Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Cutomer changed plans!

+3
milspec6
Freemind1
Devon07
7 posters

Go down

Cutomer changed plans! Empty Cutomer changed plans!

Post by Devon07 Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:01 am

I got a call Monday for a water damage, the lady said she spent all weekend drying it out and wanted it cleaned because its starting to smell....lol Well, I knew from experience it wasn't dry! I bring my equipment just in case, to dry it out....when I get there she says it may still be a little wet here and there....I tested and it was soaked in walls, behind furniture, etc...I tell her it needs dried out and explain the cost involved (very upfront) I mention that I owed her the education so she can make an informed decision....she worries about mold etc and has me do it right she says!...I set up everything and spent a few hours with setup and treatments. My Dehu was pulling heavy (over 10 pints in my 2.5hrs) humidity was at 87% and before I left it was 79%.

She calls me when I get home and wants me to come get it all!...I asked if everything was okay and if I did anything wrong....she says no, its just finances! well, at this point her $500 deductible is used up and it makes no sense to get my equipment. So, I'm going to pick up my stuff today.

I suspect she talked to the insurance company and they probably said to just clean it "since its dry". She is a widow, I'm going to just get my stuff and leave....I'm not going to charge her anything.....I'm not sure what to think as I never had anyone do this before. I did not pressure and I was very respectful and informative...I owed her that....she lives alone and I can only imagine its someones mom/wife/grandma ...I took care of her! It sounds like she may just want me to clean it....this wont fix it! not even close....I will not clean this and she may think its because Im mad...Im not, Im bothered she is being lead in the wrong direction. I can see breathing issues down the immediate road.

It may have been her daughter too...she lives an hour away or something....they don't know whats involved, this is why I educated her, also why I dont want to charge at this point.....it creates more of a liability for me if I take any money. plus she may really be in a pinch! IDK

Im just venting but curious what you guys would do.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Cutomer changed plans! Empty Re: Cutomer changed plans!

Post by Freemind1 Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:44 am

I would pick up my things like you said.
Make her sign paperwork stating that she refused your services and that you warned her of the mold and damage potential. COVER your butt!

I also would not service her anymore. It's a liability for any cleaner that steps in there now after this, at least until all that damage has been remediated.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:49 am

Yes, I had her sign some papers stating just that. She tried to get me to clean...I denied...I hated to because she thought I was mad...I wasn't mad...I was aggravated that I couldn't teach her about what was going on. Turns out her daughter thought it was just not worth turning in. I mentioned that on the paperwork to...she signed and seemed oblivious to whats going on. It was bad enough she waited three days to call someone then denied service when she did. I seen signs of problems already and this will no doubt be an issue. (for her)
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:52 am

As a mold contractor, I can tell you what happens around here. She just found out from the insurance company that they will not cover it and she is paying out of pocket. Around here, they will not cover flooding or mold unless it meets some very finite parameters.

I would type a nice letter to the daughter and mother explaining what is likely to happen if the structure isn't dried properly....and soon! Send it certified so you have record of it being delivered and then you are out of the loop.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Raddon Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:27 pm

And that is why I don't do floods. But I am glad for her that a man like you was who she found.

Ken Raddon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:01 pm

She was covered! this wasn't a flood....this was what I call a water damage....she doesn't live in a flood zone...so I separate the two with language. She had a Category2 water damage and everything was perfect for me to tend to the job....she even made the classic mistake and waited....a cat1 can and will turn into a cat2 within 24/48 hrs as will a cat2 into a cat3 in the same time-frame. she is going to have trouble....I asked her to have her daughter call me....if she doesn't...it on them. Ive been doing water damages for over 25 years and this was a first....I went to court one time and won! its not hard to cover your butt....you just need to know what your doing.

I'm safe and have no worries on this....I'm just out some time and a few bucks....I told her and documented very well on the paperwork...even about having her daughter call me....if she doesn't....I can only do so much to help these people. I have literally done a few thousand of these jobs over the years.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Sounds like a better insurance environment over there. In my area, if the homeowner doesn't take action within the first 24 hours to mitigate the damage, they will not cover it.

You can only do so much to help people, they have to be adults too. Sometimes I just end up renting equipment to customers that can't afford my labor costs. I don't think she would benefit from that without some help from the family though.

Hopefully, this lady has a family that will intervene before the house becomes a liability.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Her daughter doesnt understand. this is what happens when someone else manages your funds and LIFE....I asked if I could explain to the daughter....she denied me. so, its not my issue. I did all I could aside of force.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:08 pm

Honestly its possible that when she talked to insurance she said something like the carpet cleaner is going to dry it out and the insurance company freaked.

Theyre pretty anal around here about using the big name franchises and they are very against a carpet cleaning company taking on the water damage job.. Ive heard it more than a few times.

even happened to me once when all I was going to do was extract water
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:14 pm

It is that way here too AC.

The funny part is that the "big name franchise" that specializes in water damage in this area hires me for the smaller residential jobs.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:43 am

There is no franchise here. Im in the sticks. I have a captive audience.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:25 am

Senior citizens are so often preyed up, the daughter probably believes she is helping.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Wow, I just went to a customer's home ( a renter ), her landlord scheduled an appointment and when I got there, the renter lady asked right away if we repair carpets, we asked what kind of repair, well we had lots of water over spilled on to the carpets, I asked what kind of water, she said well the plumber pulled the toilet out and as he did that, the neighbor upstairs flushed the toilet and you know what happens next, lol.
I immediately knew I wasn't going to clean this, went inside just out of respect and inspected and the carpets starting to show black around the edges, I told her I'll be contacting her landlord and walked out of there Shocked
What's interesting is this happened on Sunday and she told her landlord about it right away, it's crazy how certain people trying to save money doing things they have no clue about risks to others.
I think you did the right thing Scott, I think I heard somewhere that if you don't charge for service, legally you can't be sued ? Not sure how correct that info though but seems like you covered your butt good already.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:55 pm

A person can only sue for damages incurred....if you didn't charge anything and didn't damage anything, they are not injured in any fashion.

Wise choices held by all, it isn't worth risking the business over a single customer.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down