Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

What a slap in the face

+9
carpetdaddy
tom676
Davey Cracker
Matt; My carpet cleaner
milspec6
Mo
ACpower1
Cjcann
ODIN
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

What a slap in the face Empty Re: What a slap in the face

Post by Cjcann Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:48 pm

I would call the account and tell them what has transpired. Let them know that they have done is negotiated a cheap price so the company they have hired can cut corners take their cut and sub contract the work out, lesser quality, more hassles. All they have done is hire a middle man and lowered the service they will receive. If he doesn't call them and let them know Cintas/Cleanway wins. If they choose not to hire him back it's their loss. Pisses me off- they are parasites with a fancy sales pitch. F Them.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.njserviceone.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:54 pm

ya I would like to think all it would take is a call to the account manager and tell them exactly what happened.

I have a portable friend that has been cleaning carpet since before truck mounts really existed, he only does work that cannot be done with a TM but man he gets crapped on by this national company that sends him sub contracted work... wonder if its cleanway?
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:56 pm

No shame
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:58 pm

"Middleman Management" is what it should be called.

Just another example of the devision between a corporate mentallity and a human mentallity. One is about the profit, the other about the service.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:01 pm

He should call the main office of the chain get hold of the ceo and let him know. Can't hurt. Make waves, big waves.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:18 pm

ODIN wrote:I get called by cleanway a few times a year it's always about a store in the mall. They want me to go look at it and give them a quote.

I asked the lady on the phone you already have a set price so why do I need a quote, she said your bid might be less than the set price.

So i asked her what store is it and what is the sq footage she gave me their set price for it I just started to laugh so hard he hung up on me.

I get that from the flood repair guys out there. They are billing according to Exactimate, but they want me to work for half without any minumum charges for just cleaning a single room. Just doesn't work that way.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:52 pm

When I first started I did a jewelry store at the mall and I never got paid. It was a great lesson
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:02 pm

cheers 
ODIN wrote:it gets better with clean way

not only do you get to clean at cheap rate but they want you to have top rate insurance with millions in liability $$$$$

That doesn't seem very fair, but I have to carry a 2m policy due to the commercial work that I do now...just part of the show. In fact, I am even insured against a terrorist attack!! You know, if there are a group of bad guys out there in a cave trying to target me and my van...forget it, I am covered. What can I say, it was like 12 bucks a year, it was worth it just to tell it to those customers that ask if I am well insured.

Jumbo jet crashes into the rug shop....covered.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:07 pm

ODIN wrote:I get called by cleanway a few times a year it's always about a store in the mall. They want me to go look at it and give them a quote.

I asked the lady on the phone you already have a set price so why do I need a quote, she said your bid might be less than the set price.

So i asked her what store is it and what is the sq footage she gave me their set price for it I just started to laugh so hard he hung up on me.
That exact thing happen to me yesterday. Mall store, wet mop 4000sf for $150. I told her, "sorry, I'm worth more than that". Click.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:43 pm

milspec6 wrote: cheers 
ODIN wrote:it gets better with clean way

not only do you get to clean at cheap rate but they want you to have top rate insurance with millions in liability $$$$$

That doesn't seem very fair, but I have to carry a 2m policy due to the commercial work that I do now...just part of the show.  In fact, I am even insured against a terrorist attack!!  You know, if there are a group of bad guys out there in a cave trying to target me and my van...forget it, I am covered.  What can I say, it was like 12 bucks a year, it was worth it just to tell it to those customers that ask if I am well insured.  

Jumbo jet crashes into the rug shop....covered.

