Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero

+4
dp1
Davey Cracker
milspec6
Mark Saiger
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero Empty My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero

Post by Mark Saiger Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Son in law called in sick today....

started out the day at -26 degrees below zero, down to -28 below at one point....

The wife came out to help out...was a crazy day for sure with the cold....

Even had her running the Titanium wand

and the  Zipper wand for the first time today Smile

My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero 2015-02-19%2014.28.13_zps7xj7o8xd

My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero 2015-02-19%2008.48.35_zpso2spdtkc

My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero 2015-02-19%2014.27.38_zpshyaqn8if

My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero 2015-02-19%2013.46.55_zpsigurbsls

Mark Saiger

www.saigers.com

"Bring on the Blue!"
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.saigers.com

Back to top Go down

My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero Empty Re: My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Just what kind of heat are you holding atw on a day like that?

At -15, I had slush in my vac hose and even the inline filter (sitting in the van) clogged up solid with slush running from 150 feet out. It played hell with my blower.

Sometimes I think you are nuts to work on days like that. Good to have help on a moments notice though.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero Empty Re: My wife out helping today, zipper wanding, -28 below zero

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Greatr your wife is helping out in need, and of course the sponsors love another plug!! wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:35 pm

milspec6 wrote:Just what kind of heat are you holding atw on a day like that?

At -15, I had slush in my vac hose and even the inline filter (sitting in the van) clogged up solid with slush running from 150 feet out.  It played hell with my blower.

Sometimes I think you are nuts to work on days like that.  Good to have help on a moments notice though.

Still really crazy good heat!

Can barely hang onto the hose, wand or connectors running 12 flow six jet Titanium...

Butler High Heat unit.

This was yesterday at -20 below

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:58 pm

I've been running a 12 flow Ti for 4 years, but I don't see heat like that in those temps.  Granted, my old butler is not the high heat machine, but it does have a new Hx and I run a 200 degree t-stat.

Don't take this wrong, but steam isn't heat.  I can drag my wand over a wet carpet and get tons of steam with only 160 degree water if the carpet is cold enough.  In fact, I see it all the time when cleaning store fronts at 15 degrees.

The new butlers can run 240 degrees which is well beyond my weak 200, but I remain a skeptic.  I would like to see that on a gauge atw....I would be fighting to hold 150+ atw starting from 200-205 degrees at the machine in that cold.

Again, don't take offense to this, but I would have to see a gauge to believe it.  This industry loves to demonstrate by showing all this steam snorting out of the wand, but that does not equate directly to temperature.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:32 pm

That is very true^^, as my LG heater is screwed up somehow 3and very low on heat, that's another story but with showing 180 on gauge at the TM today, I was still getting steam coming off the stair tool and I know the water just isn't real hot, so that steam isn't a good indicator I know...........and with my 4 jet Ti wand with jets real close to carpet I see little to no steam in the same situation......but I know that cold surrounding temp sure helps with the 'steam effect'!
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Hot...

Hot at the wand (on the wand)

Super hot high pressure line barely able to hang onto....

No open windows or doors anywhere near....

Just hot Smile

As far as what temp....

Bill Sukoreff did a lie detector test couple years back on cold weather with his Butler set up like mine and I think it was around 210 or 215 at the lie detector that day.

Couldn't tell you here what it was....just hot....LOL

Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Well, I get the hot part. I find a solution hose difficult to hold when the water gets over 170 degrees...you scald at what 120-130? It just means that it is hot, but not necessarily up in the 200 degree mark.

I don't believe that high heat is needed to clean, so I am good with lower temps and in no way am I attacking that butler. I just don't believe that it is slinging 200+ in that kind of cold.

Maybe it does....Bill may have proven that, I don't know. I remain the skeptic on this one.

But it is all good. Any cleaner willing to work at the temperature gets props from me and you can still clean well with high flow down to around 100 degrees....that Steamin Demon did for me and it would snort out steam from time to time as well. Rolling Eyes

I was just curious as to what the actual temperature was when cleaning in that cold due to my past experience, but like you said, "Just hot" and if your lines / hoses aren't filling with slush, it is impressive.

Still would love to see you add a temp gauge to those tools...I am a sucker for real world feedback information and I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong at those temperatures.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:51 pm

milspec6 wrote:Well, I get the hot part.  I find a solution hose difficult to hold when the water gets over 170 degrees...you scald at what 120-130?  It just means that it is hot, but not necessarily up in the 200 degree mark.

I don't believe that high heat is needed to clean, so I am good with lower temps and in no way am I attacking that butler.  I just don't believe that it is slinging 200+ in that kind of cold.

Maybe it does....Bill may have proven that, I don't know.  I remain the skeptic on this one.

But it is all good.  Any cleaner willing to work at the temperature gets props from me and you can still clean well with high flow down to around 100 degrees....that Steamin Demon did for me and it would snort out steam from time to time as well. Rolling Eyes

I was just curious as to what the actual temperature was when cleaning in that cold due to my past experience, but like you said, "Just hot" and if your lines / hoses aren't filling with slush, it is impressive.

Still would love to see you add a temp gauge to those tools...I am a sucker for real world feedback information and I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong at those temperatures.

Actually would be a fun test and I have wanted to do that....so will have to search for a lie detector and try it Smile
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:32 pm

I would love to see the results....it might just be that I need to upgrade my old butler. Wink
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:45 am

Mark, Joe Bristor has lie detector for wands $ 100, with a choice of 250 or 300 degrees gauge, including qc.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:39 pm

what solution line do you use mil?

