Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Anyone have a favorite heat exchanger unit?

+3
dp1
milspec6
Ken Raddon
7 posters

Go down

Anyone have a favorite heat exchanger unit? Empty Anyone have a favorite heat exchanger unit?

Post by Ken Raddon Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Since I just read that propane is going up to $5 a gallon and I am getting close to buying a new tm (next year or two unless I find a deal I cannot pass up sooner than that) I would really like to get a heat exchange unit. Can you tell me/us about why you prefer or dislike HE units?

Ken Raddon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a favorite heat exchanger unit? Empty Re: Anyone have a favorite heat exchanger unit?

Post by milspec6 Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:23 pm

I can't speak about any of the Hx out there except the Butler units that I have been running since '99. That being said, some points.

Pro:
+ Very little maint.
+ Never run out of fuel
+ Take up less space
+ No risk of fire or pilot blowing out
+ Make decent heat as long as flow is maintained

Neg:
- Can develop leaks into the vehicle of coolant
- Only get as hot as the engine can provide...210-220.
- Can lead to air pockets in cooling systems on engine coolant designs

Personally, the knock against Hx (especially the Butler) has been the lack of heat. I certainly admit to wanting more in the winter, but the rest of the year, I maintain 210 at the machine and with good flow practices, keep it at 180 atw out to 200 feet. IF you can't clean with that, there is a problem.

Where the winter becomes a problem are 2 things:

1. If you don't drive far enough for the engine to get up to full temperature, your heat will not be there. I had a store that I cleaned less than 2 blocks from my storage building and I had to take a 15 minute drive first to get things warmed up before I could clean.

2. Water in the lines cool down very quickly when the flow is stopped and it takes a few seconds to restore the heat if you don't use a bypass valve or some other method of maintaining flow.

I personally prefer the Hx units, but winter heat is the downside for many systems. If you prefer to clean at higher temps than 180-190 atw, then you will be disappointed.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a favorite heat exchanger unit? Empty Re: Anyone have a favorite heat exchanger unit?

Post by dp1 Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:29 pm

I've only used 3 Hx machines, fox, hydra master and prochem, fox is like Rob described, 180 - 190 degrees, but hydra master and prochem gets hotter, the only hydra master I used was boxer 421 which Ryan has, I don't know much about how the Hx system works but if you set to high, it gets to 210 - 220 at the machine, I hope Ryan will confirm this since it's been a while since I used that.
Prochem I've used are performers and everests, they are all water cooled and they used pre heater Hx which used the engine coolant to heat some of the water and then there's the final exhaust Hx, that's why they get hotter water and maintain better heat than the air cooled Hx ( aside from having a bigger engine also ).
Personally, I've never had those issues Rob mentioned, my issues with my machines are usually non Hx related, such as sensors, wiring, hoses, etc.
Well I've had one issue with one of my everest, it kept bogging down and it turned out my Hx got a lot of gunks and grease deposits, after the cleaning it's running good again.
The key is to keep your hx clean, make sure your overflow shut off sensor is working so that your tank don't overflow into it and keep the water flowing so that the water don't get too hot in your machine, of course there's always bypass but high temperatures can Crack fittings and such over time.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rod S Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:59 am

I have run a Boxxer 421 for over seven years with no HX problems so far easily heats 230 to 235 at the truck . I do run soft water all the time in the truck, which I think helps. I just bought a CDS 4.8 with Salsa. This unit heats to 235 at the truck. I have been happy with Hydramasters HX.
Rod S
Rod S

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzsucker Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:18 pm

What kind of unit are u currently running ken? You might be able to add some preheater to the system, to save on fuel, or build a hx.
Fuzzsucker
Fuzzsucker
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://thepremierclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:02 pm

actually most carpet cleaning van fires are from HX units,   not propane.    

gasoline is far more combustible,   propane only burns as a gas not as a liquid.

I havent heard anything from my supplier about the price going up,  other than the usual increase in winter time due to demand.

Were cleaning more efficient and faster then ever running higher temps and putting the rv360 down for now...    the difference in cleaning speed from 180/190 and 220+ atw is huge,     long fast single passes wiping it completely clean with 1 stroke,    then faster dry passes carpet drys in like 2 hrs max
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Raddon Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:01 pm

I run a Steamway Powermatic 2100. I am pretty convinced I don't ever need the heat my fire breather can produce. I set the temp at the machine at 200°. But I'd like to not have to buy $75 worth of kerosene every other month and more often.

Ken Raddon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:24 pm

The key temp is atw, it is very important to know that number. I agree with others that more heat atw can make a big difference, but are you getting that?

I get 200 - 205 degrees at the machine (decent enough heat), but will not be anything close to that atw where it normally drops to about 180 degrees on this old Butler unit.

I still contend that I don't have any problem cleaning at those temps., but there are times when more heat would make me happy. The newer Butler units do get hotter and should run about 200 atw...just something to think about.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down