Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Security Measures

3 posters

Go down

Security Measures Empty Security Measures

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:34 am

With all the violence and thefts increasing (at least it appears to be), I was wondering what measures are cleaners taking to protect themselves and their livelihood?

Do you have masterlocks on your van doors?
Do you have an auto alarm?
Do you carry concealed...or open for that matter?
Do you always make a point to peak out the customer's windows often to check on the van?
Do you engrave your tools and have photos of all the equipment with serial numbers?
Do you store your valuables inside the waste tank? (many store it in their toilet tanks).
Do you keep a dog tied to the van when you are working?
Do you just ignore it and let the insurance agent worry about replacement?
Do you cage all the windows and maybe even limo tint them?

Lots of measures out there and I am curious not just what you do, but have you elevated your posture?

For me, I tend to operate my butler with the doors closed and locked, have a strong box between the seats for my vauables, and have photos of every piece of equipment in the van. I also engrave everything with the company name in at least 3 places (one of them hidden).

I never used to engrave and photograph things, but after my tile spinner was stolen, I started the next day. The insurance would pay for replacement (heck, I'm actually insured for acts of terrorism), but I would really like to see a thief busted and the engraving is the only proof I would have that the tool was mine.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Security Measures Empty Re: Security Measures

Post by brianbenaiah Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Great thread, I'm ready to engrave and keep better inventory etc. It seems like without marking items people are stealing stuff and placing it on CL or selling it on the streets because there are some nice items for ridiculous prices. My wife says I have more tools then I know what to do with, she gets upset when I buy more because its needed for a certain job. I would sure hate to see them disappear because someone is to lazy to work. I've never had to see about insurance but since things are getting worse maybe its time before its to late.
brianbenaiah
brianbenaiah
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:02 pm

brianbenaiah wrote:Great thread, I'm ready to engrave and keep better inventory etc.  It seems like without marking items people are stealing stuff and placing it on CL or selling it on the streets because there are some nice items for ridiculous prices.  My wife says I have more tools then I know what to do with, she gets upset when I buy more because its needed for a certain job.  I would sure hate to see them disappear because someone is to lazy to work. I've never had to see about insurance but since things are getting worse maybe its time before its to late.  

The trick is to engrave one spot that is obvious to the thief and then in a second spot that is hidden...often behind a cover or something.

They are going to steal it instead of getting a J-O-B, so they will be just as lazy at trying to hide the markings when they slap it on the auction sites or pawn shops. If you suspect it is yours, you can play that Ace when called upon.

Boy do I understand your situation with all those tools, I still have a garage and basement full of equipment from the Meth lab cleaning and Bio-Haz days. I really need to sell this stuff
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:17 pm

The last few years we always have 2 guys for each van, that seems to help deter theft away since one of us always go in and out of the house and to the van whether to grab spotter, invoice, stair tool, etc, and our areas seems to be fairly safe, however I have alarm system on all the vans and limo tinted the back windows ( illegal to tint the driver and passenger's window in California, which sucks ).
The engraving is a great idea, how do you do it and where do you get the tool to do it ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:34 pm

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-120-Volt-Corded-Electric-Engraver-Tool-290-01/100394725

Simpe to use, just like writing your name and is deep enought that grinding it off would be obvious.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down