Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

How many hands are in your pockets?

5 posters

Go down

How many hands are in your pockets? Empty How many hands are in your pockets?

Post by milspec6 Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:42 am

After watching the disaster with FIFA, I started thinking about this industry and how much bribery / kick-backs exist in our world.

When I formed this small business, the BBB told me that I needed to pay them $1500 per year or else they would list me as a company to avoid hiring. If I paid it, they told me that I would get a very positive rating and that failing to do so would probably wipe me out before I even started.

Then there were the many PM's who wanted to hire me to just do a "cosmetic" mold remediation of their 42 rental properties following the huge flood a few years ago. They were willing to pay a very lucrative contract, but I wasn't willing to get slaughtered 5 years later when the lawsuits start to show up. Not to mention the real health risks to the people living there believing that it was cleaned up.

Then came the Real Estate Agents who would tell me what the Radon numbers needed to be on the houses that they were brokering and wanted me to only test during the most favorable conditions to obtain those numbers. Again, they offered a premium reimbursement if I could make it happen.

In the end, I never joined the BBB and I am still here 7 years later. I never worked for the PM's and they are currently in a huge lawsuit and I left the Radon business the very next week realizing that I didn't want to be lumped in with any companies operating like the agent wanted.

I am a tiny spec when it comes to size of a business, but I run into these vampires every month. You guys out there working large markets must run into this on a daily basis. How bad is it in your area and is it getting worse?
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

How many hands are in your pockets? Empty Re: How many hands are in your pockets?

Post by SCCC Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:08 am

Milspec,
I feel you here, I stopped doing any water damage work for PM companies...I never did big work to begin with, but now I don't do any. I got tired of being asked to just do what you need to get by, it is BS because "most" of these are for apartment type settings and the tenants are the kind always looking for a way to sue.
To cut corners is just asking for trouble so I just stopped doing them.
In the end the only one it will come down on is "US" the PM will throw us under the bus no matter how long you have worked for them.
I haven't missed it at all, in fact I sleep much better not having to worry about it.
SCCC
SCCC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

How many hands are in your pockets? Empty Re: How many hands are in your pockets?

Post by milspec6 Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:16 am

Boy is that the truth Tom, that is why most PM's don't hire large franchise companies....they wouldn't set themselves up for lawsuits like the little guy who gets blinded by the cash.

It only takes one lawsuit that goes bad to put you on the street these days.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:52 am

ya thats the only "water damage" jobs I get.. some PM asking for a "cleaning"

then you get there and its squishy wet carpet because a pipe bursted, they think theyll just pay cleaning rates and get it done for cheap

I usually tell them ill extract the water but then they need to call insurance asap
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:19 pm

ACpower1 wrote:
I usually tell them ill extract the water but then they need to call insurance asap

Careful doing that, because I think it could be easily assumed when you do the extraction, then the problem has been 'properly taken care of'. You know they're not going to call the ins. co..............I don't even do that with a signed waver, waay too much risk for little reward.

When I get someone that wants to set their own rules and price for dealing with a water loss, I just walk away.....I will only do the job if it's going to be done properly.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:08 pm

ya good point, I really try and stay away from those and I think ive done about 3 in the recent years
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:41 pm

As few as possible.
Only 1 adv source, landlord assoc. And I'm the only one in their monthly newsletter. Picked up a new LL today, 3 units.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down