Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Ammonia use

+6
Joe Bristor
Mo
( miller ) gerry
Ken Raddon
milspec6
dp1
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ammonia use Empty Ammonia use

Post by dp1 Sun May 18, 2014 4:00 pm

For all chemists out there, aside from accelerating stain removal process, does it really help removing stubborn / old stains that otherwise will not come out with peroxide alone ? Where do you buy yours ? At what percentage and what's the dilution ratio ?
And standing alone, does it work on any stains ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Ammonia use Empty Re: Ammonia use

Post by milspec6 Sun May 18, 2014 6:13 pm

I believe that it does help remove stubborn stains....been using a 3% solution for years, but you could go higher pretty safely, if you don't mind the smell.

Never used it as a stand alone, always mixed it with a detergent, so I can't help there.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Raddon Sun May 18, 2014 6:54 pm

I mix store bought regular non-sudsing amonia with Super Charger 50/50 and that makes a kick A.. red remover.

Ken Raddon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ( miller ) gerry Sun May 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Joe sells a strong ammonia. I forgot that I have two gallons. At present have not been using it.

( miller ) gerry
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.gemscarpetcleaningplus.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun May 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Ken Raddon wrote:I mix store bought regular non-sudsing amonia with Super Charger 50/50 and that makes a kick A.. red remover.

Which store ? And what's super charger ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 pm

( miller ) gerry wrote:Joe sells a strong ammonia.  I forgot that I have two gallons.  At present have not been using it.

Thank you Gerry, I'm hoping Joe will chime in and share his boat load of information about this subject.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Raddon Mon May 19, 2014 1:24 am

Super Charger is made by Steam Action and I buy it from Godfathers Cleaning Supply but unless you live in the Salt Lake area would suggest you buy it online somewhere.

Ken Raddon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon May 19, 2014 6:37 am

I can't stand the smell it
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon May 19, 2014 6:39 am

Nice work D looks very professional. I wonder if it might be too long?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Joe Bristor Mon May 19, 2014 7:17 am

"For all chemists out there, aside from accelerating stain removal process, does it really help removing stubborn / old stains that otherwise will not come out with peroxide alone ?"
Ammonia 'accelerates' oxidization as explained below.
Ammonia is a great additive in your stain removal processes, used with skill (experience).
Peroxide is not necessarily a favorite chemistry for 'stubborn/old stains'... peroxide is an oxidizer. It adds oxygen. That's it. Fortunately, oxidation is the ticket for removing many stains that surfactants don't necessarily remove; namely organic stains.
Review Cleaning by Color:
grays & blacks are soils & oils ... boost oil cutting with anything high pH, like sodium hydroxide, and/or ammonia.
browns, tans, light yellows = coffee, wine, pee = all Organic so Organic stain remover, Oxygen (peroxide contains stabilized oxygen. 
De-stabilize peroxide (loosely: 'activate'  'boost'  'accelerate') with ammonia or any high pH chemical, namely ammonia.

"Where do you buy yours ?"
Grocery store ~3% or me if you want it stronger. I buy 28% and dilute it down for my White Knight customers.
But even at ~3% from the grocery store, it packs a serious punch.
Recall liquid peroxide has a relatively low pH of around 3.  We use various chemicals to 'stabilize' (keep Oxygen gas dissolved in solution). 
Recall ammonia, even 3%, has an extremely high pH around 12.
So, we add ammonia to raise the pH, so to de-stabilize peroxide... the dissolved Oxygen gas comes out of solution forming the familiar white bubbles as it off-gases.
Pour some peroxide on concrete or asphalt and watch it react with the carbonate... you see a few large bubbles.
Pour down that same peroxide and add 3% ammonia, and you see many, many, tiny 'white' bubbles.
Use a professional sprayer designed for the purpose and you get credit for being their "White Knight" who came running to their rescue.  
It's magical to people who don't know the chemistry.
Amazing results + pro dispenser (White Knight Sprayer) = custys for life.

Never mix peroxide and ammonia in a closed container. Maybe a in a strong-walled pump-up sprayer but never in a trigger bottle sprayer type bottle or it will pop like a balloon.

