Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

What's in your water?

+2
Davey Cracker
milspec6
6 posters

Go down

What's in your water? Empty What's in your water?

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Now that I may be getting back to using ozone water again and hearing the countless ads by Z-rez about their special magic pixie dust water, I thought it was time to look at your cleaning water again.

Today, I needed to go out and re-charge my on-board softener, so it seemed like a great time to run some tests. If you think good old tap water rinsing is fine, consider the facts and test your water. I just use the "5-in-1" test strips that you can buy at a pool store or aquarium shop...they seem to be accurate enough for our usage and provides immediate results.

These are the results for my area before running it through the softener:

Ph was at 8.5 (Not too bad, but a little high)
Alkalinity at 200 ppm (Also a little high)
Hardness at over 1,000 ppm! (We have gravel for water in this area)

We are consumed over our pre-sprays and their ph / alkalinity numbers, but if I was cleaning with straight tap water, that prespray would be affected. Not to mention the machine with water that hard.

These are the numbers taken after the softener:

Ph was now at 8.0 (Acceptable level)
Alkalinity reduced to 185 ppm (Close to ideal)
Hardness was now at 75 ppm (Soft)

In my area, most cleaners are running right off the customer's spigot and consider an on-board softener as a waste of valuable space on their vans. If the customer is like me and doesn't have the house softener tied into the spigot, they are using a super hard water with a high alkaline and ph profile. The results are well known, crusty carpets and tougher to clean.

Which reminds me, I need to install a second spigot for soft water access outside the house. Oh, and replace my manual re-charge softener with an automatic unit....kind of a pita around here when you need to re-charge 2-3 times per month.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

What's in your water? Empty Re: What's in your water?

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Great info!
I'll have to get some of those test strips and compare the tap water here to my water run threw my in van water softener.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:54 pm

I use these strips

http://www.microbeliftstore.com/home/ml1/page_140_55/5_in_1_test_strips.html

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:56 pm

It really helps you out as you can calculate when you need to re-charge. In my case, it is every 547 gallons of water usage....about a week.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:57 pm

Thank you!...........I was just searching to see where I could get them. wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:11 pm

I actually find them at the best price in the tractor supply places...don't ask me why? I bought 2 jars last month for less than 10 bucks.

Funny thing is we used that same brand for drug tests at the State Prison on urine samples, but we paid A LOT MORE!
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred H Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:54 pm

I rent a resin tank from a water softener company for 20 bucks a month. it lasts 2 or 3 months before I have to change it out. I just let them know I am coming and they have one ready for me to swap out. it connects quickly with garden hose fittings, takes up a small area in my van and I dont have to bother recharging it they do it for me.
Fred H
Fred H

http://www.fredscarpetcavalry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Fred H wrote:I rent a resin tank from a water softener company for 20 bucks a month. it lasts 2 or 3 months before I have to change it out. I just let them know I am coming and they have one ready for me to swap out. it connects quickly with garden hose fittings, takes up a small area in my van and I dont have to bother recharging it they do it for me.

I wish I had that option...heck, I wish the water wasn't so hard that I could hold out for 2-3 months. Just one of negatives about cleaning in this area.

Oh, instead of garden hoses...consider the 3/8 air hose or even the SS Washing machine lines. They last longer and look sharp in the truck.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:45 pm

I guilty of using tap and water and the water is hard in AZ. I can barely fit another wand in van. How much space does the softer tank set up take up in a van. Mostly the cylinder?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Mine hardy takes up any space, about 6" in diam. and less then 3' tall. I have it mounted in front of my machine behind and between my van seats so it's not taking up any precious space.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:34 pm

They come in all sizes, just depends on how hard the water is (how much media you need in grains per gallon) and how often do you want to re-charge.

I had a clone made of the Prochem softener with 42,000 grains instead of the 32,000, but it still only takes up 12 inches at the base and 32 inches tall. Most places can build anything that you want as far as dimensions.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by REALCLEAN Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:54 am

milspec6 wrote:Now that I may be getting back to using ozone water again and hearing the countless ads by Z-rez about their special magic pixie dust water, I thought it was time to look at your cleaning water again.

Today, I needed to go out and re-charge my on-board softener, so it seemed like a great time to run some tests.  If you think good old tap water rinsing is fine, consider the facts and test your water.  I just use the "5-in-1" test strips that you can buy at a pool store or aquarium shop...they seem to be accurate enough for our usage and provides immediate results.

