Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

What water softener system do you guys use?

5 posters

Go down

What water softener system do you guys use? Empty What water softener system do you guys use?

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Im looking at one from the company im buying my equipment from but in the past Ive just hooked up a culligan system.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

What water softener system do you guys use? Empty Re: What water softener system do you guys use?

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:17 pm

I bought a long time ago, just the type you recharge by adding salt....and it's worked well I think. I'm really not sure what it's called or the type, but it's a yellowish colored fiberglass tank about 30" tall and I'd guess 8-10" in Dia.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

What water softener system do you guys use? Empty Re: What water softener system do you guys use?

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Yep...thats what Im getting.... does it hellp keep your system pretty clean?
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Yes, it's much better with than without. And it helps keep carpet from being "crunchy" once it's dried after cleaning. Which as we know, is a fairly common customer complaint they have about the "last cleaner" they used.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:39 pm

That was my next question....could you tell it helped with the cleaning? I know where we live the water is extremely hard and I have a system in every home I ever lived in....as a mater a fact im buying a new one now....also getting the charcol system for better filtered water.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:45 pm

We have gravel for water in this town, so a softener is a must and you can tell the difference....by miles! The carpet is softer and rinses out so much better.

I have a manual tank in the van (built a clone to the Prochem tank with a higher grain rating). Works out pretty well, re-charge it weekly with salt, but again the water is off the chart hard in this area.

And yes, your machine and tools will be much happier. You can buy the tank and heads from a lot of places and just assemble your own for around $125.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks milspec....im going to research this more.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:04 pm

How hard is the water in your area? You should be able to obtain the water report on-line. From there, you really need to evaluate how many grains you will need to soften your water.

Most companies sell a 35,000 grains model, but that didn't cut it in this area so I had a 45,000 grains model built for me from a guy in Phoenix. I think it was $140 shipped to my door.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:13 pm

I think I read somewhere where here it was 20 grains per ??? I dont know...need to read up on it.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:18 pm

You can go to a pet store or pool supply store and buy a bottle of test strips which test ph, alkalinity, pesticides, hardness, etc. It will not give you the exact number, but will give you a ball-park.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:19 pm

20 grains per gallon?
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:24 pm

20 grains isn't too bad, you should be able get several weeks out of a tank before recharge. Mine was off the chart somewhere over 42.

The best part is that my competition comes mostly from Omaha where the water is pretty soft so they don't carry softeners. I hear the complaints all the time about how crusty the carpet are when they are done.

That tank makes me a lot of money every year.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:25 pm

I feel a little better now...thanks!
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:51 pm

The guy I have worked with is ABC water llc on ebay. He can supply you with any custom set up that you need...did it pretty cheap too in the past.

At 20 grains, it is considered pretty hard, but that really isn't a level that would cause rapid pitting of copper or heavy scale build-up in my experience. Still, I prefer cleaning with softened water for its benefits.

Also, don't be fooled, you need an ion exchange to soften water...that means sodium. I have never seen a good salt-free softener when you compare the outputs.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:09 pm

milspec6 wrote:We have gravel for water in this town, so a softener is a must and you can tell the difference....by miles!  The carpet is softer and rinses out so much better.

I have a manual tank in the van (built a clone to the Prochem tank with a higher grain rating).  Works out pretty well, re-charge it weekly with salt, but again the water is off the chart hard in this area.

And yes, your machine and tools will be much happier.  You can buy the tank and heads from a lot of places and just assemble your own for around $125.

Only 125 I have to check it out. My local Habitat for Humanity thrift store always have thise water softeners for sale
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:35 pm

Mo wrote:My local Habitat for Humanity thrift store always have thise water softeners for sale

Huh? What is that?
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:34 am

Forgot to answer this one Dave. It's Thrift store were builders. contractors donate building supplies usually old stuff from rehabs, windows ,cabinets, appliances lot of different stuff
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:12 pm

seattle has soft water

7.4pH usually and about 50ppm, how low does ppm get after your softner systems?

just wondering if you guys have tried testing it
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:31 pm

I haven't tested it in awhile after the softener. I have a device that tests for softness and it gives you a yes / no response. I use that most of the time in the field, which is calibrated to water standards.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:44 pm

any hanna meter should work well, but dont use hanna meters for pH testing... their probes suck

Milwaulkee makes the best water meters and will send you out a probe no questions asked, hanna's probes cost as much as the unit to replace.

ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:07 pm

I liked the Extech pen testers, but they can dry up pretty quick on you.

Never tried the Milwaukee...something to shop for this week.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down