Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning

+2
Devon07
milspec6
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning Empty Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning

Post by milspec6 Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:01 pm

I was stopped in traffic today by a guy in nice new Mercedes who read my van and wanted to know if I had time to clean some furniture that he had in storage. I asked what kind of fabric, he told me "The normal fabric" what-ever that meant to him.

I followed him to his house out in the hills along a secluded gravel road. Inside his garage was a love seat and 2 sitting room chairs. They got wet in storage and had some mildew damage. They were a very nice creme set made out of cotton / nylon with some silk in the piping.

The guy tells me that the tag said "dry cleaning only" which always makes me laugh. I didn't make any promises on the ink stains nor the mildew damage, but assured him that they would clean up just fine with wet cleaning.

I finished them by hand in 39 minutes. The ink tried to wick back up a little, but you had to know where to look to find it. The mildew left a bad ring on one cushion that could not be corrected, but the other side was brilliant. All-in-all, customer was happy and wife pleased.

End result for 39 minutes......$250. Dude paid in cash and took a business card.

I love furniture dancing
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning Empty Re: Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning

Post by Devon07 Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:19 pm

I love it too....back when I started doing this a 100 years ago we used to pic furniture up and bring it back to the plant....We had dry cleaning solvents and an air compressor for blowing out spots and special areas of problems....I love to do it now because we dont have to load and unload anymore...so its much easier. We really had a large following when we did it that way...we also brought oriental rugs back and cleaned them in the giant wringer and they were hung in a drying room.....I did binding and surging along with fringe repair. I have a lot of knowledge in doing this but dont bring it up. I was really good in repairs too.....did some dyes and color fixes here and there too. this was long ago.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning Empty Re: Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning

Post by milspec6 Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:02 pm

You are one skilled dude Devon.

I used to do high end furniture, but rarely see anything other the microfiber stuff these days. No challenge and no money in most of them.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 pm

We did high end stuff too...we were known for it in Beverly Hills, Pasadena, Hollywood areas all the way back to Covina where our shop/plant was.....I went into homes of many famous people and could care less who they were, like I said before I dont get star struck and I look for the real people in life.....they are likely to be found in forums and on the streets usually working hard....a lot of the time homeless.....Im serious too.

I remember knocking at a door one time at a very exclusive home in Beverly Hills and when they opened the door they about had a heart attack that I was "help" and motioned in a serious panic for me to go to the service entry. Guess workers cant come through the front door....whats funny is thats where I cleaned and in spite opened it and left it open!

Rich people rarely tip...its the working class that tips! heck the rich wouldnt even offer water.lol My favorite one was a bigtime attorney for Disneyland....he had 11 kids and a nanny and a wife and me....lol he paid well because I made the wife happy (no comments) and with a happy wife with 11 kids was rare I suspect. He would tell me twice a year if it was cleanable clean it. I was thinking with 11 dirty kids I could bank.

They had several very old Grecian flokati rugs and silk rugs all over this place....I think the house was well over 10k sf. Ive been invited to some really amazing parties back then...I learned I dont party with the rich
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 pm

35 minutes affraid  That probably would have takes me about an hour.

So you sprayed it down, hand agitated and then hand dried and groomed?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Mo wrote:35 minutes affraid  That probably would have takes me about an hour.

Are you kidding me Mo ??? He's not going to have time to do all of those in 35 minutes, he sprays them heavy and extract, that's all you need to do if you want to make $ 400 / hour, why make it complicated ? Lol.
On a serious note, that is an amazing completion time, unless if the sofa and chairs are all squared, I wouldn't have been able to clean them in 35 minutes. My target is $ 200 / hour, so as long as I can finish them in an hour and 15 minutes, I'm happy. Great job Rob.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm not sure I can say "I love furn cleaning", but I don't hate doing it anymore, like I did before the constant flow sheering type tools came to be. Cleaning with those SS trigger type uphol tool made me really dislike furn cleaning.

It's so much easier and faster now, being able to one pass clean and extract with the new generation sheering tools.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:33 pm

Bucket solution...applied foam with soft brush....treated spots....saphire tool....groomed and stacked by airpath fan.

