Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

What am I missing here?

4 posters

Go down

What am I missing here? Empty What am I missing here?

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 pm

I've been asked to bid on cleaning some folding office chairs with open weave backs.  I didn't see any real concerns at first inspection and then the story unfolded which makes me wonder what am I missing?

These chairs were being used by board members at quarterly meetings, but a staff member mistakenly used them for the past couple of months for children events and now they are showing some minor staining and an apparent change from creme to a beige.

I really didn't know why they didn't just wipe them down themselves with a mild cleaner until they told me that each chair cost over $400 and the CEO made it perfectly clear that they had to be "professionally" cleaned only.

So, I took another look at the chair to see what I missed.  Seat bottoms are not real leather and the backs are not silk, just what appears to be nylon in a sort of popcorn weave....probably very nice in a hot board room, but $400?

I have cleaned a lot office chairs in my day and normally when I see a fine weave back they are old, yellow, and so dry that they just split under the tension.  These chairs are in excellent shape, so I don't see any issues with that.

So, what am I missing.....how can this be $400 and what risks am I not seeing?  

The expectations are obviously pretty high and the last thing I want to do is fill my basement with 52 damaged folding chairs at $400 a piece, but I am just not seeing the difficulty with cleaning these chairs.

I checked the tag, but there was no manufacturer listed, just that it was built in 2013 in Bruce Mississippi....I guess I will start looking for information there.  Can't be too many chair builders located in Bruce can there?

What am I missing here? Chairf11

What am I missing here? Chairb11
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

What am I missing here? Empty Re: What am I missing here?

Post by Mo Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:16 pm

The back rest looks like resin the kind of stuff you see on outdoor patio furniture
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:20 pm

It has a real soft feel to it...sort of like cotton, but I am almost certain it is just nylon although I didn't have the chance to burn test it.

A folding office chair with faux leather....$400?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:49 pm

The back looks like cotton to me and that's probably why it's $ 400 and the other strong reason is the chair store has a really good salesman laughing
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:16 pm

I am beginning to lean towards the salesman angle as well....I think they got fleeced on the purchase.

I'm going to probably end up cleaning them unless my price is way over the top....will have to thing this one over before bidding.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:38 pm

If they paid $400 a chair they shouldn't have a problem with your price...clean one and wait a day. I bet they clean just fine, I don't see any reason for worry...do burn test for sure, know what your cleaning...knowing the material will certainly help chose the correct product for an amazing outcome. Would be curious to know what price range you come in at. Im curious if its close to what I would charge....wish I could see them in person.

Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:46 pm

http://www.mystloffice.com/new-furniture-unitedchair.html There is a chair in here that looks like that one...made by United Chair in Bruce
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Nice find Devon, it looks very similar. Too bad they didn't provide more information or price. I will try and call them and see what I can find out.

As for the bid, right now, I am leaning towards $11 each. A standard kitchen chair for me is $6 - $12, so this one falls into that target zone. I could probably stretch it out much higher considering their reactions to the stains, but I really don't see these things as being difficult to clean at all.

Even at $11, I will be looking at $152 / hour so it would hit my target goal.

I will give it some more thought this weekend. I am not a greedy guy and like to always be fair, but this is the same company that once paid $21 per theater seat and apparently $400 for a $200 dollar (at best) chair.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:27 pm

My take would be close on price, I was thinking $12 per chair and thats cleaning material only....if they want each chair cleaned including metal and plastic, I would go $18 and use lemon oil (lightly) to wipe everything down staying away from the material. Ive learned to bid chairs at whatever price I was happy with THEN include the total chair price.....Im about 50-50 on the extra.....sometimes its a little more work to wipe the other parts down versus just cleaning but it needs to be done. Some guys will just price the whole thing and let it go...pricing in two parts is letting them pick one or the other or both....bet they jump on it @ $18 A $950 to clean $20k in chairs is not bad at all. This is not greedy, especially when you will be close enough to inspect each chair...I noticed they have a lifetime guarantee too. Wink
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:38 pm

I see the bid in the same way as you (probably shouldn't be shocked by that) and maybe that lifetime warranty is why they are so expensive.