I would look into the more expensive ones from pressure washer supply stores, they have some extremely thick high pressure lines that handle up to 300f

they of course arent ideal for summer/busy season because they are really thick and heavy but id bet you wouldnt lose nearly as much heat as say with something like a scheiffer skinny or parker paraflex
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:41 pm

I like to see that Saigers dont wear shoe covers, makes me feel better about it

we ditched the shoe covers about a year ago and man life is easier,   so much easier to just pack a little swiffer in the truck to wipe up hard floors if needed

with how much we go to and from the truck its such a pain to take them off and on
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I do remember Joe has the lie detectors... Will be on my list to get.

We do cover the entry floors with our poly and canvass tarps... Take off our shoes to Vac and prep,than shoes back on. We do sometimes wear shoe covers but not often. We are really careful to make shoes are clean enough to clean with.... But some people still use them all the time and I have respect for them.

I am using the Goodyear skinny hose Butler has for high heat. It doesn't lose heat as much as the thicker hose of theirs which we have on our other Butler. Easy to work with, but we do change hoses about once a year yet just for safety purposes

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Several years back I pulled a hammy or groin. The next day I was doing a 4 story country house. Took my wife with me to help ease the burden of set up. Can't move to fast with either of those pulls. She had no interest to work with me again.
Mark, that look from your wife might have been the; "YOU owe me big time" look.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:54 pm

Matt; My carpet cleaner wrote:Several years back I pulled a hammy or groin. The next day I was doing a 4 story country house. Took my wife with me to help ease the burden of set up. Can't move to fast with either of those pulls. She had no interest to work with me again.
Mark, that look from your wife might have been the; "YOU owe me big time" look.

A bit of truth there... Lol
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:29 pm

I still cant get over the -28 degrees part. Mark do you turn off the van? I would imagine you have to keep it running so the fluids don't freeze up
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:15 pm

ACpower1 wrote:what solution line do you use mil?

I would look into the more expensive ones from pressure washer supply stores,    they have some extremely thick high pressure lines that handle up to 300f

they of course arent ideal for summer/busy season because they are really thick and heavy but id bet you wouldnt lose nearly as much heat as say with something like a scheiffer skinny or parker paraflex

Used to use Goodyear Neptune for years, but have been running the Skinny for the last 18 months. At those temps., I don't think either one will be holding a lot of heat...especially if sitting on the concrete or ground.

Think about it, we are talking about 60 degrees below the freezing point of water. Polar bears wouldn't jump in that water.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Mo wrote:I still cant get over the -28 degrees part. Mark do you turn off the van? I would imagine you have to keep it running so the fluids don't freeze up
I would guess that when out to do a job; pull up, leave the van running, go in to meet/greet, go set up to clean.
I have a brother that use to live in Nome, Ak. In the winter when it got really cold, they didn't turn off the truck(24\7). There were guys that speciallized in un-freezing vehicles. Used a jet engine mounted on the back of a truck. Opened the hood and pointed the jet exhaust at the engine.
And my brother said there is a difference in -20 and -40. Lol. He lost me at (minus)
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:56 pm

Rob,
Could you run the solution hose inside a smaller diameter vac hose...to kinda shield it/insulate it from cold temps?? 50-75' of vac from van to house with the solution hose in it. Hmmmm.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Mo wrote:I still cant get over the -28 degrees part. Mark do you turn off the van? I would imagine you have to keep it running so the fluids don't freeze up

Van of course being a Butler PTO is running, but you shut the heat off, so we open the Butler Lid to help heat the cabin.

I also have viper remote starters programed for 1 hour (they can reprogram them this long max) and we keep things running while sitting with the heat on.

it is a challenge, but you just learn to keep things moving.

Today, I was working alone....and you just have to think out each move and have everything in place ready to grab and continue working. I do put a connector on the end of the hose and keep water moving when needed....but it really doesn't freeze that fast...you have a few minutes depending on what your hoses are exposed to.

I have a lot of cold weather cleaning tips/videos on my YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi9UefjEixJPGgxWPTnEUhg

Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:01 pm

Matt; My carpet cleaner wrote:Rob,
Could you run the solution hose inside a smaller diameter vac hose...to kinda shield it/insulate it from cold temps?? 50-75' of vac from van to house with the solution hose in it.  Hmmmm.

We have never found it to be needed....just keep water running.

It is actually more of a hassle to set up this kind of extra items....especially when you are out there freezing too....LOL
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:49 pm

I agree with Mark, the added gains of running solution hose through a piece of vac hose isn't worth the effort. I used to have pipe insulation on the first 25 feet of solution hose, but that was just a mess when rolling up.

I use bypass valves on my tools to keep the water flowing, never had a psi line freeze up. My issue has always been the vac hose and filter freezing up...that vapor would just turn to slush on the way through the hose. That filter just turns into an ice ball and that sits inside the van.

My fix is simply staying home when it gets below zero. Single digits okay, but not below.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Several years ago I did a job where the customer told me "last time someone cleaned, his hose made slight burn marks in my wood floor, and I don't want that again".
That CC had to pay to have the floor fixed. I know the CC personally. So I put the Sol line in a smaller vac hose. And used it from the entry door to the bed rooms.
The lady was so thankful for me being so considerate of her concern.

My thought was if you(rob) did that from the van to the front door; there would be less heat loss. Could it add enough rise in temp at the wand to be worth it? I don't know. it doesn't get that cold here, hallelujah for that.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:00 pm

Don't get me wrong, Matt, I was not tossing your idea aside. There is no doubt that it would help, I just don't know how much.

I toyed with the idea of making an insulator for winter using an old hose split down the middle with fiberglass insulation inside. Lay the solution hose in there and Velcro it shut.

In the end, it just become too much of a pita and left me freezing which is worse than the hoses freezing. Very Happy

I just decided that carpet cleaning isn't an emergency and can wait a day or two for better weather. Now, if you don't get better weather like Mark, then I guess you do what you have to do.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next