Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Tile & Grout

+2
milspec6
Mo
6 posters

Go down

Tile & Grout Empty Tile & Grout

Post by Mo Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 pm

What percentage of you revenue is generated from Tile & Grout Cleaning. I would guestimate mine at 15-20%. Years ago I used to charge 1.25 just to clean now it's .75-1.00. What can I do increase my tile and grout cleaning revenue?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Tile & Grout Empty Re: Tile & Grout

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:17 pm

This year, my T&G is about 15%...rises to about 32% during the winter months.

The easiest way to raise your revenue is to lower cost if the market will not support your desired rate. Maybe that is a chemical change, or tool choice, or process change. To figure that out, we need to know what your method consists of first.

Could you make more money on that tile if you could clean it with just water, squegee, and shop vac for that same .75 - 1.00 for example? I think we all could. Hopefully, that day is coming.

In some markets, you might be able to sale some grout sealer as well. Most of the ones that I clean have no interest in applying a sealer...just can't seem to change their minds about it.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Raddon Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 pm

To raise your revenue in t&g ask everyone even those with the smallest of bathrooms. Tell people you do tile showers too. And/Or do a demo for anyone that will let you. That always sells it for me.

Ken Raddon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 am

Yes Yes and Yes, some great answers so far!!

Selling sealer?!?!..........it sells itself, if explained properly, I believe!......no offense meant, Robert.  wink 

90% of the T&G/Stone cleaning jobs I do I sell sealer, it's easy. And if you're using a good sealer ($75-100 a gallon), and applying it properly it really makes a HUGE difference in wither the grout/stone stays clean or not!!

Also, Like Ken said, offer a 'demo'/spot test. (or 'accidentally clean the first couple inches of that floor when you're cleaning the carpet, at the transition of course). lol...............or just simply mention you also do 'hard surface' cleaning, counter-tops, showers, fireplaces, brick or stone or even outdoor hard surfaces and that you will give them a FREE QUOTE!...........some of my biggest hard surface job totals have been outdoor jobs, pool decks, patios, porches and so on.....
It's no different than picking up on furniture cleaning, which we all do at least once a week right?~!?

The other thing with that, is simply mentioning I do T&G/stone/hard surface cleaning on my VM message, I get a couple jobs a month from that!  Smile 

I charge anywhere from $.65-2.00 sf for cleaning (excluding showers and fireplaces), but normally $1.00-1.25 sf (and about 20% less for sealing) depending on total square footage, type of surface and tile size...........tile size greatly determines how much grout you're cleaning and or sealing.

ABC= Always be closing...............OR I like to think......
ABS= Always be selling!!  wink ...............no need for it to be high pressure or even seem like you're selling if done correctly.  wink 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:59 am

I wish it was more successful for me as well, but most of my tile work comes on commercial jobs and they are the cheapest people I know. They just want the urine and ice melt residue removed, but couldn't care less about sealer.

I may have to sharpen my salesmanship?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:04 am

Something that I am seeing more these days are requests for cleaning concrete...especially store fronts and at apartment complexes. Don't ignore those areas as you already have the equipment and chems and managers do value those areas being cleaned.

Best part is that it is outside...easier on the body when using those 14 ph cleaners. Not so good during these winter temps., but I already have 8 jobs lined up for the spring. Think about the square foot pricing of a bathroom and now compare that to a store front or walkways at an apartment complex.....big difference in income. cheers 
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 pm

milspec6 wrote:I wish it was more successful for me as well, but most of my tile work comes on commercial jobs and they are the cheapest people I know.  They just want the urine and ice melt residue removed, but couldn't care less about sealer.

I may have to sharpen my salesmanship?

I can see your challenge with the commercial customers.  I mostly do residential, where sealer is probably and easier sell..........not to mention, some commercial, like Restaurants have Epoxy grout that doesn't benefit from sealing.

Although, I do have a couple commercial accounts that I do T&G cleaning for on a regular bases and seal after every cleaning.  And the good thing about selling sealer is it only needs to be 'sold' once.  Because it sells itself by showing it's benefits if you're correctly applying a good sealant, as I stated in my last post.

But yea, you are going to have those customers that just won't buy............but that's where I explain how it will prolong the need for regular professional cleanings, and intern pay for itself, and the benefit also being they have a floor that stays nice looking in between cleanings, and that's all you can really do..  wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:33 am

exactly 4.3% of last year. I will say that is slightly miss represented by other services that we provide that do not deal with carpet cleaning. So to relate to this topic I would say I'm in the 10% percentile.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:34 am

It as simple as just asking for the biz isn't it fellas.

I don't do shower stall though. With the hard water that we have here in AZ you're gong to need a chisel to clean those and if I have to use a respirator it's definitely n0t for me.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:28 pm

I didn't realize the water was that hard in Arizona...it is pure gravel in my area as well. That works for you though too as carrying a softener on-board makes you stand out and you have an easy up-sell for yourself just waiting for you....check the back of every refrigerator you come across while cleaning.

Most fridges are installed using a cheap plastic hose connecting water to the ice maker or in-door dispenser. The combiantion of trapped heat, vibrations, and hard water will cause them to crack and leak slowly. The owner will never know it until the water stains show up on the ceiling in the basement. By that time, it is time for new cabinets, flooring, and maybe even a sub-floor. So, tell your customer about it and offer to slide the fridge out to look....I will bet that it will be leaking 60% of the time if they are older than 3 years. You become the super hero!

As for the shower stalls...I agree, I don't care to clean those either. I will do the base, but not the walls.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:19 pm

These tools are outrageous too. $300 bills for a hand tool.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:05 pm

U will be surprised at the ad ons and the money u can make with the hand spinner. 2 hours with the hand tool and it's paid off. The tools is so fun to me!
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:15 pm

I hate the high prices for some tools as well, but I remember working in the family shop when the Snap-on truck came by. Try paying a $100 for a wrench or $4500 for a small scan tool...it is bad in every industry.

Like was said, if that buy makes you money, it becomes a bargain pretty quick. To me, if it is durable enough to last for years, they are worth the money. I still have those custom wrenches and they will probably be around for another 100 years...that's a buck per year, a bargain.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down