Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Winter Already?

5 posters

Go down

Winter Already? Empty Winter Already?

Post by milspec6 Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:15 pm

Tonight the forecast calls for mid-30's and a likely frost in my area.  The busted up van was moved into the repair shop to start its journey, but I am trying to decide if I should address my TNT and tools parked outside.

It shouldn't freeze and it will be in the mid-60's and 70's the next few days, so it will warm up quick enough, but I am still kind of irritated by it.  I really don't want to spend the next hour outside unloading the hoses, tools, and tossing in a heater.....I go back to work tomorrow at 5 am and probably should get to bed early.

Have I mentioned that I hate winter???
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Winter Already? Empty Re: Winter Already?

Post by dp1 Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:07 pm

I want to say you're lucky but not really, it's 74 now here and it's humid, which is unusual, I hope you get your van fixed and your truck ready to go by next week without the need for a heater Very Happy
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:26 pm

I chickened out and went out to check the box truck....it is already low 50's.  The tools and interior felt colder than it did outside!!!

I unloaded all the tools, took the psi lines off the reel, and set an oil-filled heater in the compartment next to the LG heater.  I think the rest will be okay unless it drops below freezing for very long.

It just reminds me that I need to find an answer before the temps stay below freezing without needing to winterize every night.

It's bad enough fighting competitors in this business, but having to fight deer and temperatures just seems unfair.  At least it is only for tonight at this point.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:27 am

Every situation you get in, I find difficult to address with you doing this as a side job. It seems to me one gets in the way of the other. I still think with your extended talent you should go all in (cleaning)....decisions would be much easier dealing with one....its like you have two wives! Don't let your equipment freeze! problems really get bad then! I would try and focus on having one dependable setup that's freeze proof....when you go all in (if ever) then rig up the second beast.

It does seem unfair with what you have been dealt but don't ask for a new hand either...you may come back as a deer.

Wish you luck Rob....if I can do anything let me know. Wink
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:32 am

You sound just like my inner rational voice Devon and I appreciate the support.  Just don't scare me with thought of 2 wives.....yikes!

It only dropped to 39 last night which was a good thing since the heater shut off at some point any way.  My guess is that a passing truck or train shook the heater enough for the safety to kick in.

I am on yet another vacation starting Monday and I should have both trucks on the road by mid-week, so I will be pushing hard to secure both commercial contracts as well as setting things up for winter.

If I could only find a heated shop again that could handle both vehicles....man, I miss those days!
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:02 pm

I can't wait for the winter. We had an unusually wet and humid August and September here. I had to change clothes between every job. Come on winter!

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:11 pm

I would love a Hawaiian winter too. Wink

Rob, Maybe with some work you could find a guy to employ full time and he could capture the work you cant get because of working (I think that came out right) When your off from your "other" job you can join in and pick up the speed....I suspect you miss a lot of work due to being at your other place of employment?

What is the temp difference from inside your van to the outside? When in garage non heated?
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Hawaiian winter, lol, yeah that would be the 70s, lol. But just like in LA, after a LONG summer like this year, I can't wait for winter to come, I know after 2 months in, I'll be b!tchin' about how cold it is and how I can't wait to get a little warmer .... than 70 degrees winter weather that is, ha...ha.....
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:37 pm

We live in an odd area...it gets colder north and warmer south...pretty common for anyone except for the fact we are on the cusp and get lots of ice rater than snow....ice is a different animal. Ive seen power line wires as thick as 6inches round with ice. Our electric company drives around hitting wires to know ice off so they wont break. Last winter I only fell 3 times, so it wasnt a bad winter. lol
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Devon07 wrote:I would love a Hawaiian winter too. Wink

Rob, Maybe with some work you could find a guy to employ full time and he could capture the work you cant get because of working (I think that came out right) When your off from your "other" job you can join in and pick up the speed....I suspect you miss a lot of work due to being at your other place of employment?

What is the temp difference from inside your van to the outside? When in garage non heated?

I have been kicking around that very idea, especially with the second truck.....well 1.5 trucks now. It could work and maybe work extremely well, but no matter how good they are, they will not be me. Not to sound arrogant, but I get my jobs by selling myself first and the service second. With others becoming the face of the business without me, it is just selling the service and that will only go so far.

The garage is at least partly insulated, but not heated. Still, it will remain 10 degrees warmer in the garage than outside. I normally run oil-filled heaters in the van once the temps drop below 40 degrees and it will keep the van interior well over 65 degrees most nights.

The problems arise when the power cuts out when I am away working a 13 hour shift.....seems to happen a couple of times every winter.

The van will do okay in the garage again, but this box truck......just don't feel good about it. The plan was to have it working last Spring / Summer and then storing it inside for the winter. It just encountered too many set-backs and it missed the entire season. Probably should just sell it off to a warmer climate cleaner and shop for a newer van set-up....the garage is at least an extended 3-car model and could handle a second van easily.

On the good note, I just got the propane hose and correct regulator for the LG heater.....should be cleaning like a demon come Tuesday.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:33 am

I would focus on finding that good guy.....I know the ole "there's only one me story" but you need to find "that" guy....someone who really needs a break and has drive and motivation AND who is open to listening. I see this guy in his thirty's and maybe has a kid.....I really think I could find him with some work....your biggest problem will be you....you wont let someone else take control. I would work out some percentage deal.....teach him and have good communication with him.....dont sweat the small stuff. If he is making good money he will do good.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:12 am

Man that is a great pic of your van in front of that nice big house, Scott!!

That is marketing material right there! wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Devon07 wrote:I would focus on finding that good guy.....I know the ole "there's only one me story" but you need to find "that" guy....someone who really needs a break and has drive and motivation AND who is open to listening. I see this guy in his thirty's and maybe has a kid.....I really think I could find him with some work....your biggest problem will be you....you wont let someone else take control. I would work out some percentage deal.....teach him and have good communication with him.....dont sweat the small stuff. If he is making good money he will do good.

I agree, even the younger one with kids, I took a chance with a 19 years old boy many years ago, he was having a baby, my sister told me no, I hired him, he turned out to be the best worker I've ever had, unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago in Arizona ( car accident ).
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Oh wow DP...thats a bummer.

Davey, funny thing is, I have a crap load of pics like that....im getting the calls I knew I would. I posted that one locally because of whos house it is....many will use me just because Im in front of that one....small community benny!
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Who's house is it, if you don't mind saying?
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:22 pm

Well, its only big to this area. The guy is in oil and a strong name in this area.....when others see me there.....Im a shoe in if I can work for him.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:47 pm

With the price of oil plummeting you might be able to pick this up for a song.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:38 am

This is the type of guy that makes money in both directions. Oil money doesnt struggle when its been in the family for three generations. These are the guys who invest well.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down