Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

TM Upgrade/Rebuild

+15
ACpower1
gtech12v
Pro Touch
SixShooter
dp1
( miller ) gerry
ej54
Joe Bristor
Mo
ACE Services
milspec6
Ryan S
Fuzzsucker
Larry Henson
Davey Cracker
19 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

TM Upgrade/Rebuild Empty TM Upgrade/Rebuild

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:17 am

With a seriously aging TM, it's time to get to work!........it's actually been time for awhile.  My machine is an "Eagle 36" which is almost an exact copy of a Steam Genie, both manufactured here in So. CA. And both now out of business!  laughing 

I bought it new in '93, and now with a lil over 9400 hrs on the clock it's time for some serious work!  study 

TM Upgrade/Rebuild Img_4411

Some history.......I've replaced the LG heater once (several years ago), and just upgraded the pump from a Hypro to a Cat. The blower is a Roots 36, and still working great and original.  The engine an Onan 20HP, and has been amazing in the fact it's last this long. It's still running fairly well but I can't expect that for much longer, and so that's what's prompted this upgrade, replacing the engine.

But now it's turned into what ill turn out to be a major refurb.  laughing .......beats spending 20k on new TM, since I have the ability to rebuild this one and likely to cost 2k or so.  rabbit 

I would have preferred to replace the engine with a new Onan, which would have been a quick and easy job. But they no longer produce new Onan's. So I decided to upgraded to a new Kohler CH730 Command Pro 25HP, which I bought a little over a month ago.  But just last weekend was finally to get started with this project with things slowing down a bit.

I finally took the Onan out of the frame last weekend and was able to test fit the Kohler, to start figuring out what need to be done to make the new engine fit.  The first thing I noticed was the crank/output shaft was way too long........so it needed to be cut off 2" on this new $1600 engine!!  affraid 

Luckily I have a good friend who is co-owner of a local sewer lining reconstruction biz, and since they are basically the pioneers in this field they have had to build almost all their own equipment to do jobs, and have have a full machine shop....so I have access to this.  sunny

OK, so enuf talking/typing for now lets get on with it!!!  dancing 

Yesterday I cut 2" off the crank shaft.

TM Upgrade/Rebuild Img_4410

Last edited by Davey Cracker on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

TM Upgrade/Rebuild Empty Re: TM Upgrade/Rebuild

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:58 am

OK, so today, my friend Gary and I made this spacer plate to compensate for the Kohler having a 1/2" lower shaft height than the Onan..........came out nice except for my error in measuring resulting in the 2 oblonged holes.  lol! 

TM Upgrade/Rebuild Img_4412

Sitting on the frame......
TM Upgrade/Rebuild Img_4413

While he was milling the spacer place I made this aluminum exhaust heat shield to protect the water box from muffler heat.

And also, we welded a 90 deg. on the muffler to connect to exhaust pipe exiting van...

TM Upgrade/Rebuild Img_4415

TM Upgrade/Rebuild Img_4416

Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:18 am

Tomorrow which is now today lol, I will start installing the new Kohler to be back to work on Monday hopefully.

I'm also planning several other upgrades as part of this deal too.......including running Exhaust threw van floor to secondary muffler to quiet it down, several other little things, and eventually complete removal of the TM to have frame sand blasted & 'Line-X' coated, but not until all other work is complete.

I have also bought a new Tiny Tach Commercial ver. which besides is the usually hr meter/RPM gauge, has 2 built in service timers, a job timer, and max RPM recall.

TM Upgrade/Rebuild Img_4417

I'll also be installing this remote on/off system for the pump clutch. Which will be handy to shut off pump when from inside the job when I'll have some time when it'll not be in use to keep from over heating.  rabbit 

TM Upgrade/Rebuild Img_4418

Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Henson Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 am

Looking good Davey. Do you have any plans to upgrade the #36 blower to a #45 since you bought a larger engine?
Larry Henson
Larry Henson
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.absolutelykleener.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Yes and no, Larry.  

Yes eventually I'd like to go with a 45 and is the main reason I went with more HP.
And no because that's going to be down the road when I come across a good deal on one, and isn't part of the planned work I'm doing now.  wink

Last edited by Davey Cracker on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzsucker Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Looks great man. That's the way to do it just keep putting in new components.
Fuzzsucker
Fuzzsucker
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://thepremierclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Looks good Davey. I admire you guys that do this stuff. I on the other hand look to replace. I'd like to pick that TNT in the classified up to replace my 421. That's more my speed on rebuilds. Lol

Good work. I'm sure you get to learn a lot while doing it. Have fun. Got the chk btw. Thanks.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks guys, I was beginning to think no one had any interest in this type of thing.  scratch 

It's too much work to document and post if there's no interest, so I wonder if I should continue to take pics and post as I go threw the process?

Would you like to see/read about it as I go along?

Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Ryan S wrote:Looks good Davey. I admire you guys that do this stuff

Ryan, part of having the confidence and know-how to do this type of thing comes from seeing others do and reading about it.....I'm thinking that's what got Mo going on his project, but I could be wrong??  wink 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Love to see refurbs...best bang for your money every time. My Butler is over 9k hours and it might see a few upgrades soon....the only question will be if it will be my choice or not.

keep the updates coming...
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Davey Cracker wrote:
Ryan S wrote:Looks good Davey. I admire you guys that do this stuff

Ryan, part of having the confidence and know-how to do this type of thing comes from seeing others do and reading about it.....I'm thinking that's what got Mo going on his project, but I could be wrong??  wink 

You just answered your question.  dancing 
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Henson Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:20 pm

Davey Cracker wrote:Thanks guys, I was beginning to think no one had any interest in this type of thing.  scratch 

It's too much work to document and post if there's no interest, so I wonder if I should continue to take pics and post as I go threw the process?

