Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing

+4
Andy Mc
carpetdaddy
dp1
Mo
8 posters

Go down

The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing Empty The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing

Post by Mo Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:28 pm

The one I'm going to test is Fiber Cop from Vackaway, Its the only one I have. I was keeping an eye out for scraps but couldn't find any. I presume our local Carpet One will have one. What should the parameters be? Spray protector on one side let it cure for 24 hours spill some coffee, red punch etc.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing Empty Re: The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing

Post by dp1 Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:10 pm

Never used that, always use 3M and never really do some testing but what you were thinking sounds good, treat one side with it and spills same type of thing on both sides.
Anyone use prochem fluorochemical protector on their own carpets or couch that can give me feedback on the quality ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing Empty Re: The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing

Post by carpetdaddy Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:11 am

dp1 wrote:Never used that, always use 3M and never really do some testing but what you were thinking sounds good, treat one side with it and spills same type of thing on both sides.
Anyone use prochem fluorochemical protector on their own carpets or couch that can give me feedback on the quality ?
I use Prochem Fourguard which is a dupont fluorchemical on my house and my mom's house. Very happy with it. Liquids don't seem to really bead up when spilled, but the spots/stains come right out. dancing  (Sorry, I love this dancing bannana)
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.CarpetDaddys.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mc Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:42 am

what ever you spill let it sit for a couple weeks, before cleaning, a traffic lane test would be cool too. Spray half and soil the crap out of it, (OH NO was that disrespectful?) see if it cleans up better then on treated side.

Andy Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm

I tried the Fiber Cop in the past in a baby powder scent. As a protector, it worked okay for the price, but real charm was that baby powder scent....darn if it didn't actually smell just like baby powder!!!

Used to use it on furniture for clients that were new mothers...they really liked that scent.

As for testing, I like real world stuff. Instead of trying to decide what to use for a test, just use the product at home and see what happens. When I test something, I will use it on a cheap accent rug that I throw in front of the entry door for a month. I consider that a real world kind of test.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:27 pm

carpetdaddy wrote:
dp1 wrote:Never used that, always use 3M and never really do some testing but what you were thinking sounds good, treat one side with it and spills same type of thing on both sides.
I use Prochem Fourguard which is a dupont fluorchemical on my house and my mom's house. Very happy with it. Liquids don't seem to really bead up when spilled, but the spots/stains come right out.  dancing  (Sorry, I love this dancing bannana)
Thanks for the feedback Joe, I thought the fluorochemical protection should make the liquid spills bead up, oh well, I guess they really don't make stuff as good as they used to, about the dancing banana, you and davey both love that thing, lol.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:15 pm

the crazy beading action really only works for nylons and other tight weaved carpets.
I am surprised no one has mentioned using an encap side by side..
no fluorochemical will ever get a green seal
bounce
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Initial test with Hard Ball Soil Blocker. I cut a new piece of carpet and tested it for stain resistance. As expected, spills blotted out easily. Next I filled a spray bottle with a cationic heavy duty floor stripper solution, thoroughly sprayed the piece of carpet, did a dance on it to really work it in, let it sit and dry overnight. The next night I tested a corner with some coffee and blotted it up. Sure enough the carpet stained.

Now I misted the right side of the carpet - approx. one sq/ft - with 1/10 of an ounce of Soil Blocker using a trigger sprayer (barely open). I brushed it in with my finger tips and left it alone for about twenty-four hours.

I poured Diet Coke on both sides of the carpet and let it sit for a couple of minutes
The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing <a href=The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing Soda_b10" />

Blotted up the spills alternating with a dry and damp cotton towel
The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing <a href=The Cleaners Louge Protector Testing Soda_a10" />

The spill on the side with the Soil Blocker blotted up completely. There is a stain left behind on the untreated side.

Next, I did the same thing (a little higher on the same piece of carpet) using coffee. The results were the same. The treated side blotted clean and the untreated side stained.

After this initial test I am feeling pretty good about the Soil Blocker. However, before I give it a thumbs up or down I want to test it out on a room in my house. I have crappy fourteen year old white speckled crappy carpet, two dogs, and four cats. Should be a pretty good testing ground Sad  . We are super slammed right now so it may be a couple of weeks before I can do the full test.
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Nice results, and I think a fair test plot.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for posting that Joe ,very interesting initial testing and you can see in the pic the soil blocker side performed better. Soil Blocker is the water based protector If I remember correctly?

I finally found a scrap of carpet on the side of the road yesterday. Only a carpet cleaner would pull over the side of the road to pickup a piece of carpet:D 

But it looked like a new piece from an install so I put it in front of the downstairs door in the garage so I can soil it up and wear it down a bit
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by CleanImage Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Soil Blocker is my favorite protector. Really good stuff and economical too.
CleanImage
CleanImage
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor

http://www.cleanimagecarpetcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:00 pm

carpetdaddy wrote:Initial I brushed it in with my finger tips and left it alone for about twenty-four hours.

I hope you wore gloves! affraid 

Glad to see your testing your protector!
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:08 pm

Do you happen to know what exact type of carpet that is sir?
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:14 pm

very low grade nylon
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Any help on how to test is welcomed

Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:30 pm

What do you guys think?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:43 pm

the untreated side looks to have repelled better and has less of a red hue...

Isn't that pet polyester not nylon? If so its already got oil on it stock from the factory which they do "rinse" but never gets it all off in the making process of it. With this being said..

You would need to use a Solvent based Protector not water based. The water base is just going to leave a residue and just get repelled off the carpet in turn doing nothing. But the Solvent based will cut with the oil already on the fibers.. Kinda like the term "like dissolves like"

Just like when doing a grout protection. Some Sealers leave a white residue (mostly water based ) and the best way to get rid of the white residue on grout is to (remember like dissolves like ) use a rag with more solvent sealer on it and wipe up all the residue while leaving it dry as possible.

Also your getting good at the videos Mo! Are you still using windows video maker?
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Yeah Charlie the untreated side repelled the juice a lot better and looked better afterwards too. I wonder if adding protector to the protector baked on at the factory somehow compromised it. Like I said the carpet looked brand new. I may have messed up on the burn test. When I burned the fiber the ash was grey. If I were to see this carpet wall to wall I would think its a poly. Maybe its a blend.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:01 pm

I was afraid to say anything thinking that I had my left and right screwed up when I saw the results. I am not a very experienced guy with protectors, but Charlie sounds like he has it pegged with why the results were what they were.

I also agree, those videos are pretty darn good quality Mo.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks guys. I'm turning into a regular Steven Spileberg. Did you know that you look heavier and uglier on camera Very Happy  I'm using Windows Live Movie Maker to edit vids.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Mo wrote:Thanks guys. I'm turning into a regular Steven Spileberg. Did you know that you look heavier and uglier on camera Very Happy  I'm using Windows Live Movie Maker to edit vids.

Some of us are too pretty to be influenced by a camera....unfortunately, I am not one of them.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down