"At what percentage and what's the dilution ratio?"
Start with a gallon of clear non-sudsing ammonia from the grocery store.
Add it to spotters you already use, to see how it helps.
Regular Parsons Ammonia is an amazing fire & smoke residue remover. 
I tell the story how I was first learning fire damage restoration, came equipped with PC Renovate, spent all day in a lil ole lady's mobile home.. getting nowhere.
She walks in late afternoon to see my frustration and reaches under her cabinet to hand me Parsons.... "here Sonny, try this!"
OMG, one swipe cut through all the smoke residue and Renovate residue. One swipe. 
This lil lady gets credit for coining "Cuts grease like a mutha" 

Add some vinegar or baking soda to reduce the strong odor.
I believe a popular spotter, Avenge, uses an odorless form of ammonia.
Be careful. Odorless ammonia is still ammonia. Combine it with chlorine products ... and you get a very toxic gas.

"And standing alone, does it work on any stains ?"
Pretty much. Anywhere raising pH helps, ammonia will help.

Makes a good upholstery cleaner... residue free since it's just a gas dissolved in water; once the gas is gone all you got left is water.
Other examples of gases dissolved in solution:
Liquid peroxide has oxygen gas dissolved in solution,
Soda pop has carbon dioxide gas dissolved in solution,
.... ammonia, oxygen, carbon dioxide... all gases they leave the solution ('off-gas'  'evaporate') as if they were never there.
In the case of ammonia & oxygen gases, we get residue free H+ and O2- cleaning. In the case of soda pop, we get bloated with sugar water.  
Bottomline, ammonia is best used as an additive in solution with other surfactants, esp. your protein spotters (great grease cutter).  

"I mix store bought regular non-sudsing amonia with Super Charger 50/50 and that makes a kick A.. red remover."
I have no idea what Super Charger is, but we used to use ammonia as our main red remover, years ago, before we realized that reducing agents are the ticket. 
I knelt over many a red stain with my steam iron breathing ammonia deep... not at all healthy... but worse, be advised that heated ammonia pulls color.... ALL COLOR!

"Super Charger is made by Steam Action"
How about a link to the MSDS?
Joe Bristor
Joe Bristor

http://www.WandersProducts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Raddon Mon May 19, 2014 3:09 pm

I looked online at http://www.steamaction.com/home.html and didn't see the msds.

Ken Raddon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon May 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Joe Bristor wrote:"For all chemists out there, aside from accelerating stain removal process, does it really help removing stubborn / old stains that otherwise will not come out with peroxide alone ?"
Ammonia is a great additive in your stain removal processes, used with skill (experience).
Peroxide is not necessarily a favorite chemistry for 'stubborn/old stains'... peroxide is an oxidizer. It adds oxygen. That's it. Fortunately, oxidation is the ticket for removing many stains that surfactants don't necessarily remove; namely organic stains.
grays & blacks are soils & oils ... boost oil cutting with anything high pH, like sodium hydroxide, and/or ammonia.
browns, tans, light yellows = coffee, wine, pee = all Organic so Organic stain remover, Oxygen (peroxide contains stabilized oxygen. 
De-stabilize peroxide (loosely: 'activate'  'boost'  'accelerate') with ammonia or any high pH chemical, namely ammonia.

Grocery store ~3% or me if you want it stronger. I buy 28% and dilute it down for my White Knight customers.
Recall liquid peroxide has a relatively low pH of around 3.  We use various chemicals to 'stabilize' (keep Oxygen gas dissolved in solution). 
So, we add ammonia to raise the pH, so to de-stabilize peroxide... the dissolved Oxygen gas comes out of solution forming the familiar white bubbles as it off-gases.
Pour some peroxide on concrete or asphalt and watch it react with the carbonate... you see a few large bubbles.
Pour down that same peroxide and add 3% ammonia, and you see many, many, tiny 'white' bubbles.
Use a professional sprayer designed for the purpose and you get credit for being their "White Knight" who came running to their rescue.  

Never mix peroxide and ammonia in a closed container. Maybe a in a strong-walled pump-up sprayer but never in a trigger bottle sprayer type bottle or it will pop like a balloon.

I tell the story how I was first learning fire damage restoration, came equipped with PC Renovate, spent all day in a lil ole lady's mobile home.. getting nowhere.
She walks in late afternoon to see my frustration and reaches under her cabinet to hand me Parsons.... "here Sonny, try this!"
OMG, one swipe cut through all the smoke residue and Renovate residue. One swipe. 

Be careful. Odorless ammonia is still ammonia. Combine it with chlorine products ... and you get a very toxic gas.

