Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Engine upgrade on Judson TNT

+2
Pro Touch
milspec6
6 posters

Go down

Engine upgrade on Judson TNT Empty Engine upgrade on Judson TNT

Post by milspec6 Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:07 pm

After musing over the information in Davey's tm restoration, I am seriously thinking about ditching my factory 20 hp Kohler for a 27 horse on my tnt so that I can take advantage of a kunkle valve. Basically, I am looking to turn the tnt into a simplified El Diablo with the benefits of both machines.

They both use the 45 blower, but that El Diablo really holds excellent vacuum power thanks to the kunkle valve, but I prefer the ease of maint. of the tnt. It has been noted on this board that to spin the 45 into the 15 hg range takes most of the motor's power (18.5 hp) and will bog down on cgd carpets.

My business is heavily biased towards commercial, so it looks like the kunkle is not an option with the smaller 20 hp engine. I am thinking therefore of going to the same 27 hp that is found on the El Diablo to get my blower to work towards its full potential.

I see that Les had a "Super TNT" at the recent ICE expo running a 27 hp engine, but I wonder if this would be a direct bolt-in replacement or would the alignment be off with the blower? Anyone go to ICE and see this tnt up close?

My 20 hp engine only has 400 hours on it, so I could probably recover at least half of the upgrade cost, but I don't want to run into alignment issues down the road. After-all, the best part of this machine is the inherent reliability and I don't want to screw that up in the process.

El Diablo is a good machine and has pretty decent access to the components, but trouble-shooting and getting parts for the heater isn't so great. I also don't care for the weak tanks. By upgrading the tnt to a 27 hp with kunkle valve, I should have the best of what the El Diablo offers with all the benefits of what the tnt offers.

At least, I hope it works in that fashion.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Engine upgrade on Judson TNT Empty Re: Engine upgrade on Judson TNT

Post by Pro Touch Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Why don't you try your TNT first. I have a TNT with an 18hp Briggs and 45 blower and it performs great. I have not experienced any issues with it bogging down and my relief pops open around 18-19hg. This is where it was factory set. We can get into a whole other discussion about relief settings, but I think Les knows his stuff, so I don't monkey with it. The point being is that even at those settings it doesn't bog down. Just try it, you might like it and save yourself some time and money.
Pro Touch
Pro Touch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks for the kick in the pants Pro Touch, I was starting to calm down over it driving home today. I should give it a shot first.

I think part of my concern was that my step valve was missing when I received the mount and had to mod one from the local hardware store, but I still don't think it pulls correctly. The idea of having a factory set valve at the ready appealed to me, especially if it can improve the vacuum.

Once I get it into the truck, I will have to talk Les into a chat about all this stuff. I guess I am just so anxious for Spring and being able to finish this project that has been staring at me since October....driving me crazy. Shocked
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:03 pm

My TNT doesn't bogg down either the foot valve is set at 16 HG. Pick up a foot valve at Tractor Supply if the one you have doesn't work. But Im sure theres a good reason the new TNT dont come with the old 18 HP briggs
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:54 pm

Mo wrote:My TNT doesn't bogg down either the foot valve is set at 16 HG. Pick up a foot valve at Tractor Supply if the one you have doesn't work. But Im sure theres a good reason the new TNT dont come with the old 18 HP briggs

Did you modify the foot valve or is it off the shelf at 16 HG?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:19 pm

It's the one that came with the machine it the same one at the tractor supply store double check the ID

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/water-source-1-1-2-in-brass-foot-valve
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:46 pm

I picked up a couple of them actually, but was never really happy with changing out the springs and trying to dial them in for the right setting. The closest I got was about 13 Hg and even then it was a little sporadic.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:07 pm

Seems weird..

I bought one, and found a much heavier spring at ACE, cut it to length, and then used my TM vac gauge to adjust the tension until it would only pull 15" max shown on gauge with the hose 100% blocked off. It was easy, and has been reliable, and hasn't changed in the almost a year since I set it. I check it once in awhile to make sure and it's always been spot on.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:12 pm

BTW your eng upgrade sounds interesting, Rob.

But like others have said, I'd prob run it first with what you have before you upgrade it......test it, and see how it performs, then make a decision.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by gtech12v Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:46 pm

engine upgrade is probably the best thing you can do for this truckmount a 27hp engine is what a 45 needs to perform best
you can use a smaller angine but is not the same El Diablo use a 24hp before and switched to a 27hp
I have a 47 roots blower and a 31hp EFI water cooled engine remember you are not spinning just the blower the pump can take up to 4hp to perform

Engine upgrade on Judson TNT 9CAEF957-8144-4425-9875-F608FDA09DD9_zpsqnyqums7
Engine upgrade on Judson TNT 19BD3E02-5FAC-47D4-B9EA-21B49B8DAD73_zpsjw038m8y
Engine upgrade on Judson TNT A9CA5319-0E69-4504-B5A8-467AB0949BFF_zpsqv6wudcb

gtech12v
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks gtech.....I was hoping someone had a photo.

