Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

I'm actually jonesing to got to work, but can't

5 posters

Go down

I'm actually jonesing to got to work, but can't Empty I'm actually jonesing to got to work, but can't

Post by Cjcann Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:21 pm

FRIGID weather is killing me. I actually have people that want work done. A full schedule that I can't satisfy. This morning wind chill was like -10 to -20. Actual temps were -3. Just not worth it. I will be twice as busy this spring and I am going to just add 10% to everything I do. I have found that every year I am raising my prices. I won't just tack on 10%, I will look at every estimate and make sure it's 10% more than I would have charged last year.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.njserviceone.com

Back to top Go down

I'm actually jonesing to got to work, but can't Empty Re: I'm actually jonesing to got to work, but can't

Post by milspec6 Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:22 pm

You are wise in shutting down on days like that, not worth risking yourself and equipment in temps like those.

When that front moved through this area, it froze my supply line from me fresh tank to the tm despite winterizing the tm and having two heaters on-board going full blast. I just discovered it a few days ago when it ruptured.

I'm good with the 10% and look on the bright side, many of the bottom-feeders in your area just went out of business. Start shopping for some used equipment at a steal of a price.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

I'm actually jonesing to got to work, but can't Empty Re: I'm actually jonesing to got to work, but can't

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:39 pm

The 10% raise per year works great, and for me it was 15-20% sometimes. It's how I went from .20 or so, to .40 sf (or more sometimes), is just a few years........just kept raising in small increments year after year.

If you do it that way, it's not so noticeable you're charging them double what they paid a couple years ago.

You may loose a couple cheap customers charging high end prices, but the loss of them is more than made up for with the higher price the rest are willing to pay.......so you do less jobs and make more money.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:20 am

In this business you soon realize that you are really never charging enough. When a snowplower charges your neighbor $125.00 for 10 minutes work and he never even gets out of the truck you start calculating in your mind. A plumber fixes something and he charges you $180 for 1/2 an hour on and on and on. I am my own worst enemy, but every year I wise up a little more. THANK GOD! I estimate that only 10-20% of cleaners are charging what hey should.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.njserviceone.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:01 pm

My brother always scolds me on this one. He will send me a referral and then when he finds out what the bill was he just rolls his eyes and says that I should have charged a lot more.

I suppose someday I will. I think what happens is that we tend to project our own values rather than considering the customer's view on value.

Many years ago, I was engaged to a jeweler. She once told me that everything in their store was a 400% mark-up. As a result, she would never pay what they charged for those items herself, but that didn't mean the customers wouldn't be willing to pay that.

That was the key, they charged according to what the market would pay for jewelry and not what they felt it was worth personally.

So, if your market will support the higher prices, then that is what you should be charging....the trick is finding where that breaking point is between getting jobs and being priced out of the market.

By the way, never get engaged to a jeweler. They expect jewelry and they expect only the best...they know the difference.

Basically, she priced herself out of my market. Cool
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:46 pm

milspec6 wrote:............So, if your market will support the higher prices, then that is what you should be charging....the trick is finding where that breaking point is between getting jobs and being priced out of the market......................

That's very true, it's up to you to find that amount..

There's an easy way to find out what your customers are willing to pay (keep slowly raising your prices, like we've talked about here) until you notice some start dropping out, or balking at the price.

I think most guys would be surprised what your market will bare, if only they were willing to ask for more money to really find out.

But so many guys would rather make a joke out of it (actually the jokes on them lol), and make fun of those who talk about charging more and disbelieve it as truth rather than do it themselves..........I guess it's easier to think you have to be competitive with all the cut throat cleaners than believe they're worth more than the guy who will drive himself out of biz charging too little?  Hey, everyone can do and think what they like, but in this case they're just screwing themselves.

Why a guy would leave his customers wondering why he charges so little time after time is beyond me.  laughing
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:46 pm

milspec6 wrote:By the way, never get engaged to a jeweler.  They expect jewelry and they expect only the best...they know the difference.

Basically, she priced herself out of my market. Cool

Well the good thing is you have access to cheap diamonds right ? Very Happy
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Diamonds always come with a price and that price lasts a lifetime.....unless you have a good divorce attorney.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 pm

laughing
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:42 pm

eldiabloz wrote:FRIGID weather is killing me. I actually have people that want work done. A full schedule that I can't satisfy. This morning wind chill was like -10 to -20. Actual temps were -3. Just not worth it. I will be twice as busy this spring and I am going to just add 10% to everything I do. I have found that every year I am raising my prices. I won't just tack on 10%, I will look at every estimate  and make sure it's 10% more than I would have charged last year.

Sounds like a good move Diablo cuz you know there is going to be a lot of pent up demand for cleaning come spring.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Mo wrote:
eldiabloz wrote:FRIGID weather is killing me. I actually have people that want work done. A full schedule that I can't satisfy. This morning wind chill was like -10 to -20. Actual temps were -3. Just not worth it. I will be twice as busy this spring and I am going to just add 10% to everything I do. I have found that every year I am raising my prices. I won't just tack on 10%, I will look at every estimate  and make sure it's 10% more than I would have charged last year.

Sounds like a good move Diablo cuz you know there is going to be a lot of pent up demand for cleaning come spring.

Finally I can read and understand what he's saying cause in the original thread his big head avatar covered about 20 % of what he typed scratch
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Was it that bad? Sorry about that Very Happy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down