Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

I've had a sucky week so far

+5
Rainbow Rider
dp1
Davey Cracker
milspec6
Mo
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I've had a sucky week so far Empty I've had a sucky week so far

Post by Mo Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:24 pm

I had a cancellation, a returned check second one in the 7 years that I've been in biz, and a big tile job that the lady was not home for when I showed up. Arrhhhhh Hope you guys are having a better week.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

I've had a sucky week so far Empty Re: I've had a sucky week so far

Post by milspec6 Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Mine has slowed down after a flurry of apartments last week and this will be the first weekend without anything except a store front on the schedule.

Remember, you never know when you are walking around lucky...buy a powerball, grill a steak, and wait for the rally!
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:44 pm

Crazy business were in. Don't know what''s going to happen from one day the next. One day you're planning your Hawaii trip the next your worried about pay the bills.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Changed again. The returned check problem was fixed and the big tile job is back on for Sunday. I can't believe I agreed to work on a Sunday but she leaving town and It was partially my fault. Hawaii is back on.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Mo wrote:Crazy business were in. Don't know what''s going to happen from one day the next. One day you're planning your Hawaii trip the next your worried about paying the bills.

Ain't that the truth!!  Been in this biz for 27 years now, and it's still the same deal.  Too much work or not enough usually. laughing
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:57 pm

The only consolation there Dave is that I don't think Ill be cleaning into my 70's. At least I don't think so.

But when you think about it cleaning carpet might be the perfect retirement gig. You clean only for your best 20 customers per year and only when it's convenient for you. It could work.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:35 pm

It is a crazy industry and why many run from it.  Some just prefer having a set schedule and a paycheck every other Friday, but they also sit around dreaming about working for themselves.

When you think about it, everyone seems to want the same thing....to not have to work.  The only difference is that some feel you need to be rich to accomplish that while others choose to be poor to accomplish doing nothing.

You hear it all the time don't you?  "Boy, if I could just win the lottery, I would just sit on beach and do nothing".  Meanwhile, there is the guy down the street broke who IS just sitting on the beach doing nothing.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Very Happy Hopefully I find that happy medium somewhere. Work a little and hang out at the beach a lot.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Mo wrote:The only consolation there Dave is that I don't think Ill be cleaning into my 70's. At least I don't think so.

But when you think about it cleaning carpet might be the perfect retirement gig. You clean only for your best 20 customers per year and only when it's convenient for you. It could work.

Damn right Mo, my retirement plan is to clean for customers with $ 500 and up invoices only, WITH the biggest cleaning machine available installed on a box truck, with a robot worker pushing the wand and I'll roam around in front of it with a magnifying glass and yell at the robot if it missed a spot, they must already have robots 30+ years from now, I don't think it's unrealistic expectations dancing
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:31 pm

That would be nice wouldn't it? I would probably be more likely that they'll be very little carpet in home 30 years from now and then I will be forced to retire.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:58 pm

The future of carpet cleaning is self cleaning carpets. They'll take care of themselves until it's time for a really deep cleaning. That's where the poor carpet cleaner steps.

I think if done right carpet cleaning can be a great way to semi-retire.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:01 pm

Rainbow Rider wrote:The future of carpet cleaning is self cleaning carpets. They'll take care of themselves until it's time for a really deep cleaning. That's where the poor carpet cleaner steps.

I think if done right carpet cleaning can be a great way to semi-retire.

I see that to....we might be done cleaning carpet in due time. Always wise to sharpen other skills to keep the options open.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:10 pm

Mo wrote:That would be nice wouldn't it? I would probably be more likely that they'll be very little carpet in home 30 years from now and then I will be forced to retire.

In 30 yrs the carpet/wood/tile popularity cycle with have made two rounds with carpet being popular at that time again...........It will never totally disappear, I don't think...but that's why I clean it all now. Wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:59 pm

its no different than construction business, landscaping, roofing, siding, windows

any of these businesses are in the same boat.

for most all of them a worker only earns about 300/day in labor, the difference is with carpet cleaning they can earn 600 in labor

this is why I used to think the o/o was the way to go but I think if the market allows why not grow.

