Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

The worst fall first!

4 posters

Go down

The worst fall first! Empty The worst fall first!

Post by Devon07 Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:09 am

In the past two/three weeks I got three calls from competitors employees wanting to work for me. One guy I was pretty sure just needed a place to mark down that wasnt hiring for his unemployment the other two were serious and really were trying to work it, both told me where they worked and one was very respectful of the competitors info....I respect that....he did say its getting slow and he just needs to work. He has been with them for a year and a half.

I think its a sign I'm putting pressure on these guys....I'm also working on my site and getting things done there to bring more added pressure. The key to my past success in this business is being repeated....they say once you earn your first million the next one is easy, well, this is true....I'm repeating my past success and I'm seeing the same signs that I seen when I did this before. I'm not at all trying to sound arrogant but when you start to succeed so easy because of doing it "right" then its deserving. As a matter a fact if these guys leave I may have less work....when I clean and its a customer who has in the past cleaned a lot....I can smell simple green in the carpet.....I use defoamer probably more than anyone here, these guys are using everything under the sun as a pre treatment. These guys are just not thinking....my biggest competitor is within 3 months of being brought to his knees! I wont go into detail but when the time is ready I will share.

I told you guys early on im not your typical average every day person....I tic to a different clock, Im very ethical, I work hard and I take business serious. I know how to build a business while at the same time dismantling the bad ones. I never step on the bad guy to boost me, but I cant help it if they bend over and become a step.

This time around I'm very streamlined with my moves, I'm repeating the past with great precision and at a much faster pace.The only problem I can see is the fact Im not going to push as hard as in the past....im not going to be a volume cleaner. So, I think its going to get real interesting around here.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

The worst fall first! Empty Re: The worst fall first!

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:32 am

Impressive.....soon you will be too busy to visit us. Very Happy

The guy that I worked for out in Laguna decades past used to tell me that you only need a core 15 loyal customers to keep a business afloat. Once you achieved that number, they would provide the referrals that grow your business. Always sounded achievable to me.

You also touched on the one thing that I target over here......doing the job right is a rare thing in this industry and is one great way to set yourself apart.

Many of these cleaning boards lean towards how to make the most money by finding short-cuts instead of doing things the correct way. I remember one site used to suggest that you only clean the traffic areas and just rinse the others with cold water to save on propane usage. I'm sure the use of Simple Green was probably a cleaning board suggestion along with WD40 and bisquick.

When you choose to do things the right way, people will notice and people will desire your services. It is just a matter of getting the word out that the option is available.....sounds like you did that very quickly.

Like I said, I am impressed.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks Rob, Im doing my best to clean things up around here. lol
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:32 am

That's how you stay in business for the long haul. In the past thirty plus years I've seen companies come and go in this business. Only the good ones stick around for long. If the customer wants cheap let them rent a machine at the grocery store. Quality doesn't come cheap.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:09 pm

weird, how would a cleaner only steam traffic areas then turn off propane to rinse the other areas with cold water?

that would take like 10x as long to do the job

quality is definitely very important and doesnt seem like you have much competition to worry about Devon.

we have lots of high quality companies here but its also a very large city
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Yeah AC...this was a big reason I got back in....I didn't have time to build over a year or so and knew I could be busy pretty quick. True the locals are pretty bad.....they sing the song though. When I was in DP and Davey's hood back in the day we had many high quality company's and that's when I learned the majority of what it takes to succeed. I have a lot of work still but I'm impressed with my numbers already and its only been what 4 months so far?

I only have four to deal with ...three are ready to sit down and shut up....the fourth thinks he has no worries, this will be what weakens him....he will go down fast when I make my move. (Dismantle)

I have no idea how one cleans partially with hot then cold and in areas separated....seems easier and cheaper to do it the right way....that's the way this equipment is designed....to be efficient and quick with quality.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:34 pm

There are a lot businesses around here doing it the wrong way. One of the largest in this area runs 7 trucks and only 2 of them are any good. In order to save on over-head, they don't prespray or agitate at all. They just run a very caustic emulsifier through their rinse and crank up the heat.

It's cheap and it both looks and SMELLS just as cheap, yet they keep growing in size as they cater to the lower end of the customer base and slum lords.

