Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

grout haze!!!

5 posters

Go down

grout haze!!! Empty grout haze!!!

Post by OneBlueSummer Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:28 pm

I Have not used a water based sealer and had it not haze (especially on dark grout.)
Ive tried applying it with a pump up, a grout stick, and paint brush etc, from just letting it dry, to post wiping on my hands and knees with a towel (what a joke .) grout haze!!! Tumblr_muvns06aZT1qzzn7yo1_250]

Is the true only way to get residue free is to run the spinner after appying/dwell?

Seems to me it would be a whole lot easier than getting on my hands and knees.
And Yes I have also tried a post mop via stick and via 175 and I found it makes it worse because u just end up spreading the sealer all over the tile faces.

Are you truly residue free with solvent based sealers? scratch  if so im giving up on being a green tile cleaner! wink

OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

grout haze!!! Empty Re: grout haze!!!

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Sorry but, Something or some-things is/are wrong!  laughing 

I had used both solvent and water based sealers on grout before and never had either "haze".

I only use high quality ($75-100 gal.) water based sealers now, unless sealing Granite. And with proper training and knowledge I've never had a prob with hazing...........no one should if done properly with quality sealer.  cheers 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:39 pm

Awesome Post! Thanks!

So what exact water based sealer do you use, as there are lots of expensive ones..? Ive used water based Stone Pro and Sealers Choice to name a few. Was trained in Phoenix. They told me I would regret dealing with the water based sealers, and laughed like most at me when I mentioned trying to be a "green" cleaner.

What is your next step after you apply the sealer? Do you wipe it with a towel, floor machine? Just let it dry?

The reason I made this post is so I could get some help from someone with "proper training and Knowledge."
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:25 am

OneBlueSummer wrote:Awesome Post! Thanks!

laughing That's the same thing I was saying when I read your first post!
It is what is is, sorry.  laughing 

So what exact water based sealer do you use, as there are lots of expensive ones..? Ive used water based Stone Pro and Sealers Choice to name a few. Was trained in Phoenix. They told me I would regret dealing with the water based sealers, and laughed like most at me when I mentioned trying to be a "green" cleaner.

But I'm sure they also stressed the importance in completely removing/drying off excess sealer, right?? If they didn't, I say it was a waste of time.  Crying or Very sad ........Doesn't really matter what sealer it is, they all have to be dried.  wink 

Laughed at you?..... then move on! To a respectful teacher, Dan from Pro's Choice is great.  wink 

What is your next step after you apply the sealer? Do you wipe it with a towel, floor machine? Just let it dry?

NO, you don't just let it dry, YOU GET IT DRY, DRY, DRY.........don't stop until it's dry, regardless if you have to get on your hands and knees or not, or until you figure out an easier way. If it's not DRY, That Is the cause of your prob.
It's the reason I charge what I do to seal, it's not quick or easy if done right (if not done right you alreaedy know Wink ), nor is it cheap when using a good quality sealer.

The reason I made this post is so I could get some help from someone with "proper training and Knowledge."

I'd say take another class then, because something didn't go right in the last one. SmileSmile
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:37 am

OneBlueSummer wrote:

Is the true only way to get residue free is to run the spinner after appying/dwell?

BTW If you're going to do that, you may as well not even be applying the sealer. Because hitting it with water within 48 hrs of application is just rinsing it away...........never mind HP water like that.

Also, just to give you an Idea, I don't even head to a job where I'm going to do grout sealing with any less than 60 clean white cotton towels (the 14x17" ones")!  wink 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:40 am

Just noticed thread title "Grout Haze", and I've been replying to 'sealer haze' thinking that's what were were talking about?!?  laughing 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:49 am

Davey Cracker wrote:
OneBlueSummer wrote:Awesome Post! Thanks!

laughing That's the same thing I was saying when I read your first post!
It is what is is, sorry. And You're welcome!  laughing 

But I'm sure they also stressed the importance in completely removing/drying off excess sealer, right?? If they didn't, I say it was a waste of time.  Crying or Very sad ........Doesn't really matter what sealer it is, they all have to be dried.  wink 

Laughed at you?..... then move on! To a respectful teacher, Dan from Pro's Choice is great.  wink 

NO, you don't just let it dry, YOU GET IT DRY, DRY, DRY.........don't stop until it's dry, regardless if you have to get on your hands and knees or not, or until you figure out an easier way. If it's not DRY, That Is the cause of your prob.
It's the reason I charge what I do to seal, it's not quick or easy if done right (if not done right you alreaedy know Wink ), nor is it cheap when using a good quality sealer.

