Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Preparing for winter

4 posters

Go down

Preparing for winter Empty Preparing for winter

Post by milspec6 Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:06 pm

Last night, I went for my daily run at about midnight.  It had been a nice day with sun and 67 degrees, but it had now taken a deeper dip than was forecasted.  The weather man said that it would remain above 40 degrees at night for at least another week or two, but the gauge at my house said 36 degrees and I could clearly see my breath.

So, I panicked a little and threw a couple of heaters in the box truck since it is not winterized at this point.  The inside of the aluminum box was freaking cold and had me worried....laser gauge showed 42 degrees at the pump.

Today, I decided to get some work done protecting the cargo box, but not winterizing just yet.  Just a few simple modifications that will make it easier to heat and keep heat inside.  Actually, it turned out pretty good.

Step One:  Reducing the compartment size

I purchase some 1.5 inch thick insulation panels and installed them above the compartments.  This reduced the compartment from 8 feet tall to only 5 feet.  It is only an R-5 rating, but compared to zero, it should help keep the heat from rising too fast.

Obviously, these panels will have to be removed when the machine is operating since they aren't the best for flame resistance, but there is room to just slide them down over the rear storage compartments.

Preparing for winter Winter10

Preparing for winter Winter11

Step Two:  Seal off the roll-up doors

This cargo box uses roll-up doors that might as well be an open window with the gaps along the rollers.  So, I decided to install panels inside the doors as well.  These are just set inside with 2 hold-down clips so I can remove them once at the job in a few seconds and set them in the spare compartment in the back.

Again, it is just R-5 panels, but it basically changes the compartments from being wide open to a small insulated box of 4x4x5 which should be easy to heat.  This will also solve one of my issues when driving to the job as this will eliminate all those door leaks.

Preparing for winter Winter13

Step Three:  Adding a portable heater

I have always used oil-filled radiator heaters in my van, but I wanted something that I could direct more towards the key areas that are most at risk to freezing temperatures.

I wandered through various stores and decided on a Stanley heater.  This thing is a 1500 watt ceramic heater with a pivoting head and it has a very solid feel to it.  Simple controls with thermostat and output selector as well as the standard safety features.  I think I am going to like this thing.

Preparing for winter Heater10

Next up will be installing an auxiliary heater like ACE and AC suggested.  When I dropped off my van's fender at the body shop, the owner came out to look at my box truck.  He made the same suggestion of installing a heater off of the truck's cooling system, but I told him that I didn't think running a coolant hose outside the truck was a good idea.

He rolled his eyes and told me that he wasn't talking about a rubber hose....he was talking about metal pipes.  All I would need to do is run metal piping back to the box and install a 12v auxiliary heater for when I am driving down the road.

I think between an aux heater and the insulation panels installed inside the roll-up doors, this truck just might work out after-all.  I would have to duct the heat to the key compartments, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.  I might have to go back and install the Little Giant on a pedestal to get it off the floor as well, but everything else is isolated from the floor which is the coldest part of the truck.

Kind of a positive day after-all. Wine
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Preparing for winter Empty Re: Preparing for winter

Post by dp1 Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:29 am

Wow, I wouldn't last a whole week down there in the winter if it involves that much work laughing
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Somebody has to live there. Glad it's not me.

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Other than the snowy Christmas time....it pretty much sucks.

How they ever did back in the frontier day I will never know. I think I would have moved to the coast after the first winter.

After-all, most species died out in the ice age, not the warm front. There is a lesson in their somewhere.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:37 pm

So far, the insulation panels are working perfectly.

It is 38 degrees outside right now and I have a oil-filled radiator heater in the compartment with the LG heater set at 50 degrees. When I checked the temperature gauge, it was 60 degrees in that compartment.

The TNT bay is twice the size and has a small ceramic heater in there....it was set 55 degrees, but has yet to kick on and the temperature remains near 50 degrees without the heater running.

That is about a 20 degree difference from the outside temperature without either heater kicking on yet....and may not tonight. I think I need to re-insulate my van as well with these panels.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:28 am

I know you are concerned about the propane deal. But on the nights that its really cold you could leave the pilot lite on in the LG just that would protect your coils. Think about it the LG is a big tank less hot water heater that heats up on demand so turn the control to pilot its like a candle under the coils. I have a 50 gal propane water heater here for 20 yrs with no problems.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:10 pm

That is an excellent point ACE, I will consider that.

I just got home from some tactical training and checked the truck again since I couldn't hear the heaters running from outside the box. It is already 36 degrees outside and 52 inside the box with no heater running yet.

I really am shocked by this.....maybe this double-walled aluminum box makes a good insulation after-all? Once the gaps in the doors were sealed off, it really seems to hold heat pretty well.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down