I have a competitor here that is doing 100k/ month with 4-5 vans and some area rugs. He wont have to keep that up for long to retire and the business definitely has value
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:11 pm

We are very fortunate to be in this business.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by sam miller Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:33 pm

ACpower1 wrote:its no different than construction business,  landscaping,  roofing,  siding,  windows  

any of these businesses are in the same boat.      

for most all of them a worker only earns about 300/day in labor,   the difference is with carpet cleaning they can earn 600 in labor

this is why I used to think the o/o was the way to go but I think if the market allows why not grow.

I have a competitor here that is doing 100k/ month with 4-5 vans and some area rugs.     He wont have to keep that up for long to retire and the business definitely has value

That could be misleading sales and what you actually keep and overhead hopefullly he's smart and doing the right thing's.

sam miller

http://www.sammillerscarpetcare.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sam miller Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:46 pm

I have had a great week but some screwballs, 1 lady booked a $360.00 job for 8-9 we verified noght before my son got there closer to 9 and another cleaner was hard at work making the money.

I called and she said I never made a appointment with you, So we magically got you address, date and time correct???? Ok well shes a B......

sam miller

http://www.sammillerscarpetcare.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Now that one would have pissed me off Evil or Very Mad
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Most Customers and cleaners (esp. the comp. boasting about doing 100k for example lol) are LIARS!
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Well, let's just say he's telling the truth, he's going to need 2 workers for each van to reach that kind of sales, that's 10 workers for 5 vans plus workers comps and taxes equal to about 35% of total sales, 10% for gas, 10% for van insurances and liability insurances, 5% for cleaning chemicals, 10% for maintenance of truckmounts and vans, without considering equipments wear and tear, that's already 70% expenses, still not bad if his sales is consistent throughout the year but I doubt he's still doing the same # during winter, I always feel there are more headaches than profits in running anything more than 3 vans. That's just me.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:23 pm

[quote="dp1"]Well, let's just say he's telling the truth, he's going to need 2 workers for each van to reach that kind of sales, that's 10 workers for 5 vans plus workers comps and taxes equal to about 35% of total sales, 10% for gas, 10% for van insurances and liability insurances, 5% for cleaning chemicals, 10% for maintenance of truckmounts and vans, without considering equipments wear and tear, that's already 70% expenses, still not bad if his sales is consistent throughout the year but I doubt he's still doing the same # during winter, I always feel there are more headaches than profits in running anything more than 3 vans. That's just me.[/quote

I believe you to be correct. More employees and vans, the more cash flow is needed. The more cash flow needed, the more advertising is needed, etc. The exception might be with franchises who have the benefit of national advertising and name recognition. By taking away the large advertising costs, it probably works.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:11 am

It's not taken away it's just called franchise fees
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:33 am

Tomorrow will make my 22nd day in row without a full day off. I am tired, but very thankful.
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.CarpetDaddys.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:26 pm

milspec6 wrote:
dp1 wrote:Well, let's just say he's telling the truth, he's going to need 2 workers for each van to reach that kind of sales, that's 10 workers for 5 vans plus workers comps and taxes equal to about 35% of total sales, 10% for gas, 10% for van insurances and liability insurances, 5% for cleaning chemicals, 10% for maintenance of truckmounts and vans, without considering equipments wear and tear, that's already 70% expenses, still not bad if his sales is consistent throughout the year but I doubt he's still doing the same # during winter, I always feel there are more headaches than profits in running anything more than 3 vans. That's just me.[/quote

I believe you to be correct.  More employees and vans, the more cash flow is needed.  The more cash flow needed, the more advertising is needed, etc.  The exception might be with franchises who have the benefit of national advertising and name recognition.  By taking away the large advertising costs, it probably works.

I think franchises generally charge the franchisee a advertising fee and a franchise fee. I've never worked for or owned one, but that is what I have derived from others when they talked about franchises.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:32 pm

That's not considering the pissed off brother in law who puts a brick through the windshield of you van. The technician who "stepped on a hose and twisted his ankle" so you'll have to finish his jobs (for the second time this month) when what he really wanted was to go on a three day bender. Lets also talk about the technician who collected a couple of big checks from the customers, filled his own name in and bought $800 worth of cocaine. All of those happened to us. Let them all brag about how big their company is and how much money they're making.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next