Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Bad start to the day

+5
Seaswril
ACpower1
milspec6
Joe Bristor
Ryan S
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bad start to the day - Page 2 Empty Re: Bad start to the day

Post by Pete@TCC Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Pretty freaky feeling seeing your LG on fire. When I first got mine I vented it out the sidedoor with no cap on it. High wind sent the flames back out the bottom of the heater. Completely melted all plastic of the controller, burnt an encap machine out, a vac hose, a sprayer. Halve the van was burnt out so lost that too.

Wish Little Giant gave warnings about correct venting techniques. I still use the heater without worries, I do soap spray all gas connections each job. Only takes 10 seconds.

Pete@TCC

http://www.thecarpetchemist.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Bad start to the day - Page 2 Empty Re: Bad start to the day

Post by milspec6 Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Ryan S wrote:I cleaned the bunker ring about three weeks ago. I did tighten the union pretty good. Guess not enough to losses from vibration. Lesson learned.  

An old mechanic trick on this one. If you lightly score the threads (use a file or even hack saw blade) about half the length of the fitting and then assemble, it will not vibrate loose. That little bit of scoring creates a small burr on the threads that will act as a locking mechanism to discourage vibrating loose.

I watched my father do that for years on Porsche and Audi back in the mid-70's before products like loc-tite became common. Have to admit, that simple trick always seemed to be effective.

While I am on the topic, I will give you another neat tip when tightening bolts without a torque wrench. The tip is to count your fingers. If you tighten a fastener using just your finger strength (don't pull with your arm or curl you hand) you will find that each finger starting with the index finger is about 10 lbs.

So, if you pull the wrench using the first 2 fingers, it would be about 20 lbs of torque. The German mechanics taught us that one when we worked on the VW Scirocco slalom racing cars. I'm sure it isn't an exact science, but I tried it when torquing down a carburetor and it was about 1.5 lbs. off for me, so not a bad trick if in a pinch.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2