Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

What did you guys do this weekend?

+2
SCCC
Mo
6 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What did you guys do this weekend? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you guys do this weekend?

Post by milspec6 Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:31 am

Cement costs are high these days thanks to the international market buying so much of it now. I want to pave my driveway this year, but it was quoted at 12k for the job....it was half that 6 years ago.

I think the price is going to keep going up, so if you want to do it Mo, do it now.

One way to find a deal is to contact any construction in the area. Every job normally over-estimates the yardage needed as a cushion and would love to be able to sell the rest of it rather than dumping it.

If you are not in a hurry, contacting the local job sites will get you that slab for about 1/3 of the price....but it will wait until it fits their schedule.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

What did you guys do this weekend? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you guys do this weekend?

Post by ACpower1 Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:46 pm

We have rental places here that will rent you a little trailer full of concrete or cement, it opens in the back to dump right in a wheelbarrow

So you just pull it behind your truck and refills are cheap.

forming for concrete is pretty easy especially for a driveway, just do it in sections making sure to account for drainage
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:38 pm

This all reminded me of a video I watched years ago where Bob Villa was asked to smooth a slab of a driveway pour.....he butchered it and then handed the trowel back to the guy and walked away.

I will try and find that video....it must still exist.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Don't think I want to attempt to do that on my own. I would probably pull a Bob Villa. I was quoted 600.00 for labor and cement today.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Yea concrete is one of those things best left to the pros, you only get one chance to get it right and a limited about of time to do so before it goes off.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brianbenaiah Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:16 pm

Thats a good price if done right Smile It's easy with all the right tools, only if its not 110 out and the cement truck comes late at 10:00 instead of 7 when he was suppose to and your kids who have never poured before are helping you and you almost lose it even though you ask for the slump to be wet to cure slower. Cleaning carpets is much funner Laughing
brianbenaiah
brianbenaiah
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:32 pm

Just spent 800.00 getting most of the house painted. The painters that climb these ladders are nuts. The dude must have been hitting 60 and overweight don't know how he does it. The painter cleaned carpet for 20 years and hated it Very Happy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by brianbenaiah Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Thats funny i spent over 25 years painting and doing evertying except HVAC and carpets are a nice change. 800 is a good deal with or with out paint included, I use to be able to charge 2.00 sf to paint exterior but after the crash of 08 had to bring it down a Heck of alot less because everyone decided to be tight wads and now there are so many painters that I have no idea what they charge probably .25 a foot. I even see carpet cleaners advertising painting on the van.
It must be some sort of a cycle in every trade but thankfully we are in a capitalistic society with free trade so do what you enjoy and do it with all you got and charge for the service because a workmen is worthy of his hire.
brianbenaiah
brianbenaiah
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:07 am

Good thing to know I got a goo deal. The only downside is I had to go and pick up the paint and the 1 gallon that was oil based opened up and spilled all over my truck bed Evil or Very Mad 

Carpet cleaning is definitely less hazardous you don't have to worry about breaking bones and killing your self every time you go to work.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by brianbenaiah Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:26 am

You had to go pick up the paint, I like customers like you that go the extra mile instead of me having to go the extra mile all the time and costing time and $'s. That oils based is some good trim paint though and good for direct sunlight, built and painted this cover so we wouldnt have to buy canvas tops any more. 175 a gal. Red
What did you guys do this weekend? - Page 2 20140610
brianbenaiah
brianbenaiah
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:09 am

Yeah I used it for the gutters. You painted the canvas? Good idea.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2