Would you like to see/read about it as I go along?

Always like to see someone undertake this Davey. I have 2 Prochem machines torn apart to make one and all I can say at the moment is that these are over complicated machines. I'm going to have to cut, weld and refabricate. Too many sensors and unnecessary BS on the machine and not to mention when you have to work on it there is no room. Buy a Judson and be done with it.
Larry Henson
Larry Henson
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:24 pm

Judson has a project blue book ever watched the videos? YouTube username vacuum123
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Henson Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:43 pm

No I haven't seen it Ryan but always have been an admirer of the Judson system. Simple yet effective.
Larry Henson
Larry Henson
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:20 pm

Les turns those complicated HX sensor and wire filled designs to a simple stripped down LP engine, blower, and pump system. Pretty interesting. I believe it's three part. Great deliverers.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:29 pm

I like the pic/post keep them coming. It's fun to watch someone else doing the out of the box engineering. Remember K.I.S.S.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:37 am

Are you kidding me Dave. Please document the process it will help so many people that are contemplating doing their own rebuild. And bye the way that machine has been good to you.

I really like that remote shut off for the pump clutch
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:28 pm

Sorry I've been MIA without updates, but I have a good reason.  laughing ..............

After pulling out my my old engine out of my TM Friday I had plans of having new engine installed and running by Sunday night, things didn't go according to plan and after an almost unproductive weekend due to an unexpected visit by my daughter, I was still without an engine Sunday night. I figured no biggie, I can get this done Monday being I had no work.......

So I get started Monday morning, and it's one unexpected problem and thing to due one after another all day long. Late afternoon I get a call for a Flood/water loss job, and tell the customer "I'll be over about noon tomorrow (Tuesday)". So now I've got some real motivation, a flood job and and engine-less TM, makes it hard to extract water!!  laughing 

It gets dark, I'm finally ready to set engine on the frame and mark and drill the new motor mount holes so I can actually drill and bolt it down, but It's still one thing after another, Midnight, 1am, 2am, 3. Finally 4am and I'm finally ready to fire it up for the first time, oh the neighbors are going to love this!!.......their bed room windows are about 10-12 feet literally from my driveway where my van is sitting. It starts up in about 3-4 seconds of cranking, WOOOOOHOOOO. I can work in the morning, but wait it's already morning, 4:30am! haha Then I remember I still haven't wired up the gauges or pump clutch, then I remember it's just a flood and I really don't need the pump, I just need to extract for now, and who needs gauges.  :geek: 

I finally get to sleep I think about 6am, I"m awaken by the customer blowing up my phone about 10am, so I start cleaning out all the tools from van and loading up drying equip. I get there just before noon, and the left key under mat won't open the door, wrong key!!  affraid  I call the owner of the building, no answer, left VM, over an over an over, 2pm she finally calls back and heading over with working Key!  cheers As sucky as the waiting seemed, it gave me the chance to hook up the throttle and choke cable and a couple other little things while I waited around. Worked dragging A$$ till 7pm, and finally called it quits without being finished today, I'll go back tomorrow afternoon to finish Emergency Service.

Ok well I guess I better get some sleep, I kinda tired at this point.  Suspect 

I'll update this thread asap with some pics and install info.............
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:05 am

Ok so I'm still alive, barley!!  dancing 

After spending the last couple days working my A$$ off on a flood loss/dry out job I finally got my pump/electrical wired to new Kohler engine and did my 1st cleaning job today.......the last couple days just extraction.

This thread update stuff has not quiet worked out the way I thought it would due to being so busy and it taking much longer to get it running than I thought.

But here's a few pics I took over the last few days...........

New hour gauge installed......starting the clock at 0 for new engine. .
TM Upgrade/Rebuild Photo_58

Wiring mess, trying to clean up and remove old wiring to make room for the new..
TM Upgrade/Rebuild Photo_60

Finally installed a grease drain system and should be the last time I have to clean up that blower grease poop!  I had an idea to do this a long time ago, and recently saw it on another forum, and finally did it. It's simple, remove 1/8' pipe thread grease drain fittings, and replace with 1/8" barbed fittings so you can connect tubing and run into catch container of your choice.....no more greasy mess!! wink 
TM Upgrade/Rebuild Photo_61
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:17 am

Installed 18" engine oil drain hose, so make oil changes easy..
TM Upgrade/Rebuild Photo_62

New control cables installed......twist lock for throttle.
TM Upgrade/Rebuild Photo_63

Almost ready to install, Rust will be dealt with after all is up and running well, with a complete disassemble to powder coat and Line-X....
TM Upgrade/Rebuild Photo_64

Installed.
TM Upgrade/Rebuild Photo_65

TM Upgrade/Rebuild Photo_66
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by milspec6 Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:03 pm

Nice work cheers 
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Looking good
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by ej54 Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:15 pm

Looks like you have been working hard and need a holiday!
ej54
ej54
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.revolutioncleaning.net.au/

Back to top Go down

Post by ( miller ) gerry Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:25 am

I also admire you guys that can do this type of thing. Impressive. Keep the updates coming. Thank you.

( miller ) gerry
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.gemscarpetcleaningplus.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next