I think I will be torn on this issue for awhile, but I better get the dang thing in the truck first then go from there.

I can see a bigger motor upgrade coming in the near future though, just maybe not right away.

On a design note, it is odd to see that the exhausts were combined on this design. When I was shopping for silencers, the vendors all told me that you shouldn't combine the 2 exhausts as the heat and pulses would just cause greater noise volumes....yet here it is and I do trust Les and his engineering a great deal. Not sure what to believe any more.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:56 pm

milspec6 wrote:
On a design note, it is odd to see that the exhausts were combined on this design.  When I was shopping for silencers, the vendors all told me that you shouldn't combine the 2 exhausts as the heat and pulses would just cause greater noise volumes....yet here it is and I do trust Les and his engineering a great deal.  Not sure what to believe any more.

He has done that on his more recent models Probably not a factor because its tapped in after the muffler, but it would be interesting to see what it would do if you were to tap in before the muffler and after blower.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by gtech12v Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:55 pm

the key is like Moe pointed tapped after the muffler
but many truckmounts have it this way
it can actually help with the exhaust by creating a venturi air output
as for noise as long as people keep using car mufflers and silencers for the blowers they going to fail

gtech12v
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:36 pm

our TNT runs on a 25hp and never bogs down,   commercial carpet or any residential.    You can cover the end of the hose with your hand at over 200ft and it doesnt bog down.    

reaches 15hg within a few seconds of covering the end of the vac hose

I wouldnt bother switching out an engine that only has 400hrs  for a few extra HP,    sounds like a waste of money to me

If you can clean well at 250ft why spend lots of money to get more power thats just going to be wasted in an open vac relief valve, unless most all of your cleanings are well over 300ft of hose....

but what type of carpet are you most always cleaning at over 300ft of hose? commercial. anyone here ever had trouble with dry times on CGD? Stuff drys in like an hour without even doing dry passes

Im sure your TNT runs great on a 20hp, they were built with 18hp engines for like 15+ years I believe maybe 20 years
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:01 pm

I really appreciate all the excellent advice.

I was on a job today with the El Diablo and realized that it also runs the generator off that motor, so it needs greater ponies than my tnt. I just didn't think about that point.

Most of the time I'm at about 300 feet, sometimes out 400, but I could move the van mid-cleaning to another entrance to keep things under 250 if needed. I guess this isn't really a big deal and like you point out, cgd will dry pretty quickly.

I just rebuilt the pressure release with a spring out of a brake repair kit that I had laying around....can't be a stronger spring out there than that...and will see what I get tomorrow. I may have just been working with a weak spring.

I will set it at 15 Hg and then test it on some carpet samples and see just what happens. It will not be at 300 feet, but it should answer some concerns.

What I really need is Spring!! It is dropping down to -9 again tonight, really getting sick of it. Sad
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by gtech12v Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:52 pm

What size of engine is on your TNT milspec6 and how many hours

gtech12v
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:08 pm

gtech12v wrote:What size of engine is on your TNT milspec6 and how many hours

Kohler 20 hp....just barely over 400 hours
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by gtech12v Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:13 pm

almost new keep that baby no need to replace for now
spin the engine at 3100 rpm's and the blower at 3600 and put a real blower silencer on it and be done

gtech12v
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:16 pm

I am actually waiting for the heater to warm up the garage so that I can go out and set a new pressure relief valve and test it on some carpet samples.

The silencer will definitely be part of the design....might even be able to coat the silencer with that ceramic sound deadener as I think it is rated for the heat.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Well, I over-did the spring a little. The lowest I could dial back the vacuum setting was 16 Hg before I was out of threads...will have to tweak it some more, but it pulled strong on the carpet samples without bogging down.

My fast idle is set at 3540 rpm, which sounds a little high to me, but that will be for another day.

It felt pretty good to sit there and have this machine running after it has been sitting in storage for so long. I don't care for the Mr. Gasket pump much, but that will also be for another day. Right now, the machine is sound in performance and design....I will shelf the plans for an engine upgrade to sometime in the future.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Ron just get rid of that 20 HP engine you need the extra ponies...

Just Send it to me Very Happy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down