Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Carpet re-stretching

+5
Fuzzsucker
Joe Bristor
Ryan S
Freemind1
bwild
9 posters

Go down

Carpet re-stretching Empty Carpet re-stretching

Post by bwild Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm needing to add this to my services. I'm becoming too busy to sub it out and lose out on money and it's become a huge hassle to try to schedule someone else to do it. Just looking for tips. Please help.

1. Best stretcher to buy
2. How much do I charge to do it etc.

bwild

Back to top Go down

Carpet re-stretching Empty Re: Carpet re-stretching

Post by Freemind1 Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:00 pm

If you have experience already, sounds great.

If you DON'T have experience, I would continue subbing it out until you have experience under your belt.

I don't stretch and don't want to. No experience. If I did have the experience, then I would already own the tools I need.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Beher Claw. It's small and gets the job done. You just need to be careful putting too much pressure on the tack less strip. All you really need to know is how to correctly stretch a room. Meaning there is a 12 step process

I charge $75 a room.

After about three year experience I want the poles for stretching, but that means a helper is needed.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bwild Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:23 pm

@ryan s. Thank you. I appreciate it. The 7 step process is referring to a stretching diagram? Is $75 a room pretty normal just out of curiosity?

bwild

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:30 pm

I'm sure there are cheaper. Here is how I price carpet repair services. $125 regardless of what is needed for minimum service fee. After that $75 a room. So if you do two rooms the. $150. One room $125.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Fuzzsucker Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Start with basic repairs and work your way up to full stretches. Steve the carpet doctor is a good man to learn from. He has some videos. I've never seen them, but I have gone to his class for my iicrc cec's. Learned some interesting tips that I had never seen before.
Fuzzsucker
Fuzzsucker
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://thepremierclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Let me know if ya want me to email this to ya.

Carpet re-stretching 5648cf9c-4013-4c64-b47f-86ac97438071_zpsf96cbce0
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:08 pm

here is the iicrc guide standard link.  Page 17 is the diagram

http://www.carpet-rug.org/documents/publications/CRI_Carpet_Installation_Standard_2011.pdf
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Great information gang, I had a similar thought as bwild, but then I spoke with Joe and realized that with my knees....I will pass on that service.

milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:59 pm

For me its not like I'm knocking out a stretch every week or even every month. I just want to be the guy doing the work and seen as the all around pro in my area. It is hard on the body, but every once in a while is not that bad. This is one of those services that I most surly am paid well to perform.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:44 am

bwild,

You can learn the hard way (self taught, by trial and error), like I did, but I don't recommend it. Or you could learn from a person that's experienced, take some classes, or I'd say at the very minimum read books and study the diagram Ryan posted (that all I had to start with).

Tools: Or course you need a kicker, stair tool, knife, hammer, tack-strip, all the basics really!
Sounds like Joe has a good deal on a power stretcher, I'd check that out!!

Price: I charge by the sq. yd. and only bid a job once I've looked at it, and determined why the carpet is loose/rippled. If it's a poor install then it's pretty straight forward, just not stretched tight to begin with usually. Or sometimes it's because the tack-strip has come loose (most of the time you see this on concrete sub). Theses are things I want to know in advance, so I know what kind of work and how much time it's going to take to do the job properly, repair/replace tack-strip/double tack. I normally get $5-6 sq. yd, and more if it needs tack-strip repair, new metal, re-seaming, and just how much furniture has to be moved to do the job? I just did a biiiggg family rm that was 50 sq yds. that needed tack-strip re-nailed (on concrete) and double tack in most areas. If I priced by the room I would have been screwed, the job took about 4 hrs, and at $6 yd. plus tack repairs and new metal it was a bit over $400. Plus the cost of cleaning too. Smile 

I once did a church sanctuary that was 100'x200', just another reason to charge by the job/sq yd. lol! 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:17 am

Thanks Davey,

See you can tell I do very little of it. Good advice I believe I'll make that transition myself.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bwild Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:40 pm