I am looking forward to next Spring already and going full-time again. I don't expect success like you Devon, but I am pretty certain I can push the rats out of the barn and hold my own.

Well, I have to get my trucks working again first. laughing
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:55 pm

Rob, I think with your background and wisdom you can blow them away if you go full time. Most company's are running scared that someone will come along like you. Success like me?....well, its my success....I need to make much more money but I can play the game. I was told when I came to this town there wasnt room for another cleaner....they were correct except for the fact there wasnt room for three cleaners and me. Wink
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:26 pm

When they collapse, are you going to be scooping up any equipment?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:49 am

No....the real funny thing is...two of them have my old equipment, when I sold my Co. I sold with updated equipment and had previously sold four truckmounts......two are still around and not doing well....it would be one thing if they kept them up but they are oil leaking bad sounding machines....bright side is, they match the van they are in.

Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:28 am

they match the van they are in.

laughing
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:55 am

I had the same experience with selling old truck mounts. I sold my first CDS in an 86 Chevy van (Yes I've been around that long. LOL) with 100,000 miles on the clock. That's a lot on an island. Three owners later it was barely running. Cleaning with cold water (the heat exchangers were plugged up). The owner was scared to run the engine at speed as he was afraid it would fly apart. Needless to say I had no problem taking away a big contract from him. He's now out of business. I wonder why.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:17 pm

Growing up poor has its advantages! lol We lurn what not to do.

Rainbow, youve been at it a while huh?
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:40 pm

I don't have a problem with old gear....it doesn't take technology to blow and suck. If they made a steam powered rig I would probably buy it. Very Happy

The key is you have to maintain them and upgrade when needed. I have seen company after company run on the "run to fail" approach and not just in this industry. Fact is, it is rampant across all industries as part of this "throw away" society that we live in now.

I hate junk and will not tolerate it. The important thing to note is that "junk" comes in both old and new things. I just visited with a flooring installer at Lowe's who drove a '71 Dodge Tradesman van in perfect condition. He said that he was the second owner since 1981 and although it has had the driveline replaced, it looked like it rolled off the showroom floor.

That guy gets it.....I am certain that his customers receive that same kind of attention to quality that he put into maintaining his van.

Run your stuff to fail = Running your business to fail.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:21 pm

So true Milspec, My night truck is a 2007 Chevy Colorado flatbed with a shell. It hauls a 1992 Bates D-84 Big Red diesel. The D-84 is now in it's third ride. Same diesel engine but new blower and re-built pump (two or three times, I've lost track). Still runs like a champ.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Very true guys....these guys can have new rigs and in a matter of months run them into the ground....we have a carpet cleaning guy here that most kid about.....we think he is a better mechanic....hoses into the house and feet sticking out from under the hood is a very common picture when you see him cleaning.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:12 pm

Devon07,

Yeah I been at it a long time. Cleaned my first carpet about 1972. I rented a machine from the grocery store and cleaned my ex-mother-in-law's house. Soaked the shit out of it. I thought I did a good job. LOL Went full time in 1984 with a Hydramaster Bob Cat. Still going strong. Anyone old enough to remember Argosheen and a Clark drag extracter? What a nightmare.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Rainbow Rider,

Ive used some old stuff in my time but it was maintained well. Here is a site you may enjoy.....as a matter a fact everyone should like this site. Ive used a lot of whats in it too. My favorite was the rugs in the giant wringer near the end....also, the old Duraclean franchise...I managed one for a few years....electric truckmount was impressive back then.

https://historyofprofessionalcarpetcleaning.wordpress.com/
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:44 pm

cool site, didnt realize the pile lifter had been around so long.

We have a very old company here DA Burns, they started cleaning rugs in the Seattle area around the early 1900s I believe.

They still operate to this day charging around 55 cents/ sq ft, running about 40 trucks

and 2 multi-million dollar cleaning facilities, one in Bellevue and one in Seattle.

They dont participate in ICE and those other events but these guys are like 40x larger and more successful than that Howard Partrige guy who puts on all the talks and seminars
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:11 pm

I think every cleaner that has been at it for more than 10 years probably is aware of DA Burns. I live nowhere near that region and I have been hearing about them for years.....that is a real testament for any company.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down