I was motivated and moving fast. For me the key is to have a folding table so that you can clean the cushions without bending over. That saves a ton of time.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:40 am

Good idea on the Table Rob....

I use two buckets...I sit on one and can easily get up or drop down to knees if needed....the other holds the cushion as a make shift table and is easy to spin, flip, twist whatever. I currently use two Home Depot buckets but had a nice set up in the past with fishing buckets type of a thing that had cushions....I had two and they twist like a lazy Suzan .....My knees are bad and your table sounds good....I may try it and see if its any better. Either way it beats doing it any other way.

Now...where is my wifes table?
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:23 am

I like that fishing bucket idea...will have to try that.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:58 am

I wish I had the room to carry a table. The last time I used a bucket to work on the car it broke and I fell on my arse Very Happy

I may be be able to fit one of these in the van and put the cushions on the bucket
Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning Z

Pretty soon I'll have to put one of these in the van
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:46 am

Mo wrote:I wish I had the room to carry a table. The last time I used a bucket to work on the car it broke and I fell on my arse Very Happy

I may be be able to fit one of these in the van and put the cushions on the bucket

laughing
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:43 pm

Mo wrote:I wish I had the room to carry a table. The last time I used a bucket to work on the car it broke and I fell on my arse Very Happy

You need a 3/4 ton van AND a chair......perfect solution.

Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning Iron10
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:08 pm

With all that I can stay in until im 85. The fishing buckets do really good and stack. I just did a sectional and used my buckets today....works out perfect because the bucket you sit on keeps you off the ground and the other bucket lets you have two hands to do whatever until you need to grab the cushion....and not bend over for it. I got a tip too today....I used my phone credit card deal and when it asked if they wanted to leave a tim she just did it.....I did mention I was new with the reader and said she can just ignore the tip option....she said why?...and tipped. I actually forgot to take it off.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:58 pm

So, you did go with the tip option....will be interesting to see how that plays out over the next few months.

I once had a bucket from Nantucket, but it might have been a different style.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:55 pm

That's perfect Rob. Who said you can't clean into your 80s, probably get a lot of tips too
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:15 pm

Im going to start working on an invention that incorporates a walker and a zipper. Heck with that! Im putting a wand on a Segway! w/ glides.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:15 pm

I got dibs on AARP Carpet Cleaning!
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Devon07 wrote:I got dibs on AARP Carpet Cleaning!

"AARPCC"

Too many letters, maybe "Shades of Grey Cleaners" Razz
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:16 pm

lol
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:49 pm

milspec6 wrote:

Bucket solution...applied foam with soft brush....treated spots....saphire tool....groomed and stacked by airpath fan.

I was motivated and moving fast.  For me the key is to have a folding table so that you can clean the cushions without bending over.  That saves a ton of time.

I think Im going to start applying the cleaning solution by hand to. You applying and agitating at the same time and less over spray too.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:55 pm

ya I think I will go back to doing it that way too,     the multi sprayer is good for pre spraying uph but still tough to get good coverage and not over spray.  

also use the fold out table and that really takes the hard work out of it

cleaning in only one direction with the
"loose" cushions is also a good and faster way to go

have you guys tried the upholstery brush from american chems?      omg that thing is money just got 2 last week.       pet hair doesnt stand a chance...   works 100x better than vacuuming or horse hair brush,  or even using a tape roller

got one for each van,      actually it works so good I think I might start selling them to customers with hairy pets

Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning Imag0365-jpg
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:13 pm

Nice! They call it the Grim Reaper 10 bucks at Steambrite

Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning Grime-reaper-uphostry-brush_a_
Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning Grime-reaper-uphostry-brush_b_
Forgot how much I love upholstery cleaning American-Brush-Chem-Grime-Reaper-worlds-best-Upholstery-brushes-
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 pm

YEp, I posted about the reapers about a month ago, they're great.....small and big one.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:25 pm

I seen something like that at WalMart believe it or not.....I didnt buy it for the same reason I dont like to buy from Home Depot. I will get this! love the idea.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next