Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

New lesson learned about LG heaters

+2
Freemind1
milspec6
6 posters

Go down

New lesson learned about LG heaters Empty New lesson learned about LG heaters

Post by milspec6 Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:29 pm

I spent 5.5 hours cleaning a commercial building (just finished up about an hour ago) where the temps started at 37 and dropped to about 22 at completion. Everything when well and despite the 45 mph wind gusts, it wasn't too painful.....except for the lesson.

These little giant heaters really do work great, but when they are mounted in an unprotected place out in the cold, that burner almost never shuts off and was burning the hell out of me inside the building with temps around 225 ATW at the end of 250 feet of hose. The thermostat (which it really isn't) was set a little over half way, but it really didn't matter since the outside temperature was affecting the burner more than the dial was.

This finalized my opinion that this box truck set-up will never work out for winter usage. The diesel doesn't generate heat until driving no matter how fast I set the idle, so I can't even pre-heat the cab before placing the freeze sensitive items inside. Then there is the need to winterize after each usage and now the fact that the heater is going to be on "burn it down" mode every time I clean below freezing....just not a good set-up for winter operations.

It will be descaled, unloaded, and winterized at the end of this week and that will be the last time it gets used for cleaning until March.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

New lesson learned about LG heaters Empty Re: New lesson learned about LG heaters

Post by Freemind1 Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:39 am

Man that sucks. I bet it takes quite a bit more propane too.

Can you shut the door most of the way to keep the cold and wind off the LG?

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

New lesson learned about LG heaters Empty Re: New lesson learned about LG heaters

Post by dp1 Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:39 am

Can’t you install bypass valve ? I know you’ll still waste propane but if you can’t turn the thermostat down or close the door like James suggested, not sure if there is anything else you can do.
I’m not sure if you used extraction detergents or acid rinse or not, but if you don’t, you can just use a bleeder hose and just open it up a bit and let the hot water goes outside instead of bypassing into your waste tank. I’ve done that a long time ago with my older performer when the bypass hole in my check valve clogged.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:47 am

Good suggestions, I will be cleaning again tonight and it will be even colder....will try closing the door as there should be plenty of oxygen available with the other doors open.

Outside of that, I think it is just the way it goes and yes, it used a LOT more propane.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:51 pm

Well, closing the roll up door did help quite a bit. Temps were still a little higher than my hands like it, but at least I didn't feel like I was handling a flaming log this time.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:43 am

I think anyway you look at it cleaning in extreme temps is going to cost you more. Diesel is actually preferred in extremely cold areas like rural russia, norway etc.

needs anti gel added to fuel though.

Probably the best for your situation would be a CDS and spend a lot on van insulation so all doors are closed while cleaning. Thats what the saiger guy runs, hes in a really cold climate as well
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:11 pm

CDS / Butler....same set-up and why I love my Butler in the winter. Mine has 1 inch rubber foam panels on the ceiling and up all the walls with some 1/4 inch panels inside the doors. I am planning on making a divider to place behind the seats this month using a rigid foam panel.

I should insulate the glass as well, but not sure how I want to that right now.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by bob savage Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:32 pm

I would think the LG running and burning would generate a lot of heat inside the area where the LG resides.

The Unitrol on the LG is controlled by the heat of the hot water passing thru the heater. Being cold outside should not have an significant adverse affect on the LG. I used LG's for 15 years when I first started in the biz. I still use propane for TM heat, in frigid temps, and do not have any problem when cleaning.

I never had a problem with too high of temps cleaning in the winter using a truckmount down to below zero actual temps outside.
bob savage
bob savage

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Well this is my first venture into using propane heaters so I am trying to get a grasp on all this. It is a #4 High Psi (2200 psi) model and although it does generate some heat around it, it sits in a 100% aluminum box so the heat transfers to the outside rapidly.

I am not sure how much of an impact that Unitrol really has, it was set on low last night and I was still over 200 degrees at the wand 300 feet away....with 75 feet resting on the cement outside at 27 degrees. I don't mind that temperature, but that was on the low setting for Pete's sake.

Maybe it is more of the fact that it is the #4 LG than it is the outside temperatures? All I know is that running a 12 flow wand at 300 feet on a below zero night with the heater set on low is still freaking hot at the wand.

I've been a Butler operator since 1999 where I get 205 degrees at the machine and about 180 at the wand. I have never had any trouble getting carpets clean with that temperature nor come home with burnt hands. I might just not be a fan of high heat cleaning?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:52 pm

I much prefer high heat, Id rather have high heat and slightly less vacuum. hot water dries very fast.

cleaning ability increases significantly every 10 degrees
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:02 pm

See, I am the opposite, I prefer high vacuum and moderate heat. Chemistry and agitation are superior to high heat in my view unless you are cleaning a grease pit.

Plus, the lower heat is a lot friendlier on the equipment as well as less scaling on the heater coils.

It just comes down to one's preferences as they both have pros and cons.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinj6121 Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:04 am

Well i'm all in on the chemistry and agitation, but I use a portable and just hot tap water with 70 foot or less hose
kevinj6121
kevinj6121
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 am

That's all I did with the Steamin Demon for 2 years as well Kevin. I never failed to get things clean with that set-up, just difficult to market to the public.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Hey Rob, have you seen the Aero Tech option they have as an upgrade to their XT machine?

Its what looks like a 220v block heater and also 2nd heater that are installed in the box. Their systems are also Isuzu NPRs. I saw a video describing the block heater, it looks like you plug the truck in like you would an RV and it keeps everything warm in the winter months
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:29 pm

I have not, but I will research it....thanks
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down