Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Cat pump rebuilt.

+5
Pro Touch
ACpower1
Davey Cracker
milspec6
dp1
9 posters

Go down

Cat pump rebuilt. Empty Cat pump rebuilt.

Post by dp1 Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:57 am

I've had my pump rebuilt twice in the past 6 weeks and it's still leaking, the shop is rebuilding it for the 3rd time as I'm typing this, what can cause the leaking to persist with brand new seals every time it's being rebuilt ?
Do I need to raise the flag and buy a new pump if the 3rd time is the charm doesn't work and it's still leaking ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Cat pump rebuilt. Empty Re: Cat pump rebuilt.

Post by milspec6 Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:31 am

Are they polishing the plungers prior to installing new seals? If not, there is your problem.

Otherwise, could the pump not be bypassing properly? Is the valve good?

I've rebuilt my Cat 4 times now over the years and still runs strong without leaks. My guess is that you have a bypass issue or else bad rebuilders.

Oh, and are you using the prrrm a lube seals? They seem to hold up the best.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Unfortunately I can't answer any of your questions Rob, lol, regarding the bypass, what bypass are you talking about ?
The first rebuilt I had the plunger seals changed as well as all the oil seals, the 2nd one all the oil seals and the shaft seals, the 3rd one that's being done now they said that they're going to change the oil seals again, not sure what else as they haven't tell me anything as of now. Just hate wasting time waiting around.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:35 pm

Could be a cracked, worn or damaged plunger, or the crankcase is cracked on the oil seal mateing surface.......hopefully Robert is checking those, you might want to ask him, DP.

Heck I'd just have him replace the plungers while he's in there, and inspect the case really well.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:56 pm

Oil seals too failing....I was just thinking pressure seals.

Fatigue crack is possible...you did get down to near freezing this winter didn't you? Long shot, but for consideration.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:41 pm

warped case from over heating,   bad bypass possibly too much heat,   bad plunger warped or scarred from them not being careful with it.    

I know you dont like working on the TM Dp,   but the pump rebuild is a really easy one that I would learn how to do if I were you..   that way you know its done carefully.

oh and last possible cause?    classic mechanic not busy enough in the slower season taking a dump on you..   especially if your having this done at Jon Don,    the jon don here is just a joke for getting your TM worked on I would never ever let them even diagnose my TMs. Theyll keep fixing the pump but they many times wont even look into whats causing the failure, it sucks but its true.. just means more money for them

remember every big manfcter TM has planned ahead of time knowing they dont make enough on the initial sale,   so they rely actually more on you coming back for repairs...     ex employees of their companys have said this for years      

They have projected repair sales as part of the deal,   all lined up with Jon Don so you void warranty if its not done by their sanctioned shops,    they know the TM cost is say 25k with a guaranteed 5k after so many hrs,  and another guaranteed 5k after so many hrs.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro Touch Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:35 pm

What is leaking from the pump? Water or oil? Are the water and oil mixing?
Pro Touch
Pro Touch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:36 pm

AC speaks the truth...it was the same way in the automotive world.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Well gang, thank you all for the responses, and the biggest thanks goes to Eddy for actually calling me, that's beyond call of duty, lol, so here's the full story, 1st rebuilt is done by my mechanic and he replaced the oil seals and the water seals ( plunger seals ? ), the 2nd rebuilt was replacing the shaft seals and all the oil seals again, the 3rd one today was again the shaft seals and all the oil seals, apparently the o ring was either defective or being installed incorrectly ( Eddie thinks the later ), which I think so too, no cracked head otherwise they will be happy to let me know and charge me for it, lol.
I know I should be learning about all of these myself but I'm not very meticulous when it comes to these kind of stuff and I'm scared of messing things up and made things worse, it's one of my weaknesses that I need to work on Very Happy
Nonetheless thanks again for all your responses.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:18 pm

You probably could have just bought a new pump with the money you spent on repairs. But then again you probably have beast of a pump to go along with that beats of a TM
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:33 pm

Dp, buy yourself a used pump and take your time rebuilding it. You can find them for $150 - $200 and it would give you a spare and a lot of knowledge in the process.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:45 pm

milspec6 wrote:Dp, buy yourself a used pump and take your time rebuilding it.  You can find them for $150 - $200 and it would give you a spare and a lot of knowledge in the process.

