Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Finally did it....

+2
milspec6
Freemind1
6 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

Finally did it.... Empty Finally did it....

Post by Freemind1 Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:10 am

I am in the process of buying a RO/DI water fed system and a water fed pole.

About 3500 gets me in the door. I can reach three stories high from the ground. 160 feet of hose, plus the 50 foot from my water hose hookup.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Finally did it.... Empty Re: Finally did it....

Post by milspec6 Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Smartest thing you have ever done, sir.

I see the guys around here with buckets and vinegar all the time and it always amazed me that they didn't run DI systems.

I don't know if it is too late, but check with Dultmeier Sales on that stuff....they normally have very good prices on DI systems used by car washes.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:06 pm

A DI/RO system is a serious investment, compared to anything else a window cleaning company buys (unless you do high rise).

But I am sold on the stuff Perry Tait and thefutureofcleaning.com sells. The VALUE in the equipment is bar NONE, the absolute best. I am ordering a wash-it pro (ro/di system) and a 3 story Reach-it mini. Also picking up an extra 160 foot of Rhino tube.

My system will be portable, and not mounted in a van/truck. I also will not be carrying water. I'll hook up at the clients home.

I did the bucket and squeegee for two years. Nothing wrong with it, just it's better with a WFP and zero TDS water.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:39 am

So, I guess there will be no turning back to carpets for you then?

Aren't you going to miss cleaning up pee and baby poop in a jade green wall-to-wall shag carpet for a cheap bastard who keeps the house at 95 degrees year round due to arthritis?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:49 am

No, no more residential carpets. It would only be commercial (small) carpets after hours.

Since I started cleaning glass, I have absolutely LOVED doing it. Don't get me wrong, I liked cleaning carpets too, but it is a lot more "hassle" than window cleaning. A lot more equipment and hoses to deal with, as opposed to windows.
I make great money cleaning glass.

One thing we NEED in my area, is roof soft washing. However, just like carpets, I'm not convinced people will pay what it should be worth, to get it done. That's an even bigger investment than a RO/DO and a waterfed pole.

Just remember, those cheap bastards have windows too! I get call from them for estimates all the time, and I love making their jaw hit the floor with my estimates. I don't work for beer money. I run a business, not a charity. It's because of the nature of those no win estimates, I have seriously thought about charging a FEE for estimates.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:05 am

I think every carpet cleaner reaches that point after many years where dealing with those hoses become no better than rolling the rock up hill for life.

I applaud your awareness to locate a new direction...even if it ends up being just a break for a few years prior to returning to carpets.

Post Script: I probably shouldn't use the word "break" when talking to a glass cleaner.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:14 am

How heavy is that pole with long hoses to reach 3 stories ? Wouldn't that kill your arms after some time ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:58 am

He would be well trained for fly fishing after a year of that.....like the Hulk on the creek.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:35 pm

Wfp?
TDs?
What does a DI/RO water do better?
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:27 pm

dp1 wrote:How heavy is that pole with long hoses to reach 3 stories ? Wouldn't that kill your arms after some time ?

It's a carbon fiber pole. It's not all that heavy, but if you were running it 10 hours a day, you'd know it. The hose in it is actually pretty small. A garden hose feeds the filter unit, but it's small hose that feeds the water to the glass. Think the size of a fish aquarium line. It's not much bigger than the air hose to feed the aerator on an aquarium.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:28 pm

Matt; My carpet cleaner wrote:Wfp?
TDs?

Water Fed Pole. WFP.
Total Dissolved Solids. TDS
RO/DI water is pure water. As in like distilled water. It leaves zero residue or hard water spotting. It also has cleaning power.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:29 pm

milspec6 wrote:He would be well trained for fly fishing after a year of that.....like the Hulk on the creek.

I already fly fish. Laughing

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:00 am

Freemind1 wrote:
TDs?

Water Fed Pole. WFP.
RO/DI water is pure water. As in like distilled water. It leaves zero residue or hard water spotting. It also has cleaning power.

Is that what Zero rez use ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:07 pm

how do you clean the window sills and tougher debris off also just be able to see it up close to know it was cleaned well?

or is commercial a bit different and it just needs a wipe? just wondering because my guy doing windows for us is pretty against the WFP. he just sticks with the idea that you cant see the window well up close so if any razor blading or steel wool scrubbing is needed it wont do the job well enough

maybe hes old school but hes pretty set on getting up close with ladder and doing it by hand
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:31 pm

dp1 wrote:
Freemind1 wrote:
TDs?

Water Fed Pole. WFP.

Is that what Zero rez use ?

I think so, but don't they use something in the water to turn the PH slightly acidic?

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:43 pm

ACpower1 wrote:how do you clean the window sills and tougher debris off also just be able to see it up close to know it was cleaned well?    

or is commercial a bit different and it just needs a wipe?        just wondering because my guy doing windows for us is pretty against the WFP.        he just sticks with the idea that you cant see the window well up close so if any razor blading or steel wool scrubbing is needed it wont do the job well enough

maybe hes old school but hes pretty set on getting up close with ladder and doing it by hand

There is a brush on the end of the pole, brother. You can brush sills, frames, and even the siding of the house, if you wanted to. When the window is dry (usually not long after cleaning) you'll see if there are streaks, spots, or whatever on the glass.

I don't do commercial, but will for the right money. You just can't run a WFP in winter here. It would freeze.

I never blade glass anyway, unless there is a sticker or something similar on it. Don't use steel wool either. I use mops that have a scrubber strip, to get off the "gunk" on windows for now. It works great, and NO risk of damage to the glass.

Your guy is just plain old school, and unwilling to learn something new. A WFP will GREATLY speed the job up, make life easier and SAFER, and make you bank. If he falls off the ladder, it will likely cost you more than the whole WFP system I am buying. And I got several "extras" like extra tubing, a gooseneck kit, extra resin, and an extra boar's hair brush. All for less than 4K.

I even bought an Indoor pure water indoor kit a week ago. REALLY liking it so far. No more belt and stuff clanging around inside the home. It does a great job.

Old school is fine, but the newer technology is faster, safer, and just plain better. It really makes you money, when comparing it to traditional-old school methods.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Can you add a camera to that pole? A simple back-up camera would do the job and allow you to see closer to the window for those flaws. Cost maybe $150.

As for that "Zero" cleaner, they don't use DI water. They only use their magic bean blessed by the Pope water. Okay, it is just salt water and a soap-free product from what I have seen...the only "special" thing about it is the marketing and all the water-heads that belief it.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:33 pm

Perry Tait has added a go-pro to his pole on several occasions for training purposes, Rob. You could add one I guess, but don't see the point in it.

When the water coming down is clear, there isn't any dirt left on whatever you were cleaning.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Interesting info, FM.......Thanks!

in this area it's always seemed like window cleaning is more cut throat than what we do, so I've never had interest in doing it.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:51 pm

I expect some day, at least one other person will get the idea to start a window cleaning business to Davey. But I don't care if they do. I am THE professional here. I have a lot invested in equipment and learning.

As good as you are with carpet cleaning and selling it, I have no doubts if you started a window cleaning division, you'd do just fine. Just stay clear of commercial if you can. Commercial is the lowest paying, most cut throat side of it.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:42 pm

Freemind1 wrote:Commercial is the lowest paying, most cut throat side of it.

Ain't it like that in almost any business ? It's a pity !
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:06 pm

It sure is....I blame accountants
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down