I'd say take another class then, because something didn't go right in the last one. SmileSmile
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:41 am

I'm surprised there weren't more jumping in to help with this one?

Are you applying the sealer to a wet grout or dry? I don't seal the same day as cleaning and always come back the next day to seal grout. I think water-based sealers absorb better into bone dry grout.

I've used Stone Pro and even the sealers from the home improvement stores (5.11) and don't recall any problem with hazing.

milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:47 am

I don't clean and seal tile much but I would share what I know even though it's limited.
with high quality sealer like 3M, I also get the haze as well as milky layers, even though I don't put too much, I found the home depot brand which I can't remember what it is now is the best one to avoid the haze, now before ANYONE bash me about using the home depot stuff, the one I purchased was not cheap, it was $ 30 for a small bottle ( covers about 500 - 700 sq ft I think ) and with that I can also seal the tiles as long as it's porous tiles, and the reviews on that product is excellent and it was right because the towel I use to spread the sealer over the tiles were completely dry for a few days even though I got water on it every day.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:24 am

Yep, that is the one that I mentioned Dp...I get it at Lowe's. I was actually told to use it by a local tile installer who swore it was the best bang for the buck.

http://store.miraclesealants.com/product_p/511%20h20%20plus.htm
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Yup, that's the same manufacturer but I think it was a different product, mine was a little cheaper than the one in Rob's link, or may be home depot sells it cheaper Razz or may be they raised the price, lol, it was around $ 36 I think for a quart, the only downside of that product is the strong smell, you have to open the windows up for a couple of hours and that's not an easy thing for those of you in the freezing temperatures states if you have to do them in the winter.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:28 pm

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Sealants-32-oz-Impregnator-Penetrating-Sealer-511-QT-H/100076375

that's the one I use, and although Rob's link is the water based one, I just compared it and it was a lot cheaper in home depot than in lowe's.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:29 pm

I may have linked the wrong product...it is the right brand, I just didn't look to verify it was the right one when I copied the link. I didn't think the smell was all that bad, so maybe we are using a different product in that line.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Thanks Dudes!
I think the drying of the grout and the drying of sealer was my problem. I guess I was looking for a better alternative to getting on my hands and knees. Maybe gonna pick up some of there sealer from HD and give it a whirl. Gotta go start up the snowblower first  alien 
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:03 pm

OneBlueSummer wrote:Thanks Dudes!
I think the drying of the grout and the drying of sealer was my problem.

Yes, I think so also. I don't believe you will find any searer that's made to 'dry' on the floor or grout.

You can keep trying different sealers, but I think you'll keep running into the same milky/hazing prob if you're not completely drying/removing the excess sealer........I've actually never heard of or read the 'instructions' on a sealer the didn't say to completely remove and dry excess sealer after the 5-15 min period of penetration.

And sometimes there's just no way around it, but to get on your hands and knees with a lot of clean dry towels to get the job done properly...........that's why I charge $.65 cents to a $1.25 per s.f for it, it takes work, and isn't cheap to do when using a good quality sealer..  Smile 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:17 pm

Welp the game has changed! Hopefully saving the rest of you time and money if you wish to proceed!
I found a gallon of Cobbs I forgot I had and tried it side by side and the results blew my mind! And its the least expensive sealer Ive ever bought.
0 residue
amazing beading effect, at least double any other I have ever tried. check it out! For the test I just wiped two different T's with water and a paper towel. Let it dry. Then puddled one sealer on the left T and one on the right T. This is huge news! affraid 
grout haze!!! 20140302_210039 grout haze!!! 20140302_215159 Shocked 
PS this stuff is 35$/Gallon  grout haze!!! 80555-jack-nicholson-laughing-gif-DuRf
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:13 pm

No need to get on your hands and knees with that one right just mop the grout no worries about getting it on the tile just buff when dry, does it still hava a strong odor
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 pm

U would have to get on your hands and knees with any other sealer I've ever used.
A straight wiff from the bottle smells just like a alcohol.  Didn't smell it while applying.
Also no need for buffing just micro neutral mop.
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:02 pm

Cobbs sealer ? Never heard of it, where do you buy them Charlie ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:40 pm

It's dynachem impregnator sealer it's 35$ a gallon.
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down