Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Recirculation System

3 posters

Go down

Recirculation System Empty Recirculation System

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:40 pm

Okay, ACE, this one is aimed at you, but all ideas are welcomed.

I have decided to follow the path of Fire Trucks and set up a recirculating water system on my box truck to keep it from freezing up en route to the jobsite. It will not do anything for my tools and chems, but if I can keep the water moving in the system, I can carry a small selection of gear in the cab with me and be okay for winter.

The question is how do I do it?

My intentions are to install a 12v on-demand water heater connected to the system so that I can circulate the water in a loop with some temperature rise in the process. It would have to pass through the fresh water tank, circ pump, water box, and cat pump en route back to the fresh tank and 12v water heater.

Is this an achievable idea or is this really just a PITA with little gain kind of thing?
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Recirculation System Empty Re: Recirculation System

Post by ACE Services Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Ok, this is something I have been thinking about for a while. But haven't had a  opportunity too try out. For your freshwater tank I've been thinking if you used say 10 feet of 3/4" copper tubing coiled in away that you can get it in through the top of the tank then tie it into the the vehicle coolant system so the coolant is being circulated through the cold by the engine water pump. With a reduced outlet on the coil to 1/2". 
Now Rob this is for you. There is a kit for adding a rear heater to vans or older vehicles that never had a heater. It has a 12vdc fan motor on it that could be used to blow heated air towards the cat pump and unit. You would need to plumb it first then to the coil and back to the engine. Then with a cutoff valve in one line to stop water flow. Let me know what you think.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:24 pm

That was my first thought too, those Mohjave heaters. My concern would be that the hoses would have to pass through the exposed space between cab and box which could reduce the temps and possibly affect the engine cooling system.

I could route it through a pvc pipe or something, but I would be treading pretty deep into the jerry-rigging pond with that set-up.

With the propane bottles getting mounted outside the box and not connected, I might be able to use radiant heaters mounted on the ceiling. I do have a circuit pre-wired into the box for lighting, so I might be able to power something that way.....probably not able to feed too much power though.

Webasto heaters that tapped into the fuel tank sounded like a good idea as well, but the output isn't strong enough to make enough impact....remember, this thing has air gaps along each door so it is liking driving an open window.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:37 pm

I just ripped one of those heaters out of the express. coolant lines all the way to the very back then they run through a heat box
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:06 pm

The key is that they were still inside the vehicle and not exposed outside. In my case, I would have a 6 feet space where it had to run outside. That and these diesels don't seem to generate as much heat in the first place.

They are forecasting a warmer than normal winter, so maybe it will not be too bad this year. I only wanted to use the box truck on the larger commercial accounts where I need to carry 400 feet of hoses. That is only about 4 times per month....hopefully, they will be in the low 20's on those nights.

I may just have to buy a few pallets of RV antifreeze and plan on spending a lot of time winterizing.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:18 pm

The only thing left that I know of left is. Buy a power inverter couple queen size electric blankets and some moving blankets. Wire the inverter to the truck battery with 10ga wire mounted inside the back. The electronic blankets don't pull a lot of amps. Wrap the unit with one put the moving blankets on top of that. Use the other one to wrap wands hand tools chemicals the same way. The movers blankets hold in the heat .If you can't heat the room heat the components. This also works for shops even the guy's in the mountains of NC and Tennessee do this and their equipment rarely freezes. Solution lines can be blown out with air wands also. You could use the 12vdc pump to keep the water in the water tank moving, you can wrap the tank with plastic then electric blanket.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:49 pm

I think you hit it on the head ACE:

"...can't heat the room heat the components"

I like that approach....time to get to work while the temps are still above freezing.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down