Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Terminix and Roto Rooter

4 posters

Go down

Terminix and Roto Rooter Empty Terminix and Roto Rooter

Post by Ryan S Tue May 08, 2018 2:33 pm

In the last 2 weeks I have inspected 2 job where these two clowns have done work. One was a mold job done in a crawlspace, the other was a water damage.

The Terminix folks did a great job with vapor barrier and installing a dehu. But just fogging the crawlspace doesnt actually do the job.

Roto Rooter, was at a pipe leak in the crawlspace and the told the guy they would have to remove the cabinets to dry it out. The floors didnt even read wet from the top. Beside that, why would you do all that demo and cause such a mess to reconstruct when you can dry from underneath.

One of the things about the industry that always has bothered me is how many talk about all th big bucks that can be made and then that hound these plumbers ect for leads and we wonder why we see them now taking the leads they once gave you. Which is another reason why I refuse to do referral programs with them. I will gladly pay them a fair thank you for the lead. But not as a motivator to send it to me. I feel the best programs are best build on relationships, not money.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Terminix and Roto Rooter Empty Re: Terminix and Roto Rooter

Post by milspec6 Tue May 08, 2018 4:46 pm

And that is why I walked away from that part of the industry a year ago. The companies making the big money are often the least ehtical and do full reconstruction of the spaces. Honest companies struggle in comparison. Flood work will always be around and always needed, but I think the insurance companies have ruined the service for all independents.

At least around here they certainly have.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Wed May 09, 2018 4:54 pm

I would disagree with the insurance part on one level.

There are some carriers that have caused some problems with their wheeling and dealing. The TPA (Third Party Affiliate) Programs have changed it for sure. But working for them they really drive the price down some, it just forces you to justify work estimating. Which isn't hard to do once you figure it out.

As for the Carrier themselves, they are close to the point of learning the lessons of trusting these so called Preferred Vendor Programs.

I would agree that to make it in the Restoration long term you would need to perform the recon as well. But, you have to be doing mold work, that brings you from one water loss to another. And sprinkle in a good fire damage with content cleaning helps with out a doubt.

Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed May 09, 2018 7:16 pm

That is very true, you have to be involved in the mold side as well which most insurance carrieres will not insure a business for unless a franchise. Despite doing it for more than a decade without complaint, I was turned down by 5 insurance carriers with only one agreeing to write it, but at a slaughter rate. I don't really blame them, the public and industry's understanding of mold is like a 3rd grader's understanding of geometry. All that is left is the fear that gets publicized by the news media with ignorant content.

I am glad that it is working well for you, but it was a dead end for me and many just like me due to lack of insurance coverage and the insurance practices regarding the performance of the job as well. It really is vastly different than it was 10-12 years ago.

I will suggest that one of the best employees you could add to the business is a retired insurance adjuster / agent who is well versed in Xactimate and just the ins / outs of the insurance industry. Those people are just sitting around waiting for someboy to be wise enough to hire them. Remember, the goal of every owner is to surround themselves by far smarter people, so the business prospers.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Thu May 10, 2018 7:27 am

You said it right for sure. People treat mold like it Ebola. Our first step when doing mold inspection is to reprogram their minds with some true facts on mold, and how we can help. That goes a long way to closing the job.

I do have one of those guys for estimating. I do most of our but, need him on some of the ones when I'm busy or want to make sure I get a solid estimate on a large scope.

BTW is there and app for viewing The Lounge on mobile? I can't get it to switch for desks top on the mobile.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu May 10, 2018 11:14 am

Many companies actually use that lack of knowledge to rape customers on the costs, you are actually a rare one from my experience. I always calmed down a customer by pointing out that one of the more harmful mold is what you find on a tomato. Most people have experience with that mold and don't go into a ebola-like reaction to it. Many will just cut off the bad area and still use the tomato. That gets their mind in the right place when dealing with the issue.

I can't help much on the mobile question....that is Mo's area.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat May 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Bob, check with Hanover insurance, they are very reasonable and most likely will be able to issue mold coverage.

Also if you are currently covered for mold, why aren’t you contacting some insurance companies and try to register as vendor ? I’m sure it’s not easy to compete with franchise companies but it’s worth a try, all it takes is one person that’s willing to talk to you to know that you’re well qualified to take on those jobs.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sat May 19, 2018 9:03 pm

What's up 911? There is a mobile hyperlink at the bottom of the page here's a link to it
Mobile Version
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat May 19, 2018 10:13 pm

dp1 wrote:Bob, check with Hanover insurance, they are very reasonable and most likely will be able to issue mold coverage.

Also if you are currently covered for mold, why aren’t you contacting some insurance companies and try to register as vendor ? I’m sure it’s not easy to compete with franchise companies but it’s worth a try, all it takes is one person that’s willing to talk to you to know that you’re well qualified to take on those jobs.

I left that part of the business 2 years ago. Around here, there is no market for it as most contractors just do full tear outs instead of removal. Unless you live in a part of the US where licensing is required, there will be no future. As much as I dislike government regulations, without a State license for mold contractors, there is not much hope in earning enough money to off-set the high insurance costs. I think those days are numbered for Radon contractors as well...the other service I dropped out of year 2 years ago. It still requires a license, but it is a more corrupt system than the old State mandated brake inspection stickers like Texas and New Orleans used to do.

No, just being a simple cleaner is a lot less hassle and much lower over-head.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down