffs hist chest and runs right back to my front seat. So here I am pulling a 3 point turn all the while the guy is still pointing the gun at us. Of course my two friends got their heads down while Im sticking my head up making sure I don't crash into anything.

Now this thread bring back memories I haven't thought about in a long tome

Last edited by Mo on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:15 pm

This is going to date me. In 1966 I bought a 1955 Oldsmobile four door hard top for $100. My dad had traded it in the day before on a Corvair and got $200. I knew what kid of shape it was in due to the fact that my dad was the service manager at a local dealership. It had over 265,000 miles on the odometer when I sold it.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Ahh yes the gold old days when you could buy a car for a couple of hundred dollars. I believe I paid 800.00 for my 66 squareback
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Mo wrote:Ahh yes the gold old days when you could buy a car for a couple of hundred dollars. I believe I paid 800.00 for my 66 squareback

So true...

'47 willys with plow ....$500
'66 VW Bug.....$350
'69 VW Baja.....$550
'77 Ford Ltd.....$1000
'69 Bonneville.....$1850

Those amounts couldn't cover my monthly gas bills now in my rust bucket Crown Victoria. Crying or Very sad
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:37 pm

If you would have kept those VW they would have been worth thousands of dollars today and not fixed up either.

I should have know Rob would be cruising around in a Nack vehicle. Its not the crown vic that used to blow up is it. I actually saw a into fro sale on craigslist
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2