I will be submitting my final bid Monday and probably cleaning them the first week in Jan. It is always nice starting the new year with a job.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Good luck, keep us posted.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:15 pm

Scott is right, I would definitely cleaning first, the dirtiest one if possible, not only it demonstrates your work quality, you can also be sure the fabrics withstand cleaning chemicals and heat.
And I would shoot for more $$ if I were you, knowing they cost $ 400 and have lifetime warranty, the owner must expect them to last a while, if it cleans well, I would shoot for $ 20 / chair, that's "only" 5% of new chair price.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 pm

I understand your point Dp and value your opinion as always. I will be considering it this weekend before I submit the bid.

One of my main concerns is that this customer views me as the "go to" professional for all of their building needs and part of that is due to my honest pricing. Cleaners have received huge rates in the past, but never a second job as a result. I am the only cleaner they have stayed with for more than one time cleanings.....over 4 years now and counting.

At the present time, I command 8 large buildings (over 115,000 sqft of carpet) with them and will be adding 4 more this Spring, so I don't want to ever appear to be taking advantage of them....not that $20 is out of line, as it really isn't if the chair requires careful treatment.

I guess my problem is the unknown of these chairs. If they clean up easily, then I will feel that $20 was excessive, but if it turns out to be a delicate matter cleaning them, than my $11 base line would be too low.

Isn't it funny how it always seems that cleaners are charging too low when it isn't us doing the cleaning? I thought your rug bid was too low and you think my chair bid is low.....I wonder why we as the cleaner tend to aim low , but take the other stance for others?

I'm sure there is a psychiatrist out there who would love to study that one.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:50 pm

True Rob...its all about you and your business model....I did not know about the extra info when I mentioned my price...I would however stay the same OR I would just be up front and tell them, if they clean easy its $11 and if they are a beast they are up to $18 or $20.....are you planning on cleaning the whole chair for the $11?....metal and plastic and all?

They trust you...just be honest then. Wink

My son and I had a good laugh today about a very small job that was easier than the drive...15 miles to the dirt road that went 6.5mi to the 1 mi long driveway that was really rough...I need to wash my van if that tells you anything.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:58 pm

My bid is just for cleaning the backs....no frames and no seat bottoms, but I will probably end up wiping down the frames anyway if there is any over-spray.

When you have to call a wrecker to get back out, then you can tell me the story....happened to me twice at the same house a year apart. Very Happy
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Lol, that's true huh, I was going to respond to that thread about the rug but forgot, ha..ha...
I seem to be charging more for upholstery since some fabrics can take much longer to clean than others, but now that I know the relationship between you and the customer I see why you don't want to come too high, I still think you can get slightly more than $ 11 though, come on Rob, I eat and drink a lot, so you need to spend good amount on that dinner in Vegas Laughing

I just saw your response, I take that back, $ 11 is a good price for just the back cleaning.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:20 pm

Each meal comes with a loaf of garlic bread and a table bowl of pasta as an appetizer, so hopefully you get full fast with those 6 pack abs. Laughing

I still have a 6 pack belly too, but they are based more on the beverage these days.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:30 pm

milspec6 wrote:Each meal comes with a loaf of garlic bread and a table bowl of pasta as an appetizer, so hopefully you get full fast with those 6 pack abs. Laughing

I still have a 6 pack belly too, but they are based more on the beverage these days.

I better pack some protein shake then since there's hardly any protein in that meal Mad
Lol, no 6 pack abs yet, still working on those, I have a couple more months to go before I feel the need to hire personal trainer, my goal was 1 year from when I started which is the end of February Firing Cat Dancing Cat
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Sticking to a plan for a year is quite the accomplishment...good job.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:37 pm

Thank you very much Very Happy after I think about it, there is lapse about a month when my back was out a couple of months ago, so I have til the end of March dancing

These holidays doesn't help with a couple of travel plans already in place Mad
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:21 pm

I started learning to play guitar in March as well and gave myself a year to be able to play a decent Margaritaville....I'm almost there.

I guess old dogs can still learn new things.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:52 am

Go to Florida with only the guitar....no money! play your way home....you will either fail and never play well OR you will live in Florida. win win
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Devon07 wrote:Go to Florida with only the guitar....no money! play your way home....you will either fail and never play well OR you will live in Florida. win win

I think that is how you become a blues legend....that and knifing a dude in a bar fight on the way.

With my playing skills, I would never make it out of Florida.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:55 pm

you gotta bring the knife into it every time. affraid
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down