Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

The Original Zipper Wand Reviews

2 posters

Go down

The Original Zipper Wand Reviews Empty The Original Zipper Wand Reviews

Post by Mo Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:10 pm

I thought I would post the reviews from members that participated in the Zipper Loaner that started late 2013 and ended around April 2014 without all the chatter

Disclaimer: The Zipper that is being sold now has had some upgrades due t the feedback from these reviews. b It is interesting to read the reviews and how fatigue and chatter was experienced by some. Eric (Pro Touch) even suggested a new handle design. Not sure if I got all of Ryans review. I believe Bill Soukeroff was the only one to purchase the tool at that time. Dave never posted his review of the product months after these but feel free to add yours Dave

Eric ( Pro Touch)

I should have stuck with my instincts and not touched someone else's Zipper.  Smile  I'm 6'2" and found the ergonomics of this tool to be lacking. The handle is heavy and where the hoses attach up top force you to hold the tool away from you more than what I would call natural. The hose connections put the hoses right in my front pocket if I didn't hold it further out. I would rather push my lawnmower than use this thing, at least it's ergonomics are good. Perhaps a Titanium handle or locking handle to adjust height so you don't have to hold it up all the time and redesign of the hose leads so they're out of your way. That's my 2 cents.

Milspec
(I was hoping that this floater prgram might continue once things calmed down, but I guess it is done.  Reviews are being posted, so I guess I will include mine).

I was one of those cleaners that really wanted to like this wand from the start.  As soon as I took it out of the box, I was impressed with the appearence and apparent quality of the wand.  My hopes were high.

I tried it on a store front entry at a large grocery store chain to get some trigger time prior to larger jobs.  The manager was intrigued by the Zip and wanted to see it in action.  Unfortunately, it sufferred from a bad case of chatter and I looked like the father of that little leaguer who is picking his nose on third base, but that was my fault as I didn't set the height properly.

Once the height was adjusted a few times to find the right one, I was off to the races.  It cleaned well without needing a second pass and it was giving me good dry times, but I was not happy with the location of the solution hose as it attached to the handle right in the middle allowing the hot hose to hang down near my leg.  No big deal, just strapped it to the vac hose and finished the job.  

A couple of nights later was the marathon job that is basically 10-12 hours of straight wanding.  I normally did this contract with an RX-20 for the really bad areas and the PMF Ti wand for everyting else.  This night, I went with the Zip in hopes of getting faster production times.  (I really wanted to love this wand)

I showed the Zipper to a fellow cleaner that helps me on this job and he took about 3 passes with it, handed it back saying that is skipped too much and used too much water for his small recovery tank.  That was it, 3 passes and his mind was settled, but mine wasn't and I was still excited about this tool.

I had to make another adjustment to the height to rid the chatter from the store front job setting, but then I started making passes.  Again, it cleaned with single passes and it felt smooth with just the location of that solution hose to annoy me.  I really wanted a swivel on the end of the handle like many of the tile spinners have, but again, I strapped it to the vac hose for now.

After the first 2 hours, it was going well until the handle loosened up.  I had to fetch an allen wrench off the truck to tighten things back up, then it was back to work as I started to transition to another part of the building.

When I moved to the other part of the building, the chatter was back and I had to adjust the height for this next span of carpet.  Once it was better, I continued the chore.  It was here that I really started to appreciate the sight tube location.  It was giving me great feedback on the effectiveness of water recovery and I found myslef going back over areas hunting for water pockets in the little dips in the floor.  My production rate was down due to the water hunts, but my effective dry rate was impressive.

After 7 hours on the job, my middle back started to really tighten up.  I had the same problem cleaning with the Steamin Demon when I started out years ago.  With both tools, you tend to clean like you were mowing the lawn.  You hold your arms up high as you push ahead and drop the arms down low as you walk it backwards.  With the arms down low in a relaxed position, I would end up arching my back slightly (not even aware of it at the time) on the backstrokes.  It may just be my ape arms (I was concerned about that when Erik presented this tool) that is the problem, but it was becoming a concern as the night wore on.