Makes a good upholstery cleaner... residue free since it's just a gas dissolved in water; once the gas is gone all you got left is water.
.... ammonia, oxygen, carbon dioxide... all gases they leave the solution ('off-gas'  'evaporate') as if they were never there.
In the case of ammonia & oxygen gases, we get residue free H+ and O2- cleaning. In the case of soda pop, we get bloated with sugar water.  
Bottomline, ammonia is best used as an additive in solution with other surfactants, esp. your protein spotters (great grease cutter).  

"I mix store bought regular non-sudsing amonia with Super Charger 50/50 and that makes a kick A.. red remover."
I have no idea what Super Charger is, but we used to use ammonia as our main red remover, years ago, before we realized that reducing agents are the ticket. 
I knelt over many a red stain with my steam iron breathing ammonia deep... not at all healthy... but worse, be advised that heated ammonia pulls color.... ALL COLOR!

Thank you Joe, greatly appreciate the info sir.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spot Doc Fri May 23, 2014 6:54 am

Great lessons in Safe Chemistry Use, thanks Joe . Always learning new and
better ways !

The Spot Doc

http://www.drygreenofva.com

Back to top Go down

Post by REALCLEAN Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:56 am

Joe Bristor wrote:"For all chemists out there, aside from accelerating stain removal process, does it really help removing stubborn / old stains that otherwise will not come out with peroxide alone ?"

I know he's banned, but I keep digging up these posts looking for info. He's a real contributor on these chems. I owe a lot of my peroxide use to Joe.

I've just added the MEA to my tool box. Any of you guys using it?
REALCLEAN
REALCLEAN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jan Sullins Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:28 pm

I used to be a distributor for Steamaction back in the 1990s. Sold some machines and
had quite a few customers that used what is now called "Supercharger" back then it
was called Extremely Clean Rinse and then Exremely Clean Supercharger.  I have used
a lot of it back then. It would do things that nothing else would. It is a powerfull peroxide for sure. Gets on your hands and it will remove all the oils out of your skin. A friend who was black got it on his hands and it turned it white..lol..  Mostly I used it in my Hydroforce injection sprayer. John Sales had a powder that was supposedly soapless and I would mix it with the Supercharger and spray it down on the carpet fairly
heavy . Then I would rinse it with hot water with that soapless powder and in many cases it did an outstanding job. Particularly on white or light colored carpets. The carpets were always squeaky clean went done. Like there was absolutly no residue left on the  carpet.

Jan Sullins

Back to top Go down

Post by REALCLEAN Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:40 pm

Cool. I'm starting to spearmint with it.
REALCLEAN
REALCLEAN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Can't stand the smell of amonia
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by REALCLEAN Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:40 am

Mo wrote:Can't stand the smell of amonia

Me either. Fortunately, MEA doesn't have an odor.
REALCLEAN
REALCLEAN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ( miller ) gerry Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:43 am

Have been boosting with MEA and finding great results. Kicks residential traffic lanes and greasy restraunts butt. Looking into buying 55 gallon drum.

( miller ) gerry
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by REALCLEAN Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:54 pm

( miller ) gerry wrote:Have been boosting with MEA and finding great results.  Kicks residential traffic lanes and greasy restraunts butt.  Looking into buying 55 gallon drum.

Been boosting what with MEA?

I'm spearmintin with encap.
REALCLEAN
REALCLEAN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ( miller ) gerry Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:52 pm

S.O.E. and or grease eraser.  

On really bad jobs.
4 oz / gal SOE
2 oz / gal Grease Eraser *  but going to try w/o this and add more MEA
2-4 oz / gal MEA
6 oz / gal 27% peroxide.

Has anyone bought a 55 gal drum of MEA?

( miller ) gerry
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:39 pm

I can't even find MEA in this area...I've tried the contractor stores and janitorial stores.....nothing.

Where are you finding the stuff? What kind of price?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ( miller ) gerry Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:57 am

Right now, I buy by the gallon from Joe.

( miller ) gerry
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Here are some other sources:
http://store.galladechem.com/monoethanolamine--technical-grade-5-gal-can-hazmat-p18473.aspx

http://www.sierrachemicalcompany.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=6&product_id=138&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.njserviceone.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:46 pm

eldiabloz wrote:Here are some other sources:
http://store.galladechem.com/monoethanolamine--technical-grade-5-gal-can-hazmat-p18473.aspx

http://www.sierrachemicalcompany.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=6&product_id=138&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Thanks...is that what Joe was using in his new S/O formulation that he was trying out?

I guess I need to call Joe on this one.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next