I'm with ya brotha!.............it pays to be insured, well, someday it will.  laughing  And in the mean time, no prob getting those commercial jobs, that require it.  cheers 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tom676 Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:18 am

I had a local Nuclear Waste company carpet account  100,000 SF per year spread out 2 nights per week, I bid 22 cents and won the bid next year comes I bid the same and some company bids 10 cents they were 1 hour away. Following week they call and ask me to do it for them at 5 cents. I laughed and said your going to lose money at 10 cents. They lasted 3 months.

tom676

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:03 pm

I was doing the local Applebees for years. Very high volume beach store during the Summer. $300 for two and half hours of deep grease removal every week at 5:00am from May - September than monthly the rest of the year. They got bought by a large franchise and went to a once a month schedule starting at midnight, with another company who charged $175. When they called me back the following year after they got new carpets, I did it a couple of times and then told them they would need to find someone else. Because of the frequency and the traffic it was taking four to five hours - starting at midnight - for 40% less.  :thumbs down: 
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.CarpetDaddys.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:17 pm

ya commercial can be good, but man I hear all the time about just cut rate super competitive work. Sometimes just doesnt seem worth it.

Someone out there will do it cheaper and find a way with pure paint thinner or something
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Joe Bristor wrote:Another classic case of OO vs BNC.
As a supplier, I only serve OOs.
I haven't sold to a franchise in years.
there are some BNCs who are also OO but they're rare. I will serve this  type of BNC as much as I can; but not the classic BNC for sure.

To my knowledge, the only suppliers who sell to franchises are the retail box store types, Big Name Suppliers, 'BNS' if you will.
Boycott BNSs and there will be no BNCs.
OOs will get to pick & choose who they work for and of course they will draw top pay for their stellar service.
This is not just a dream of mine is it?????????????

I don't think so. I'm with ya! Even if it is a dream, the ones that experience it live in a fresh reality.  coctail 
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:51 pm

ACpower1 wrote:ya commercial can be good,  but man I hear all the time about just cut rate super competitive work.    Sometimes just doesnt seem worth it.

Someone out there will do it cheaper and find a way with pure paint thinner or something

About 90% of my work is commercial and the secret is that you can't go head to head on price. If the only thing that really seperates one company from the other is price, then the lowest one wins every time. You have to offer something that the other guys do not and I am not talking about what kind of machine you use or the wands or even the chemistry. To a commercial client, they don't care and rarely understand the difference between those things.

What you have to do is set yourself apart by making the personal connection...just as you need to do on residentials. Time and time again, I see cleaners bid on commercials like a robot, pretending to be some company giant like General Electric instead of just being themselves.

I don't just get my contracts, I make sure that I keep them by becoming more of a co-worker than a contractor. Take the time to connect! If you can't tell me about your client (first and last name, hobbies, any kids, etc.) then I can easily take your contract. People want to work with people that they like, not just who is the cheapest. I have one that prides himself on being a "semi-professional break dancer" which I nearly spit up my soda trying not to laugh at first, but I took the time while the waste tank was draining to share a coffee with this guy as he told me about his recent competition. A little odd, but we become more of a co-worker at that point instead of just another contractor. He know brings me the coffee when the tank is draining and talks about all the workplace drama from the week, just like we worked for the same place....which we do.

Sure, they could drop me and hire someone cheaper to save some money, but they would be firing a co-worker that they like which is much harder to do than some lifeless company that sends them invoices with a "thank you, we appreciate your business" under the heading. Be yourself more and the corporation / business less and you will get and hold your commercial accounts.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by SixShooter Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:00 pm

milspec6 wrote:
ACpower1 wrote:ya commercial can be good,  but man I hear all the time about just cut rate super competitive work.    Sometimes just doesnt seem worth it.

About 90% of my work is commercial and the secret is that you can't go head to head on price.  If the only thing that really seperates one company from the other is price, then the lowest one wins every time.  You have to offer something that the other guys do not and I am not talking about what kind of machine you use or the wands or even the chemistry.  To a commercial client, they don't care and rarely understand the difference between those things.

What you have to do is set yourself apart by making the personal connection...just as you need to do on residentials.  Time and time again, I see cleaners bid on commercials like a robot, pretending to be some company giant like General Electric instead of just being themselves.