I just saw all these posts. For some reason I wasn't notified by email that people were responding. joe, I will give you a call tomorrow about the stretcher. I've taken the iicrc class from the carpet surgeon and found it very interesting. I bought his carpet repair kit and have been doing small repairs etc for about 2 years. I'm getting more and more people asking me if I stretch or that they would prefer to use a company that does both etc. I think it's time for me to jump in. It's too hard to depend on the guy i sub out because he's busy too and can't get to jobs as fast as i need. I have a general understanding, but definitely need lots of practice. @ryan S and @davey I really appreciate all your help and can see where charging by the yard is the best option.

bwild

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 am

bwild wrote:I just saw all these posts. For some reason I wasn't notified by email that people were responding. joe, I will give you a call tomorrow about the stretcher. I've taken the iicrc class from the carpet surgeon and found it very interesting. I bought his carpet repair kit and have been doing small repairs etc for about 2 years. I'm getting more and more people asking me if I stretch or that they would prefer to use a company that does both etc. I think it's time for me to jump in. It's too hard to depend on the guy i sub out because he's busy too and can't get to jobs as fast as i need. I have a general understanding, but definitely need lots of practice. @ryan S and @davey I really appreciate all your help and can see where charging by the yard is the best option.
Sounds like you're on the right path. cheers And yes, it's takes practice practice practice, nothing beets hands on experience. Cool 

If Ryan and I (or anyone really) were helpful, click that lil "+" on the right side of our post, it gives positive reputation. Very Happy And I think Joe B. said we would be handsomely rewarded with free products for having a high +Positive Reputation........Weeeeeell, maybe he didn't really say that, probably just my wishful thinking. dancing laughing 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bwild Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:23 am

Maybe I'm smoking something, but I don't see the + sign. I do this all from my phone and wonder if that's why I can't see it.

bwild

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:38 am

Davey Cracker wrote:
bwild wrote:I just saw all these posts. For some reason I wasn't notified by email that people were responding. joe, I will give you a call tomorrow about the stretcher. I've taken the iicrc class from the carpet surgeon and found it very interesting. I bought his carpet repair kit and have been doing small repairs etc for about 2 years. I'm getting more and more people asking me if I stretch or that they would prefer to use a company that does both etc. I think it's time for me to jump in. It's too hard to depend on the guy i sub out because he's busy too and can't get to jobs as fast as i need. I have a general understanding, but definitely need lots of practice. @ryan S and @davey I really appreciate all your help and can see where charging by the yard is the best option.
Sounds like you're on the right path. cheers And yes, it's takes practice practice practice, nothing beets hands on experience. Cool 

If Ryan and I (or anyone really) were helpful, click that lil "+" on the right side of our post, it gives positive reputation. Very Happy And I think Joe B. said we would be handsomely rewarded with free products for having a high +Positive Reputation........Weeeeeell, maybe he didn't really say that, probably just my wishful thinking. dancing laughing 
PS. You can also click that negative symbol to reduce those reputation points:D
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Mo wrote:PS. You can also click that negative symbol to reduce those reputation points:D
OK wise guy!.......I just tested that on you to see if it worked, and it did!! sunny lol! 

bwild, yes it's probably a feature you can't see on your phone. smash pc 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:10 pm

I just don't have the knees for carpet stretching. I didn't know this but the home depot here rents a carpet stretcher with 30 plus feet of extension poles I think its Roberts
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kleen1 Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:23 am

I get a bit of carpet cleaning only because I do repairs which includes stretching. I have used most of the stretchers including the behr claw and have found nothing is better that a full power stretcher. I charge anywhere from $125 to $200 per room depending on size and layout. I have a real estate sales group that I work for regularly.
kleen1
kleen1

http://masterkleen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Welcome to the forum Kleen1 and please continue to post. I recall and installer getting carpet cleaning jobs by optimizing his site on carpet repairs and re stretching.

In your opinion what should be done first stretching or cleaning?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Mo wrote:

In your opinion what should be done first stretching or cleaning?
It really doesn't matter, but if I'm doing both on the same day, I prefer to stretch first.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kleen1 Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:53 pm

I prefer to stretch first, I don't like to crawl around on damp carpet.
kleen1
kleen1

http://masterkleen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down