Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Wonderful!!...another blown LG Coil!!.....

+2
Mo
Davey Cracker
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wonderful!!...another blown LG Coil!!..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Wonderful!!...another blown LG Coil!!.....

Post by Mo Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Hopefully it will hold till you get a new one. Maybe you can lower the temps and bypass for tile jobs for now
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Wonderful!!...another blown LG Coil!!..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Wonderful!!...another blown LG Coil!!.....

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:18 pm

45% sounds like good stuff, did you use a matching flux?
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:49 pm

I used flux, but "matching"?...ummm no, I just used the flux I had from HD/Lowes kinda stuff.

OK Now I have double fingers crossed, I really just need to buy some time until I can get a new one. Very Happy
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:17 pm

I guess here's a good example of why you shouldn't buy a used LG heater.
The guy I bought it from when I asked if the coil had ever been repaired, said "No, it's never been repaired".

So, it turns out it's had a little repair LOL, like half way around the top coil where it exits on the "Out" end and about 3-4" long is all, it looks like someone just laid one bead along another.
The pinhole leak I'm now dealing with is on the seam of the patched area on the bottom of the left side, right on the bead farthest bottom left.

I'm now sure the reason the first LG heater I had, that was new when I got it lasted so long was because it was new when I got it and wasn't abused, and hacked like this.......

Wonderful!!...another blown LG Coil!!..... - Page 2 Img_6610

Wonderful!!...another blown LG Coil!!..... - Page 2 Img_6611

Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri May 01, 2015 7:37 am

Same location were mine split. Its just a matter of time before it goes again mine split wide open
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri May 01, 2015 2:52 pm

Split open huh, did you run too high PSI thew it?

The only one I've had split wide open is the one I ran 1500 psi threw, it didn't pass the test. LOL

But it split on the inter coil, about 3 coils down from the top, not on top..........hole big enough to stick your thumb in! laughing
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri May 01, 2015 3:45 pm

It is always best to use a "matched" flux as they are designed to support the particular solder, but hopefully it will not matter.

Have to admit it, that former owner didn't mind wasting silver solder....the repair was not without effort.

This is an excellent thread for all LG users...keep us posted on the results.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri May 01, 2015 4:31 pm

Good news! coctail

I just pressure tested it @500 PSI and it didn't leak, so I'm happy!! Who knows how long it will hold, but hopefully this buys me some time until I can get the other leaking coil I have repaired, or buy a new one......at least at this point I have heat again. I have several area rugs to clean, so I'll do those this weekend and really really put the LG to the test.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri May 01, 2015 5:00 pm

And Just an FYI repair recap, for those in need that may run across this thread in the future.............

1)I just used a wire wheel on my small 90 deg. air grinder to clean up the leaking area real well, you want to get it down to clean metal/copper in that area.

2) applied soldering flux to clean the area.

3) Then heated the area really well using MAPP Gas, with a "Turbo Torch".....the TT makes for a hotter flame, over a regular screw on type torch............see here...........

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-TurboTorch-0386-0851-MAP-Pro-Lighting/dp/B00INRZJ7G

4) Then used 45% silver solder wire/rod. You must have material/coil hot enough that it melts the wire/rod when touched to the surface to create a strong weld......don't just use the flame from the torch to melt it, or it will be what they call a "cold solder joint".

I'm no pro, but have been able to fix a few of them, so I'm sure Rob may have some tips or advice I've forgotten or don't know about?

Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2