I don't just get my contracts, I make sure that I keep them by becoming more of a co-worker than a contractor.  Take the time to connect!  If you can't tell me about your client (first and last name, hobbies, any kids, etc.) then I can easily take your contract.  People want to work with people that they like, not just who is the cheapest.  I have one that prides himself on being a "semi-professional break dancer" which I nearly spit up my soda trying not to laugh at first, but I took the time while the waste tank was draining to share a coffee with this guy as he told me about his recent competition.  A little odd, but we become more of a co-worker at that point instead of just another contractor.  He know brings me the coffee when the tank is draining and talks about all the workplace drama from the week, just like we worked for the same place....which we do.

Sure, they could drop me and hire someone cheaper to save some money, but they would be firing a co-worker that they like which is much harder to do than some lifeless company that sends them invoices with a "thank you, we appreciate your business" under the heading.  Be yourself more and the corporation / business less and you will get and hold your commercial accounts.

Well Said.

I attended a meeting at BIOLA university this past monday night and the speaker was Dan Caffey of Chik-Fila' (the Caffey family owns Chik-Fila').

In a nut shell that company was built on and continues to grow by making that personal connection.

They open at least 80 stores a year. As he spoke about the plans for the company I noticed there wasn't one mention of the competition. It was almost like they operate in a vacuum. Just them and their customers.

I was convicted. I am not on the truck anymore but I'm not sure I have emphasized enough to my guys about making that personal connection.

Thanks for the reminder.

Twice in one week. I think somebody is trying to tell me something
SixShooter
SixShooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:07 am

Well there it is. the most important thing you could learn from this or any other forum. BUILD RELATIONSHIPS. The 5 minutes you spend with your customer/client as they are cutting the check are the 5 most important minutes of you business day. Millspec is a genius. Thank you for putting into words what I do naturally but failed to realize how very very important it is. Realize this: you are in their homes, in their bedroom, in their kids rooms, in their corporate offices. By building relationships you are building trust. The cornerstone of success. Spend that extra 5 minutes. Listen, listen, listen, observe, observe, observe. Example from the other day: "Is that a Datsun 240Z in the garage? I used to have one, I miss that car so much...................." Talked for 10 minutes about adjusting the air intake on dual SU carbs. I attended a local viewing of a live Ted Talks topic a couple of weeks ago. A speaker was talking about how to accomplish a lot during a public policy meeting. "Spend the 1st half of the meeting socializing she said, you will accomplish more in the last half than you would if you did not, you have built trust and relationships". It's not about the method, price or results of you cleaning, it's about you and the way you relate to your clients. Millspec is a Jedi of carpet cleaning, we are just Padawans....
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SixShooter Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:46 am

eldiabloz wrote:Well there it is. the most important thing you could learn from this or any other forum. BUILD RELATIONSHIPS. The 5 minutes you spend with your customer/client as they are cutting the check are the 5 most important minutes of you business day. Millspec is a genius. Thank you for putting into words what I do naturally but failed to realize how very very important it is. Realize this: you are in their homes, in their bedroom, in their kids rooms, in their corporate offices. By building relationships you are building trust. The cornerstone of success. Spend that extra 5 minutes. Listen, listen, listen, observe, observe, observe. Example from the other day: "Is that a Datsun 240Z in the garage? I used to have one, I miss that car so much...................." Talked for 10 minutes about adjusting the air intake on dual SU carbs. I attended a local viewing of a live Ted Talks topic a couple of weeks ago. A speaker was talking about how to accomplish a lot during  a public policy meeting. "Spend the 1st half of the meeting socializing she said, you will accomplish more in the last half than you would if you did not, you have built trust and relationships". It's not about the method, price or results of you cleaning, it's about you and the way you relate to your clients. Millspec is a Jedi of carpet cleaning, we are just Padawans....

Doubly hard for those of us sending employees into the field to do the work for us.
SixShooter
SixShooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:53 am

Then you have to make absolutely sure that whomever is answering your phones is engaging, kind and personable. Then you might wan't to have a mini seminar of your own design to inform your employees how important this is. If you are giving in home estimates- that is your chance. Follow up phone calls- that is another chance. It is harder but doable.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next