Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

trying to get started with used equipment . help!

+7
Ken Raddon
ACE Services
milspec6
Davey Cracker
Devon07
Mo
southernbred123
11 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

trying to get started with used equipment . help! - Page 4 Empty Re: trying to get started with used equipment . help!

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:57 pm

Most of us started under the same restrictions, that is how you start out.

Here is what you need to look at. You only make money if the wand is moving, so you need to focus on that over all else. That means finding work and working efficiently to provide yourself the most profit possible.

Portables can clean....no doubt about it, but it is the truckmount that gets you more work and allows you to work more efficiently. Getting to the point where you can make that leap will be important for your business and your future in this industry.

That doesn't mean going out and getting a second mortgage or something, but it should be on your radar and it will always be a risky move unless you win the lottery. You just have to find out if this business is a good fit for you and then follow your instincts.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

trying to get started with used equipment . help! - Page 4 Empty Re: trying to get started with used equipment . help!

Post by Goomer Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Baby steps.

Don't quit your day job.

Learning to clean efficiently with a portable is one of the best ways to master the fundamentals of cleaning and will pay of in the future and will help you avoid overextending yourself financially which is a common pitfall.

There is a lot to be said about the IICRC, but at a few hundred bucks, a 3 day class may be of benefit towards building a solid foundation and learning the fundamentals.

At the least, obtaining a copy of the IICRC's S100 clening standards and reference guide offers a good read.

Consider any business "partner" as being equivalent to 2 wives.

A blank 50/50 agreement without a clearly contracted exit strategy or buyout/buy-down terms which are well in your favor is a risky proposition which warrants clear safeguards against the very likelihood of it going sour, which should be expected in drafting contract terms.

I chose this business specifically because of my previous financial complications with so-called "partners" involving several different businesses, and to isolate myself from it happening again in the future.

Goomer
Goomer
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by southernbred123 Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:41 pm

I haven't been on in a while. Been battling kidney stones and haven't done much of anything. I have a applebees to clean the carpets in. My mytee is down . I have the whittaker going. Would it be a good idea to try to clean restaurant carpet with just the whittaker? I'm hesitant because of the grease and food stains. the carpet is a year old and hasn't been touched. They recently had the parking lot resurfaced and the tracking has done its toll on the carpet also.

Last edited by southernbred123 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more)

southernbred123

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Sorry to hear about the kidney stones....reduce the protein and increase the water and you should not have any more problems. I went through a period like that due to chronic dehydration, always carry a bottle with me now.

It doesn't sound like a great situation for the Whittaker solo....might work, but you will have to work hard to do it and that means wasting a lot of time. Do you have someone who can loan you a unit?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by southernbred123 Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:33 pm

i can borrow that brand new truck mount on a 50/50 split. might be worth while just to get the account.

southernbred123

Back to top Go down

Post by southernbred123 Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:35 pm

its still sitting in the guys driveway with 3 hrs on it

southernbred123

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Well, 50% beats 0% everytime. If you need the tm to get the account, then that would be the right move.

I still would try for 60/40 in your favor as he isn't out there using it and the more contracts you can find, they better chance he has of selling you that unit.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by southernbred123 Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:40 pm

yea. i want to get a good cleaning on it and sale a maintenance program with the whittaker.

southernbred123

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:41 pm

You have the right plan then.....go in fully loaded, and DRINK MORE.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:42 pm

milspec6 wrote:You have the right plan then.....go in fully loaded, and DRINK MORE.

Water that is..... Very Happy
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by southernbred123 Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:43 pm

Will do!!! I drink like a camel now.. thanks

southernbred123

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:03 pm

I would tell him youll work off the TM at a 50/50.

basically any TM you try and sell on craigslist or wherever you can expect a 60-70% loss.

30k TM youll probably get 13/14k for it all said and done if your lucky and thats not going to sell in the first week, I still see TMs on CL that were posted 3 years ago.. price slowly drops but it never sells until it gets really low and they accept the loss.

so maybe you could work a deal with him so he gets a much better price for his lightly used equipment but paid off slowly over a few years
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:06 pm

partners arent bad as long as you both trust each other.

however many carpet cleaners are untrustworthy
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:19 am

I highly doubt a crb will do the job on a greasy pit restaurant even as an in between high heat TM maintenance program
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Yeah, I agree with Mo, it will need TM to clean restaurant properly, unless if it's cleaned very frequently, like once a month, which I doubt they will do that often.
I also agree with AC on making him an offer on the TM, however I would definitely put everything in writing and sign in front of a notary, let him know that's to protect both of you.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4