These are the results for my area before running it through the softener:

Ph was at 8.5  (Not too bad, but a little high)
Alkalinity at 200 ppm  (Also a little high)
Hardness at over 1,000 ppm!  (We have gravel for water in this area)

We are consumed over our pre-sprays and their ph / alkalinity numbers, but if I was cleaning with straight tap water, that prespray would be affected.  Not to mention the machine with water that hard.

These are the numbers taken after the softener:

Ph was now at 8.0 (Acceptable level)
Alkalinity reduced to 185 ppm (Close to ideal)
Hardness was now at 75 ppm (Soft)

In my area, most cleaners are running right off the customer's spigot and consider an on-board softener as a waste of valuable space on their vans.  If the customer is like me and doesn't have the house softener tied into the spigot, they are using a super hard water with a high alkaline and ph profile.  The results are well known, crusty carpets and tougher to clean.

Which reminds me, I need to install a second spigot for soft water access outside the house.  Oh, and replace my manual re-charge softener with an automatic unit....kind of a pita around here when you need to re-charge 2-3 times per month.

Hardness at 1000 ppm?!?!?! Wow! I thought we were bad here in East Tennessee. We're around 750 ppm on tap water.

I'm interested in the ozone water as well. I've been using distilled water when I padcap, but it's a hassle if I have a really big job. I usually compromise and go 50/50 distilled to tap.

I do notice remarkable differences in cleaning power though.
REALCLEAN
REALCLEAN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:58 am

I missed the meeting with the ozone guys last week (he had an emergency dental issue), but we will be trying again over the next 2 days.

For those that followed it before, the conclusion was that it worked well on hard surfaces, but didn't have a high enough concentration for badly soiled carpets in the size of machine that I had.

The new plan is to build a device with much higher concentrations to have the impact on carpet that I was looking for the first time. Of course it would be a larger device as well, but there is room in the box truck for it.

I will keep you posted.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:12 pm

I tested my tap water today, and got a reading of 150 for hardness.......seems like what I would expect from well softened water? I can't hardly believe that's correct, maybe it's the inaccuracy of the test strips I got from Lowe's?............I always thought the water was pretty hard here, but it dose greatly very from city to city around here.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:38 pm

150 is borderline "hard", but not too bad.

You might not notice a lot of cleaning improvement since you are borderline, but you will definitely notice less scale.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks.

I'll have to test my softened water once I recharge softener. And also the surrounding city's tap water to see how it compares.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:08 pm

That is a very good idea Davey...when I clean at the Zoo, I will often go through about 200 gallons of water, so I made a point to test it to see if I needed to use my softener. What I found was that it was about 75 ppm over the normal levels for that part of the city. Filling my fresh tank via the softener made a difference on that account.

Same goes for rural cleanings which all use well water. A sample only takes a few seconds with a test strip and a dixie cup, but that information can make a big difference.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ( miller ) gerry Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:27 am

Try dionized water. Takes up no space on truck/van. I have three tanks delivered to shop about every 6 weeks from Culligan. Tanks are good for 2000 - 2500 gallons. Costs me $160 ea time. I put this in fresh water tank whenever needed. Then also no descaling needed.

( miller ) gerry
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.gemscarpetcleaningplus.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:49 am

( miller ) gerry wrote:Try dionized water. Takes up no space on truck/van. I have three tanks delivered to shop about every 6 weeks from Culligan. Tanks are good for 2000 - 2500 gallons.  Costs me $160 ea time.  I put this in fresh water tank whenever needed.  Then also no descaling needed.

Sounds like a great option except I worry about dionized water's effects on some metals. Some of those minerals actually protect some metals from corrosion. Then again, you said that it wasn't being used full time, so you probably avoid that issue.

For me, softened water is probably necessary in 90% of my jobs, I don't know how well my pump and blower would survive if it was always dionized. Then again, I haven't tested it first hand either....might be interesting to soak different metals in a bucket of dionized water to see what happens (brass, copper, aluminum, stainless). The reports I read about 10 years ago showed lots of surface corrosion in a short period of time.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:44 pm

milspec6 wrote:I use these strips

http://www.microbeliftstore.com/home/ml1/page_140_55/5_in_1_test_strips.html

I just ordered some of these from Amazon for less than $14.

http://www.amazon.com/Ecological-Labs-TEST5-Test-Strip/dp/B000P6B3F0/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down