Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

direct drives

5 posters

Go down

direct drives Empty direct drives

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:45 am

I'm seeing a lot of used DD for sale. Units pulled from the van.
Aren't they really hard to re install?!?
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

direct drives Empty Re: direct drives

Post by Rainbow Rider Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:32 pm

It might not be too bad if they have all the drive line brackets and the same engine, make, and model. You'd likely have to do the job yourself.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:06 pm

Rainbow Rider wrote:It might not be too bad if they have all the drive line brackets and the same engine, make, and model. You'd likely have to do the job yourself.

To go through all that sounds like a pita. I would guess that things have to lined up with precision, or there would be problems.
Butler wount even re install a used butler; from what I hear.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:15 pm

I think it would be a good option myself...the problem I see is finding the right van for the unit....I love mine but hate the Chevy van! feels cheap...doesnt even run close to a ford van. Im not a ford vs chevy guy either...I just want something dependable....I worry about my van and its ability...I have 30k miles and shouldnt feel that way.

Butler sells the heck out of used van/system combos!...Im not a fan of Butlers customer service. I wanted one bad but we against it due to lack of cust. service

Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:50 pm

Devon07,

I one the other hand love my Chevy vans. Had nothing but problems with the older Fords. One thing to keep in mind is heat. On one Ford van the exhaust pipe ran close to the starter. Not a problem if the vehicle is moving. Big problem if it's sitting still and running 2400 rpm. I tried everything to shield the starter from the heat. Flashing, wrapping, etc. Still had to replace the starter once a year. Same thing with the battery. About every two years. My ten year old Hydramaster CDS in a Chevy van runs like a charm. Gear reduction means the engine loafs along at 1500 rpm while the blower is singing at 3000rpm.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:53 pm

They may be good...I just cant be confident when they make everything so cheap in them....First day I broke the cargo box on the dog house.....second week I broke door handle...it was locked and I thought it was open...came off in my hand....have you ever noticed while driving and see one head light on a newer vehicle is out? Chevy! Im hoping the motor is better than all the plastic falling off it....the whole dash will rattle like an old truck....I used to really like chevy trucks but when I drove and owned a ford...I was hooked. We shall see how this plays out....I hope it changes my perspective.

Last edited by Devon07 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:03 pm

You can remount a dd like Butler into a similar model van, but it would probably not be cost effective. The last time that I looked at it, it would have cost about $2000 in parts to move my butler unit....not to mention the labor costs as it is very tight inside a van's engine bay.

What they are great for are in-shop plants. You can buy a used dd for less than 2k and run it with an electric motor inside your shop for a killer set-up for doing rugs and furniture.

As for the starters over-heating, yes, that is a killer problem on direct drives as are the cooking of belts and hoses. The good news is that it isn't to difficult to fix.

I run the unit with the hood open which really helps keep the engine from cooking like an oven. The other one is to replace the factory starter with a racing style high torque starter.....never have those issues again.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:48 pm

My 05 Express van came with one. Almost 100,000 miles and it works fine. Your idea with an electric motor driven in plant machine is a great idea.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:18 pm

My last shop an old butler set up for in-plant work and I hope to do it with the next shop. It was very quiet and real money maker when you can get those units so cheap.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:56 am

Most of those issues have been worked out for yrs now. At least the ones I've installed and worked on. Now I'm a Ford man but if you are going to get a DD go Chevy. Install in a Ford is a PITA. 
As for the other my wife owns a Chevy trailblazer. Got it used yr ago. Had to rebuild the transmission at 130000, that's  $2000 and I've changed more light bulbs in the last yr than I have ever changed on ford's. Now I've got to change the heater core. Did I mention it's my wife's vehicle, my name has never been on a gm title. My van spent it's first 10 yrs as a chemdry van with a tm installed. I've been driving it almost 4 yrs biggest thing I've had to do is replaced the rear axle seals. 240,000 miles. My 97 f150 360,000 miles.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:11 am

I have to agree on the Ford for reliability....just not the best for steering and ride quality. Chevy really does have the better ride.

Still, I prefer Fords....bad steering and all.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:49 am

Chevy trucks are great riding vehicles....I like to travel around in them....If its a work horse Im all about Fords.....I never had a steering issue....Chevy would make me feel a little more convinced if the plastic was of better quality....just reminds me of my GI Joe toys.....wait, those were stronger.

I was going to get a Ford to put the DD in but they were harder to find and the installer was bragging on chevy....figured it was an easier install....but it only been little things so I not disappointed yet.....I just worry about the unknown.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:29 am

Install on Chevy 15 hr. Ford 18 - 20 hr
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic