Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Managing your business from another state?

+3
dp1
milspec6
Mo
7 posters

Go down

Managing your business from another state? Empty Managing your business from another state?

Post by Mo Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:48 pm

I would imagine the most important aspect of this strategy would be to hire the right person for the job. Someone that's reliable, trustworthy, personable, with good sales skills etc. This person would paid an good hourly rate plus commission. Unfortunately this person would start of a  tech cause I would have the funds to pay a manager and tech

Anyone ever manage their service business from out of state? It's probably a lot more difficult that it looks and filled with challenges and pit falls. Especially for an owner OP that like to control everything.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Managing your business from another state? Empty Re: Managing your business from another state?

Post by milspec6 Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:08 pm

Where are you moving....you just got there?

I don't see that ever working out. It wouldn't take long for a tech that was all those things to decide that he didn't need you. He would be in business for himself in a heart beat.

Now, if you set-up a franchise it might work, but you would also have to be a jerk to make that work out as well.

Nope, I think you are stuck where you are.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Managing your business from another state? Empty Re: Managing your business from another state?

Post by dp1 Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:58 am

You certainly can !! Aside from the things you mentioned above, get a good GPS system installed, the one which can log everything, their stops, how long they stop at that location, etc.
And let the tech know that if he screws up by taking side jobs, etc, he's gone in a heart beat !!
You should also offer bonuses if he upsells some other services and he should report the additional services done right away to you, on other words, keep him in a very short leash but make sure the money makes him happy and not want to do anything else.
When you get here to Whittier with the moving truck, let me know, I'll swing by to help you unload, I'll bring 5 guys from Home Depot laughing
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:32 am

I was in Hawaii until you snapped me out of it Mil.

That's what I was thinking DP, pay him well and make sure he has some skin in the game. My main role would be to pump up the volume enough to hire a manager which would hopefully be the tech.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:52 am

A guy here tried that, only he was 4 hours away. Just closed it down.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:01 pm

It can be done easily as long as its someone you trust and is driven by money....he has to have a percentage deal. My take would be something like a 30% partner or something close. this way he is money driven and can do well also...if they just work and have no "big gain" whaaaaa whaaaa whaaaaaaaaa.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:52 pm

I didn't read all the responses, but man, I don't really see that working long term. If you could make it work and have true success at it, I'd say go into a more lucrative biz and make it work there..

But I'm a professional sceptic , that has a hard time even hiring help I can oversee, let alone not being able to.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:19 pm

I almost did it a couple of years ago, not other state but my old service area that I still have the phone number, it was 5 hours drive from LA but I had doubt about my former employee, I decided that it wasn't a good time but if I have someone that I can fully trust, I would do it in a heart beat !
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:28 pm

dp1 wrote:You certainly can !! Aside from the things you mentioned above, get a good GPS system installed, the one which can log everything, their stops, how long they stop at that location, etc.
And let the tech know that if he screws up by taking side jobs, etc, he's gone in a heart beat !!
You should also offer bonuses if he upsells some other services and he should report the additional services done right away to you, on other words, keep him in a very short leash but make sure the money makes him happy and not want to do anything else.
When you get here to Whittier with the moving truck, let me know, I'll swing by to help you unload, I'll bring 5 guys from Home Depot laughing

Hence my point about you would have to be a jerk to make it work. Razz
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:24 am

I kike Devons idea of a partnership. That would definitely allow him to have some skin in the game and encourage growth. I'm not sure how long that partnership would last before he decides to bolt.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:20 am

Mo wrote:I kike Devons idea of a partnership. That would definitely allow him to have some skin in the game and encourage growth. I'm not sure how long that partnership would last before he decides to bolt.

One good season at best in my opinion.

Just ask yourself if you were that guy. How long would you operate that way?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:49 am

I did it Rob! I was the other guy....I made good money and it went south when the owner decided to cut me back to 25%. He thought 33% was too much after a while, he learned it was well worth it after I left.....I was the other guy you wanted! He called and begged me for about a year to come back. All he had to do was spend his percentage and not ever stress over the company.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:58 pm

very do able and its done everyday by hundreds of thousands of companies.  

but you have to have real systems in place for quality control,  equipment maintenance,   booking,  etc  

The easiest best way for a smaller company is if you have a family member in that area who needs work and is trustworthy.

once your guys are trained a program like House Call pro would be a must, it would handle about 95% of your headaches
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:01 pm

Devon07 wrote:I did it Rob! I was the other guy....I made good money and it went south when the owner decided to cut me back to 25%. He thought 33% was too much after a while, he learned it was well worth it after I left.....I was the other guy you wanted! He called and begged me for about a year to come back. All he had to do was spend his percentage and not ever stress over the company.

I am surprised....you might be the exception to the rule. Unless it was a franchise, I just don't see it working. I know that I would never have done it for more than a year at best unless the owner was providing something more than just a percentage.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:06 pm

33% is low unless he was paying all the expenses
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:32 pm

33% was mine! I literally took 33% out of the total income. It wasn't low at all....as a matter a fact, he seen how much I made and it bothered him so he changed the game plan and lost....it was set up with the perfect dynamics until he changed it. He was making about the same without working except for the monthly books.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:50 pm

That is what I don't get though, you made 33%, but did all the work except the books. At what point did you realize that you could make 100% without him?

For me, the owner would have to supply an awful lot to the mix for me to do all the work for 33%. He would have to supply me with a building, vehicles, equipment, inventory, etc. before I would be happy with that deal.....even then I would leave in a couple of years.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Seems like you guys are forgetting the expenses, there are fixed expenses ( insurances, city licenses, workers comps, etc ) and there are variable expenses ( fuel, equipments maintenance and parts, depreciation, cleaning solutions, taxes, etc ).

After all the expenses depending on how much profits ( that determines how much uncle Sam take ), the total costs can be 35% to 60% because taxes is the biggest one ( around 35% for sole proprietor ).

That being said, I wouldn't do 30% or more, I would do max 20% with some bonus at the end of the year to make sure he gets almost 50 - 50 split after all the expenses, I would show him everything to make sure he knows I'm treating him as a partner, rather than as a worker. But I would take care of phone call duty off of his hand to minimize "doing jobs on the side" risk.

I used to make 20% from total gross income a while back when I managed a cleaning company and I worked my butt off upselling, he used to make $ 25 - $ 30 grand a month just from my van alone ( me with a helper ), but that wasn't out of state owner situation. I was very happy with making 60k a year, but then the owner started disrespecting me when I complained about another tech using my van on sundays and didn't clean it up at the end of his shift, that's when I bolted out of there.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:33 pm

I still dont make 100%...if you do, we need to talk.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:33 pm

DP...+1
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:35 pm

DP...you and I had the same issues. funny how they realize they messed up letting us become unhappy.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:31 pm

I wasn't implying that you kept the 100%, just that you weren't sharing any of the income with another person.

You also hit an issue right on the head that doesn't get talked about much and that is keeping an employee happy. There are not many business owners out there that understand that part and is one of the reasons we all lose employees....often over something that seemed trivial to us.

I lost a really good employee a few years back because he placed his outside activities ahead of work too much (IMHO). He was in his lat 20's yet he played paint ball on the weekends and even competed regionally.

We had a large hotel job scheduled that was very important to my business at the time and he told me he would not be coming to work (3 days notice). The reason was that his paintball team had a chance to qualify for some national tournament and it was over the same weekend.

I gave him a lecture about being an adult, honoring his obligations....you know the basic Dad talk and he gave me his resignation. He was the best employee I ever had to this day, but I couldn't stand that his priorities weren't the same as mine.

There are many who would have done the same thing as I did, but looking back, I really shouldn't expect an employee to place the same priority on the business as I did.

Little things matter, like respect and flexibility. I was used to giving orders in the Marines and not worrying about what the privates in the company thought about the plan, but it doesn't always translate like that in the private sector.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Usually pay makes them get in tune with your priority.....give them just more than they could get somewhere else....when they prove they are worthy...kick it up!
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down