Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Trailer Heater?

+2
milspec6
Jeffclean
6 posters

Go down

Trailer Heater? Empty Trailer Heater?

Post by Jeffclean Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:49 pm

Hey Guys,

we have a trailer that we haul equipment in. it has power (running, tail, and interior lighting) so was wondering with winter coming is there a heater we can install and hook up to the existing wiring to prevent liquids from freezing while enroute?

thanks!

Jeff

Jeffclean

Back to top Go down

Trailer Heater? Empty Re: Trailer Heater?

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Sure, how cold does it get in your area?

There are a lot of 12v auxiliary heaters out there that you can use and depending upon how cold your area is, might be all that you need. Just make certain that you aim the heat towards the floor or else all the heat will be from 2 feet above leaving everything below it frozen.

In colder environments, you will need to insulate that trailer as anything resting against metal will freeze faster.

If you don't mind running heater hoses to the trailer, you can use the coolant system of your vehicle to provide a great deal of heat using a Mojave heater. I used one inside my old van and it was very effective.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/mojave-heater-172.html
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffclean Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:45 pm

it can get -20 at times...brrrrr! lol

Jeffclean

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Same in my neighborhood....it can and will be a challenge at times.

You will definitely need to insulate then. I run 1 inch rubberized foam along the walls and ceiling of my van which can make about a 10 degree difference without a heater and a huge difference with a heater.

You can also cover it in spray foam, fiberglass insulation and panels, etc.,,,even lining it with moving blankets can help. On short runs away from an outlet, you would be okay down to the teens temperature-wise, but you will need to plug in a heater when you get there.

Insulate the interior and set-up a 12v heater down near the floor or else a coolant supplied heater and you should be able to get by. I still refuse to go out when temps drop below 20 degrees now....unless it is a large job.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:21 pm

As for heat rise if you put a peace of insulation board over the top and one side of the unit then blow the heat under the side of the unit and the board will slow the heat rise as well as absorb the heat keeping the heat at the unit.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:29 pm

I think we need some more information on what is in the trailer. What fluids are you carrying that you need to protect and how is the trailer set up?

If things aren't real heavy, you could build a thin sub-floor with radiant heat panels....might not be the cheapest, but very nice.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffclean Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:04 pm

You guys are so helpful! We are a BSC so are hauling carpet cleaning chemicals, floor finishes, other units with water in them, etc. I wish there was an easy way to attach a 12 volt heater to the lighting inside the trailer to avoid the LP tank situation.

Jeffclean

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:19 pm

I think if I lived in an area with really cold winters it would just be a must to get them in a building.

of course that has to be heated and insulated too, but at least there you can really control the climate and store all sorts of stuff that could freeze.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:02 pm

Well, sounds like what you really need is a van, but I know how it goes...I started with a trailer at one time.

You can install a 12v heater pretty easily. You can set up a power inverter off your vehicle or even just use a deep cycle marine battery which you would need to recharge nightly.

I still strongly suggest installing some insulation first. Does your pull vehicle have enough room to carry the chemicals while the trailer just carries items that are safe from freezing?

It still sounds like a van is in your future if you are going to operate in those temperatures.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffclean Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:39 am

I've thought of a van but rear wheel drive and snow/ice conditions sound dangerous. Are there vans that handle well in winter? Wish there were 4 wheel drive vans.

Jeffclean

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:12 am

There are still 4x4 vans (Quigley conversions), but they aren't cheap. If the load isn't too heavy, you could go with an all-wheel drive Astro van. I know of one company that runs Astro vans with truckmounts inside.

Personally, I don't find driving a van in the winter difficult. You are carrying a lot of weight so traction really isn't much of a problem except in a storm and frankly, those are days that I stay home.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:50 am

I think a propane tank on the tongue against the trailer and run a line....it will be nice! you can really control the heat and not regret a cold trailer when in use.....lines will be warm etc. Just something small....not sure whats out there for that but it would be my take.

Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Raddon Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:14 am

I ran a trailer for a while and it is difficult to keep warm with insulation and without well that's darn near impossible.

I tried the propane heater and they sweat. That means that they form a vapor on the walls and ceiling and that vapor is yellow and builds up fast.

My temps get down to single digits so not as low as yours. And at single digits I don't go out. Too hard to work and too much risk of freezing/bursting stuff.

Ken Raddon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down