That's actually not a bad idea at all, if I can find one used, not much 5cp5140 used out there, worst case scenario I f'd it up and best case scenario I have a working pump to replace the one installed now if it blows in the summer time, thanks Rob.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:33 pm

Mo wrote:You probably could have just bought a new pump with the money you spent on repairs. But then again you probably have beast of a pump to go along with that beats of a TM

Well I spent about $ 500 ( $ 350 labor and $ 150 parts for all the seals including shaft seals and plunger seals which is the most expensive ) and the 3rd rebuilt was the warranty work which is free, now since Robert gave me an idea, I started looking into used cat pump, I noticed that the one in my machine is 5cp3120.aw1 and the one on the Internet is 5cp3120 only, the weight is different between the 2, the aw1 weighs 6 lbs more, I'm just wondering if there's a used one out there, I want to make sure I buy the right one, any advice would be appreciated.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:56 am

Call Dultmeir and ask them...they are the real experts on these CAT pumps.

Butler uses a special Cat 435, which you can only get from Butler. Dultmeir knew that it was just a 430 with a different manifold to adapt the chemical pump which Butler uses.

I was able to purchase a new 430 and swap the old manifold for almost half the price....everything else is the same.

Give them a call....they are just 45 minutes down the road from me.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:52 am

I called them and apparently that aw1 is the high heat and higher rpm for gas engine, they have similar model which is 5cp3120.3400, $ 920 ( including shipping ) ouch !!
The aw1 is $ 1100 plus shipping, ouch times 2 !! Lol
If you guys see used ones out there for either model let me know, I'm willing to learn ! Thanks guys !
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:46 pm

I sent today watching YouTube vid's about rebuilding cat pumps. Injector chem systems and other fix it stuff. Some people pay 100's of $ to learn this stuff and I got it for free. Now if I DIYS and screw up, then the free wasn't so free.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:38 pm

Hey DP1 did you get your pump fixed or what.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Yes sir, so far so good, I'm still using that machine every day to make sure it's good and no more leaks, I'm still battling the clogging up issues with that machine though, I descaled it the other day and it's still clogging my wands out, white chalky detergents residues.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Is this another example of incompatibility of rinses? Are you mixing different rinses, like say an encap with an acid?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:06 pm

That's the problem I was having, incompatibility....mixing encap with liquid dry slurry was causing serious clogging in the form of "white chalky residues" also. Now since I've switched to straight encap rinse I've had no problems.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:13 am

I didn't mix anything in my detergents tank, straight dry slurry, half the dilution rate that the manufacturer recommends, mix it properly with hot water gallon by gallon, I have issues with my on / off valve though, it needs to be replaced cause it keeps flowing detergents out even on "off" position.
What's funny is it only happens in this machine, other machines are fine, I'll keep this updated as soon as I figure out what causes this.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by gtech12v Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:48 pm

dp1 wrote:I didn't mix anything in my detergents tank, straight dry slurry, half the dilution rate that the manufacturer recommends, mix it properly with hot water gallon by gallon, I have issues with my on / off valve though, it needs to be replaced cause it keeps flowing detergents out even on "off" position.
What's funny is it only happens in this machine, other machines are fine, I'll keep this updated as soon as I figure out what causes this.

do you have a last step chemical injection
if you do check the chemical diaphragm

gtech12v
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Gerson, the diaphragm was replaced a couple of months ago, what should I watch out for when I check it ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:15 pm

On friday morning I decided to dump all the detergents in the jug out, I kinda saw some clear sandy residues in the bottom of the jug, but when I dumped them out I didn't see any of those residues, rinsed the jug with clean water and asked my tech to refill with water and see if it's still clogging the wand, they said no it didn't, all day no clogging, hopefully it stays that way.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down