Into hour number 8, I needed to tighten up the handle one more time.  If I had some lock-tite on the truck, I would have settled that issue, but I didn't.  It was a minor issue to me.  What wasn't a minor issue to me was that I started to have a qc start to drip at the hose connection.  Those drips would hit me in the thigh due to the location of the connection and that was a problem.  I ended up taking a break to change out the faulty qc and to stretch my back.  Looking back, I think I may have caused that leak by stressing the hose having it strapped out of the way...that swivel would have been nice, I said again.

Over the final hours of this job, I was happy with the way that the wand fit into tight spots and under railings...I didn't think that it would at first.  It continued to clean with single passes and with good dryness with just a sore back as a problem.  All in all, I went through approx. 265 gallons of water...not a small sum, but I have a 210 gallon waste tank and apo, so it wasn't a problem for me, but I would consider it if you are running smaller or else change out the jets.

So, what did I think in the end.  I think that this is a well built tool that fits somewhere between the best commercial wands (PMF Ti) and a good rotary extractor like the RX-20, which I think still digs deeper.  Back when the zipper  was invented, I can see how it would have probably been the best wand out there and just a little shy of the RX-20 in performance, but I think those Titanium wands have closed the gap to the point that the Zipper isn't as dominating now. I think it falls into a niche now for those that need a different motion due to physical deficiencies over the years and can't use a traditional wand any more.

Still, the Zipper is a solid tool that would be a great fit for the right person...I wasn't one of them.  The location of the solution hose connection, the chatter adjustments, the repeated loosening of the handle, and my sore middle back were all detractors for me and enough that I would not purchase one....especially at a price that rivals a good rotary extractor. Now if I had a shoulder or elbow issue....that might be a different story and probably where this tool should be targeted.

Muscle Truck

I guess I posted on wrong thread I'm knew to this lounge so bear with me I've been cleaning carpets for over 30 years I tried 13 inch zipper just wasn't for me very nice looking unit well built my opinion is for a lot of wide open commercial carpet it would have its place I've used a titanium all my life just to use to it the zipper skipped around on barber carpet the handle just to long in residential situations but once again very well built unit and for some guys it will be a good fit

Clean Tech

lol been busy guys... anyway here is some info

15"
Like everyone else once it arrived I was impressed with its (current) build quality. I think its the perfect weight for cleaning. Not too light.

Residential:
I dont really care for wands so using it in residential setting was easy to get the hang of. I found it much easier on the body over all compared to a wand.  Dry times are much faster as well.  No problems for me cleaning in tight areas and even getting into closets.  Super small packed rooms had the same problem as regular wands regardless of width.
It was the first thing I brought into the house and I would say 50% of my clients commented on it.  
The tool sure can lay flat allowing you to really get under furniture and beds! huge plus.  
It just plain out cleans the wand.

Commercial:
here is where it gets interesting.
I used it on quarterly places where I normally cimex or OP
Easily cut that time in half with better results.  (and I love vlm)
Did a shoe store that has tons and tons of isles and cross isles.  I would never think of using a rotary extractor in that situation but with the zipp being able to clean going down the isle, reach the end and walk to the tool back to the start of the next isle was GREAT.
The shoe store would take 3.5 hours with cimex, with zip 1.2 hours.....

I did have 2 stores that had terrible chatter(thankfully just in certain areas) which I could not fix. Either changing the tool height or cleaning from a different direction.
For No agitation it sure can clean amazing. Does it out clean rotary... I would have to say an honest no.
If you pre-scrub then probably but in my case where I already have a rotary extractor why would I do a 2 steps process and waste time?
Which is easier on the body? When you watch my videos take notice of who is moving around more.  On the versus video I (running rx) basically do a little bit of movement and let the machine heal and toe it. Where as my dad running the zip is doing allot more moving around.  

I would like to see a much longer sight tube window personally.

I truly loved the tool, price point is definitely in a nicer area now.  I want one, just not sure where this tools falls with all the other gear I  want....

Bill Soukoreff

Here is my report that I already sent to Joe. Pretty much the same, but with a few updates as I use the Zipper more and more. Thanks Eric, Joe and Mo (Cleaners Lounge) for the putting together the loaner program!

A Serious High Production Tool

We put the Zipper up against the Cimex in cleaning over 20,000 sq/ft of carpet.

Twice a year we clean a 20,000 ft conference hall. Normally we Cimex the main auditorium of 10,800 sq/ft and steam clean the front lobby and entrance ways of 7500 sq/ft and also some additional rooms adding up to another 2500 sq/ft. Last time we had three Cimex’s cleaning the main auditorium, some other rooms, and two truck mounts steam cleaning the lobby. It took 4 hours and about 4 to 6 hours to dry.

This time I decided to use the Zipper wand and extract all the carpet on my own. Actually, my wife helped out and we took turns using the Zipper. We pre-sprayed and then extracted with the Zipper. We average 2,700 sq/ft the first day finishing the main auditorium in just under 4 hours. The carpets where we started were bone dry when we left. We used the paper towel kneeling test, and picked up zero moisture. This was really good news, as the auditorium was scheduled to used that evening at 6:00pm.

The next morning we cleaned the lobby and other areas. This time we deliberately slowed down a little as we were dealing with entrance way dirt, grime, food and coffee spills. We completed the job again in 4 hours averaging 2500 sq/ft per hours. The carpets looked fantastic. The waste water was blacker and thicker then I have ever seen before and my 5 gallon filter box bags were filled with a surpassing amount gunk and yes, hair, even though this building has an excellent vacuuming regime. The Zipper cleans deeper then any other cleaning wand, period.

Conclusions Using the Zipper on Commercial Carpets

First, cleaning over 20,000 sq/ft with the Zipper put very little strain on the body. More then anything we simply felt like we walked allot! None of the usual strain and pain in the shoulder, neck, arms and wrist. I will be buying a Zipper for this reason alone. As Eric says, “your body is not stressed!” The speed of which you can move with the Zipper is nothing short of amazing. It actually drew a crowd of observers! Most thought it had to be motorized and self-propelled. You will feel new muscles in your back! But that is normal for muscles you don’t use and need to be strengthened.

Second, it out cleaned and out dried the Cimex while maintaining an even faster speed. The question begs to asked: “Why Cimex (Encap) when you can flush and really clean the carpets at faster rate and achieve the same if not even faster dry times?”

I think the real beauty of hot water extracting with the Zipper is often overlooked on the cleaning forums. This is a niche tool that gives competent owner operators a way of separating themselves from the pack now that the Cimex and encaping has become mainstream and the budget hack-style over wetting hot water extraction is the other alternative. With careful marketing, you can have your own specialty commercial market and take the high road while doing it.

More and more people are concerned about indoor air quality and VOC’s. Speed and dry times are still important for busy commercial centres. The Zipper can deliver on all these concerns. When we used the Cimex on this facility the last time, we used 6 gallons of a peroxide based encap that has a startling high usage rate of 10 oz per gallon of water. Granted this is a high number (normally about three gallons would do it) but that was the only way we could get good results on the numerous food and coffee spill and an even appearance. In Canada we pay a premium for cleaning products and so that job cost us about $350 including pads. With the Zipper we used a total of 4 cups of a VOC free pre-conditioner with a soft water rinse and about $60 in fuel to run the truck mount. So that comes to a whooping total of $80. Now you might we able to get by with cheaper encap solutions and ones that require less dilution, but it still will cost you more then flushing the carpets clean with the Zipper. The way the cleaning head of the unit captures the heat along with the higher PSI and flow equates to high performance.  

Of course, you also have to figure in the cost of using the truck mount versus the Cimex, but the benefits of cleaning with the Zipper are more than worth it. Instead of leaving 3-6 gallons of cleaning chemicals in the carpet, we left a minute amount. The manager of the facility and his wife both “felt” the carpets were cleaner and they also “feel better about having a facility that is more friendly to people who suffer from chemical sensitivities and asthma”.  They confessed they never really were sold on the whole encap theory and stressed out about vacuuming. They never really “felt” the carpets were clean. In fact, it gave them the creeps to think about it! These comments are subjective, true, but it really does not matter, as they are sold on this method as the best way to care for the carpets of their facility. Those are the customers we can attract with high performance cleaning with the Zipper.

Zipper and Residential

What about using the Zipper on residential?  Remember when you first used a hole glide and angled jets and you were shocked and excited how when you went back to check the first room you cleaned and it was almost dry? I am now having the same experience again. The carpets dry that much faster again with the Zipper. Extraordinary dry times and really, really deep cleaning. The Zipper will dry faster then any other low moisture system that used water. The flushing power is fantastic and relegates additional agitation to only the very worst of jobs. Honestly, I do not get really trashed jobs, so for me I can safely say “good by” to additional agitation or the use of rotaries. I dislike using rotaries on residential. My first job with the Zipper was a very long hose run into a cold (winter) basement with a white cut pile nylon that was pretty bad by my standard. The Zipper cut through it all beautifully with no extra effort or harsh cleaning chemicals. I had the PSI turned up to 550/600 on this one and expected the carpet to be wetter then normal, but when I kneeled down, to my surpass it was barely damp.

Manoeuvrability. I had the 15” Zipper on loan and it manages surprisingly well in tight areas. However, I would be interested in seeing how much more agile the 13” Zipper would be for residential. I love using a 14” wand, but I think the 13” Zipper would be a better choice for residential use. Until you use the Zipper and realize how you can clean back and forth with no need for dry strokes or careful overlapping, the speed difference between the 13” and the 15” would be nil in my estimation. In fact the 15” might be slower due to being less agile and harder to push on some carpets. Update, I bought the 13” Zipper and it is more agile in residential. So far in two months, I have only had to use the wand once for a really tight job and once for a thin area rug.

Area rugs. The Zipper on area rugs is a real treat. Little to no over spray and a much more deeper clean with no fears of over wetting on hardwood. Gilded wands are great on area rugs but the Zipper is much, much better. On thinner rugs it won’t work as it just sucks too hard and will grab the edge of the carpet. It removes tons of gunk out of wool rugs.

Other ramblings. One other thing I like was how quiet the Zipper is, and it really makes a difference, I feel more relaxed while using it and now dread my noisy stair tool. I raised the rear wheels about an 1/4” and that seemed perfect for most padded carpets. On a high pile cut nylon, you can raise it even more. Play around with the height settings.

Negatives. No tool is perfect. The Zipper is not a catch all tool. In residential, it is not a time saver like commercial, and will take a little longer then a wand, but the results are worth it and its still faster then a precrub/wand combo or a rotary. It does take time to get use to it, and learn not fight it, but instead maximize it’s strengths. You will either love it or hate it. You need to retrain your brain. You will know what I mean when you use it. As mentioned it removes a ton of gunk. That gunk and hair will build up quickly on the front slotted glide. At the end of each job, just run the hose across the glide creating a seal with your fingers and remove the hair. That way you will never have to use the tweezers that Eric supplies with the unit! Also, while its true you can jet the Zipper to match your TM, I still think you want a decent sized blower, and you will use lots of water. But that's why it cleans so well.

Summery. I hope Eric sells hundreds of this amazing piece of engineering and design. I invited a 35 year carpet cleaning veteran who has a very successful business  to try it out on that large commercial job. We always get together to test new products. Nothing that has come out in the last few years has impressed either of us, despite the hype. These experiences have left us both jaded. It took me awhile to convince my friend to come and try the Zipper. After using it for only ten minutes he turned to me and said, “Why has no one thought of this before now? I have been cleaning for 35 years, and have never been left so impressed by a single piece of equipment.” Needless to say, we both purchased the Zipper!

Dustin has some really great videos of the Zipper in action. Lets see them Dustin!

Ryan

Kinda hard to use wrong. You push and pull, and fight the thing to death on all maneuvers. I had it for at least 6 weeks, very time I took it out of the van to clean, my lower back killed me for the next week.

I just don't see the advantage in a tool like that unless your doing large ball/conference room.

Get ready or rotator cuff surgery if you run that thing with one arm. That unit is not light by any means.

Last edited by Mo on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

The Original Zipper Wand Reviews Empty Re: The Original Zipper Wand Reviews

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:31 pm

As stated in another Zipper thread I emailed my review to Joe, because I didn't want to give it a bad rap here. laughing

But I'll go back (sore) thew my email sent box and find it and post here, now that the cats out of the bag. laughing

Mo, you may also want to include those guys who chose to do a video review of it.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

The Original Zipper Wand Reviews Empty Re: The Original Zipper Wand Reviews

Post by Mo Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 am

Yeah Clean tech had a pretty good video
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator